Info needed on fishing off of dauphin island AL - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Info needed on fishing off of dauphin island AL

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to all of this here. I've fished quite a few times off of dauphin island from shore, the cedar point pier and the dauphin island pier and have always caught something. Now i've just recently bought a 17' dc hydrasports and would like to take her out in a few weeks and do some fishing with her. I've never been out in mobile bay or off of dauphin island with a boat to fish, so i'm titally new at it. Could anyone maybe tell me where i could fish for what species? Unfortunately i could only go out like 10-20miles out max on really good conditions. Any good reefs within that range? Any good spots around dauphin island? Would appreciate any info immensely.
Thanks a lot,
Tight lines
-paolo
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
I pegged my fishometer
Grouper

Congratulations on the new boat. I often fished that area in my 17' boat. There is no need to be in a hurry go 20 miles out as that are has awesome inshore fishing. Fish it for a while until you are very comfortable with the boat and learns it's quirks and issues before heading even considering that far out of a trip. A great place to practice is the Sand Island lighthouse which is 2.5 to 3 miles out of the port. On a calm day - no big deal - on a windy day -watch out! I often catch sharks at the light house on live shrimp (really!) Inshore from a boat around the jetties at Fort Conde is a good red fish/trout location again live shrimp and also live croakers. Dixey Bar (It’s actual name often spelled wrong) runs from the tip of Ft. Morgan out about 3 miles. IT runs along the left side of Mobile Ship channel and the water is 6’ of less all along the bar. Drop a 3 oz weight and a size 8 or 6 treble hook with a live croaker. BE prepared for a long fight with Bull Red Drum (redfish). In Alabama the trebles are legal and you can keep one oversize red. Each of the inshore oil derricks are good but you often have to move from derrick to derrick to find where the fish are hanging. Live croakers on a slip cork deep – like 12’ work for trout. Also at the crack of dawn be at the shoals, which are three little oyster shale island in the Mississippi sound just west of the DI bridge with live shrimp 1 -2 ‘ off the bottom. For bait -you can cast net your own live shrimp in the canal just behind the airport all day long.
Johnms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Trigger

wow, thanks for the great info, i appreciate it a lot. great stuff. i`ll def make sure to check out the boat before i head out even 1 mile out there, no worries. safety comes first.
do you still fish there often? what about other species? mangrove snapper, vermillion snapper, mahi mahi, aj,.... i was out on a charter last year and we were only out about 3 or 4 miles (out of destin) due to federal waters still being closed bc of the oil spill and we caught vermillion, red, red porgy, lane,etc. are there any of those species that close to shore from DI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
I pegged my fishometer
Grouper

sorry, I'm an inshore man! I fished off Ft Conde about 2 months ago and caught 10 big trout on live shrimp and was back home in Perdido Key by 9:45 Am.
Johnms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Trigger

Ah ok, gotcha. Man, that is some good fishing. Trout really are great. I've caught quite a few white trout off of DI, fun stuff. Thanks again for the advice.
Tight lines
Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Mingo

Once you get in the gulf there will be many oil rigs within view. Go rig to rig bottom fishing with squid, cigar minnows, bonita chunks, live bait and you're gonna catch something (snapper, lane snapper, mingo's, trigger etc). Many times you can find Cobia at these rigs and you can sight fish for them which is awesome! Just have a pretty stout rod read with a 30-50 lb leader and a circle hook with a chunk of cigar minnow and when you see the cobia put the bait in front of his mouth and he will eat it (almost guaranteed). Let him take it for a bit to make sure he has it good and then reel down and let that circle hook do it's job and hang on. Great fight better eating.
smann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Trigger

niiiice, that sounds like fun. def wan a catch me a nice cobia, never have before. had fun catching some red porgies and lane snappers last year, great eating too. can`t wait to get out there and do some fishing. do you go out of dauphin island to fish? the rigs are pretty close to shore right? so no prob with my boat?!
thanks a lot for the info,
tight lines
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Mingo

Whether you are running 1 mile or 15 miles in the gulf you will need good seas to go in your boat. 1-2 foot seas will be the most I would go out in. I have a 19 ft Pathfinder and have been 10 miles out with relative ease. You have to know how to run the waves and use your throttle to your advantage. As far as rigs are concerned, They vary in distance. There are some in the bay and some within a few miles of the beach. You will be able to see several as you enter the gulf. Just pick one and go to it and start. Over time you will figure out which ones work best for you. good luck!!
smann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
Grouper

The water off Destin gets deeper closer to shore than the Alabama coast.
Check the navigation chart for relative depths and distance from shore.

Besides you're not likely to find many cobia (aka ling) around the near shore rigs in mid summer.
But mackerel are plentiful and relatively easy to catch within a few miles of the Sand Island Lighthouse.
And the Dixey Bar thing mentioned earlier is chocked full of opportunities.
Pier#r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnms View Post
sorry, I'm an inshore man! I fished off Ft Conde about 2 months ago and caught 10 big trout on live shrimp and was back home in Perdido Key by 9:45 Am.
holy smoke, ft. conde is in down town mobile and is land locked. how long was your pole?
spear em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in