Learning the reefs and wrecks - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 03-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Learning the reefs and wrecks

I know people don't like giving up and good spots and thats not what I am asking. lol but I am starting to run my boat out of Navy Pass and trying to learn where to go to find some good fishing. It seem that I find hardly any bottom structure running around out there but Im still learning and havent gone out real far maybe five miles. I have a 1976 20 ft mako with a 150hp evinrude with a 44 gallon tank so I am learning how far can I go safely on fuel. I would like to give my wife and daughter some time bottom fishing for decent fish. I have seen some boats in spots but don't believe in crowding them either. I have been out to the Russian freighter with a friend 4 years back and it took me a couple times just finding the Massachusetts. lol
Im just a complete nubbie to how to fish out there when and where? I don't know trolling lures. I have lived down in St. Pete and fished the gulf there with no problems but here just seems to be a lot different. its like I am starting all over. any advise and help would be appreciated.

I have a cheap Matrix 12 Hummingbird that I have learned to put numbers into to help fine what I have downloaded from sites but I believe the hurricanes have covered a lot of the older reefs because I found no bottom structure upon getting to some. make any sense?
snookman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
AAR
Snapper

Default Man, I'm kind of in the same boat.

I'm new to driving my own boat. I know, from having gone out with friends for years, that a lot of it has to do with staying right on top of a spot when you do get there. I guess you printed out the coordinates from the Escambia County site.

I'd say, don't crowd people but if you have coordinates, go try them out. You ain't going to catch something every time you go out but that is what makes it so much fun when you do catch them.

Another thing, it may be worth going out with some of these charter guys that know exactly what they're doing. That is basically what I'm doing - learning from my buddies that have been doing it forever.

Good luck!
AAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Grouper

I thought maybe I could get some help on some spots and idea where to find them. I did use the numbers but didn't come across and type of structure that I could see. I don't have the cash to do any type of local charter and I can only get out there when I have some cash saved up for gas, so my time is very limited and I try to waste as little gas looking as possible. It took me some time just to find the Massachusetts. I was way off from where I thought it was when I went with a friend a while back. he has since sold his boat but I am trying to get a day and take him out with me but I don't know how many places he knows since we only went to that and the Russian freighter. I only have a 44 Gallon tank with a 150 HP so I am limited to distance as well. I just want us to have some fun and give them a chance to fish offshore. they both have never done it. no real biggie, just thought I would ask. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Sailfish

You should be able to get out to the Liberty Ship and the Tex Edwards. They are both pretty close to shore (few miles off the beach?), almost due south of the beach ball water tower at Pcola Bch.
Because they are close to shore, they get fished hard. But every now and then, you'll get lucky and get something that can go in the box.

Edit to add this: both of those structures should show up well on even the cheapest of bottom machines. If you can't see these structures on your screen, you'll be better off in the bay until you can get a new bottom machine.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Grouper

Thanks, Thats a start. I looked up the Liberty and it says it 30 miles off shore. does that sound correct? because the USS Oriskany has two different Lon/Lat not by very much and one says its 22 miles out so that is confusing me.the Tex Edwards doesn't say how far it is. I was as far out as 82 ft of water looking around even around the coordinates I put in and didnt see any structure. I am running a Hummingbird Matrix 12 with gps. from what I read, they are cheaper but have a good record for bottom structure. I am having it replaced due to depth was reading incorrect so they are upgrading me to a 718 model with comes with dual beam technology. I am thinking that its more me than the machine to the reason why I haven't found any structure at this point and the fact that I know very little of the gulf out by Navy Point. If weather allows, my wife and I are going to go out in the morning to try once again to find such places to fish. I appreciate any help that been given so far. I just don't like to run out there and crowd on somebody while they are fishing a spot. I consider myself to being a respectful fisherman and toward others but I cant say others are. lol. I also question how much the last couple of hurricanes have covered up? I looked at a map and with as many spots showing some type of structure, I cant see how I would miss them. lol
Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Sailfish

See this list...
http://www.co.escambia.fl.us/Bureaus...t31Jan2011.pdf
The two reefs I mentioned are 87 and 88 on this list.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Grouper

Thats the same list I downloaded and went by. I believe that I set the L/L for the concrete rubble but never saw anything. then I just started to drift to see if amybe I would get lucky but that didn't happen. lol havr you been out to either of those wrecks? I have you tube them and they were full of fish but mainly snapper was thick. I will give it a try tomorrow and will let you know. Thanks. thats if the water is good enough. I don't risk anything for fishing. lol
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Sailfish

I've fished both of them several times (they are real close to each other) and I dove the Tex a few times.
Like I said, these two are close to shore so they get hit pretty hard. But you never know unless you go.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

I think mbt divers went out and verified numbers to make sure the wrecks were still in the same spot, you might want to check their site and see. Where ever i saw this list it had the date dove what was there and what fish were there.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Trigger

Default concrete rubble

Concrete rubble is bad about covering up. If its pipes or flat stuff it doesn't usually last long unless it has a lot of vertical structure.
capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in