Looking for some #'s for Pensacola Bay - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree11Likes

Old 07-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Looking for some #'s for Pensacola Bay

I know this may sound Crazy for some of you but I am trying to get some Reef #'s for Pensacola Bay " I have 2 young little girls that love Fishing and don't want to go out in the Gulf with Daddy " anyway's Im not trying to still anybody's hunny holes or anything just looking for a decent spot to let them pull in something decent ....Any help would be Appreciated....

Thanks
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
Grouper

good luck trying to get some bay numbers
Ragon210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

Research sunkin boats in the pensacola bay with google. And get the coordinates. Check with different dive sites for that area for some inshore dive areas.
I researched the Josie Maria the other day, that would be a start
Most folks will not give them up unless someone wants to send you a P.m.
There are good drop offs in the channel that will hold fish.
I have no bay numbers to give you. I only have offshore numbers and I typically come out of orange beach in orange beach there is the ono island reef which is a experimental oyster reef. It's a public number you can look it up . We caught black snapper and very small gags during the winter there on shrimp. The gags were bait sized fish. Not big at all.
Never fished it during the warm water temps. Should have fish to catch using shrimp.
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Sailfish

Some guy made post on here last year with bunches around the turning basin,Ft Pickens and west of 3Mb.
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Look around the buoys that are in 20' of water or better. Circle them slowly while watching the bottom machine. This should give you a starting point.
Hook, THONAS J. RYAN and rr4611 like this.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Trigger

Thanks guys I'll give something a shot....
Old 07-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Sailfish

Here are some things to think about:

1. Shrimp boats will dump their nets near buoys so they dont pick up toilets, boots, etc the next time they pull. So, navigate slowly around the buoys that are in deeper and watch your machine.

2. There used to be a sunken boat near buoy #22. I dont know if it is covered up or not but its worth a shot.

3. I dove pickens the other day and there was a school of red snapper there that were in the 14in to 20in range. They werent hanging around any structure and it was good to see that kind of life in the bay.

4. Our bay gets to 60+ft deep and there are ledges all over the place. You need to spend the time in the water and learn what you are seeing on the bottom machine.

Good luck to you.
Hook and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar21 View Post
Here are some things to think about:

1. Shrimp boats will dump their nets near buoys so they dont pick up toilets, boots, etc the next time they pull. So, navigate slowly around the buoys that are in deeper and watch your machine.

2. There used to be a sunken boat near buoy #22. I dont know if it is covered up or not but its worth a shot.

3. I dove pickens the other day and there was a school of red snapper there that were in the 14in to 20in range. They werent hanging around any structure and it was good to see that kind of life in the bay.

4. Our bay gets to 60+ft deep and there are ledges all over the place. You need to spend the time in the water and learn what you are seeing on the bottom machine.

Good luck to you.
Sound advice. Thinking of doing that myself, got kids plus it will most likely pay when it's rough offshore.
spinfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Bottom-Scanning Nut
Mingo

I have side-scan map of the debris along side of the Three Mile Bridge that I can give you. It is in KMZ format. You can use Google Earth to view it and pull GPS coordinates.

Send me a PM if you want it.

FishEye

Last edited by FishEyeMaps; 08-09-2014 at 02:35 PM.
FishEyeMaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFISH KING View Post
I know this may sound Crazy for some of you but I am trying to get some Reef #'s for Pensacola Bay
Where do you launch your boat?

In the north end of the bay, there are a couple of good charted obstructions that hold fish. I have to make up names for these things, since there's not much info out there, so bear with me.

Big Ass Pipes
3022'50.14"N
8712'31.46"W
Three huge pipes sticking from the sand. Tons of fish holes nearby. Old radar reflector tower, maybe. It holds lots of nice red snapper and tons of spadefish.

Big Ass Wreck
3022'19.31"N
8713'53.57"W
This is probably the biggest wreck in the bay. It looks like a 60-foot shrimper or sailboat with a bunch of rigging sticking off the bottom. Holds snapper, grouper, sharks, Spanish mackerel and, in the winter, schooling redfish.

Marker 22 Wreck/Rubble
3020'27.62"N
8714'26.38"W
The other guys were right to tell you to look around the marker buoys for rubble. Almost all of them have some junk scattered around. Marker 22 also has a 20-something foot shipwreck right in the middle of it. There is usually someone anchored up on top of it, but if not, it's worth a shot.

I make a GPS chart that includes tons of unpublished stuff in the bay. It's available if you're interested in branching out, but those three above are some of my favorite bay spots. They should get you off to a good start.

Word for the wise: Sunny, cloudless, bluebird days don't bode well for bottom fishing in the bay. Try to be fishing on a grey day before a nasty cold front comes through. That's when they get hungry.

Edit:
Had an unsatisfied customer! Make sure you're using the numbers in the correct format. Here's my post in the other thread.

Quote:
In case OP or anyone else needs it, I converted the fake numbers into all three formats. I used the kickass tool at this website: http://www.geocheckpointing.com/coor...verter.php#frm

I also added a couple more numbers for the 3-mile bridge rubble. Those could be a handy way to make sure everything is set up right on your machine. Here's an overhead view of where they are in relation to the bridge: http://i.imgur.com/7cmC5Z7l.jpg

Bigass Pipes
Decimal degrees: N 30.380574 W 87.208741
Degrees, minutes: N 30 22.834′ W 087 12.524′
Degrees, minutes, seconds: N 30 22′ 50.07″ W 087 12′ 31.47″

Bigass Wreck
Decimal degrees: N 30.372029 W 87.231205
Degrees, minutes: N 30 22.322′ W 087 13.872′
Degrees, minutes, seconds: N 30 22′ 19.30″ W 087 13′ 52.34″

Marker 24
Decimal degrees: N 30.341006 W 87.240661
Degrees, minutes: N 30 20.460′ W 087 14.440′
Degrees, minutes, seconds: N 30 20′ 27.62″ W 087 14′ 26.38″

Bridge Rubble South
Decimal degrees: N 30.391807 W 87.183671
Degrees, minutes: N 30 23.508′ W 087 11.020′
Degrees, minutes, seconds: N 30 23′ 30.51″ W 087 11′ 01.22″

Bridge Rubble North
Decimal degrees: N 30.399697 W 87.186583
Degrees, minutes: N 30 23.982′ W 087 11.195′
Degrees, minutes, seconds: N 30 23′ 58.91″ W 087 11′ 11.70″

Last edited by foxtrotuniform; 12-01-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Unsatisfied customer.
foxtrotuniform is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in