gulf coast? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Mingo

Post gulf coast?

who on here has a boat and fishes the gulf coast in the Alabama and Pensacola area.not looking for charter people but the weekend warriors like my self.the reason i am asking is we have the gps numbers for some wrecks and AR reefs that we would like to fish.most are out at the 8 to 15 mile mark.we just don't want to go out that far without a buddy till we have a very good set of sea legs.not worried about the boat breaking down.just would feel better knowing someone was close if something went wrong to show or help us out of what ever.not looking for you to make a special trip. but for us to tag along when ever you are going out and we are down.it's just like a first date.really ready for it but just nervous about doing it alone.as most know we have only be doing this gulf fishing (in my own boat)for two years now.maybe have 125 to 150 hours of weekend warrior experience.mostly in the bays and 3 to 4 miles off the beach.

not looking to hook the boats together or having to fish the same spot. but have someone that i know is within a reasonable area of me if i need to know or whatever.
marcuswon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Sailfish

You can post your request in this section of the forum: Need A Crew? Need A Ride?

Good luck!
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Mingo

not looking for a crew or someone to ride with me.tried that when we first got the boat.most of the people that came out with us knew less or very little more than us.they where just looking more for a free ride/fishing trip..looking for someone that fishes the wrecks and reefs and that we can become boat buddy's with.we are not looking for someones privet honey hole or to crowed them on the wrecks and/or reefs.just someone that we could tag along with when they are going out and about.that way we can learn the how,where,when and some tricks to getting there and how to find them.i know that we have gps numbers but that they are not in the exact point.some are 100 yards that way or 50 yards that way.some are the start of wk/reef or the end or just the area where it was dumped.
just looking to make a friend and learn from them and have a safe time fishing..

Last edited by marcuswon; 04-22-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Fabricator
Grouper

First off, what are the electronics on your boat, and how high would you say is the very tip-top of your VHF antenna from the surface of the water?

Also, how about the footage of your boat; and do you have all the necessary safety equipment that the US Coast Guard requires dictated by the length of your vessel?

Lastly, here are some really great reads from the US Coast Guard that will really help with as you say your "sea legs," and help with gaining sea confidence.

USCG Boat Crew Seamanship Manual
http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/1...M_16114_5C.pdf

USCG Rescue and Survival Systems Manual
http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/1..._10470_10F.pdf

Last edited by Starlifter; 04-22-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Starlifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Mingo

what are the electronics on your boat?

798 humming bird with di/Si with GPSS. 2 years old.also have a new compass(ball that sits on the dash).and a hand GPSS locater(spot).

how high would you say is the very tip-top of your VHF antenna from the surface of the water?

the antenna is a seven footer and it is maybe 3 to 4 foot from the bottom of it to the water.(it bolts to the side w/a/c walk way. the vhf i replaced when i bought the boat.

how about the footage of your boat

21 foot walk around cuddy with 200 hp.

do you have all the necessary safety equipment that the US Coast Guard requires dictated by the length of your vessel?

i have everything up to date and in full working order.over kill on safety equment..co2 life boat with top for four people.flares(10 for gun and 6 hand held),first aid kit,water purifier,life vest and a spot(gps locater,)vhf radio, cell phone.

when i bought the boat i replaced all live well pumps(2), bilge pumps and auto on and off pump level systems(also hooked it up where i could turn them on my self from the helm)(2),fish locker pumps(2).

as you all get to know me you will find out i am ocd (friends and family say) about safety,maintenance and other stuff.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackUmStackUm View Post
You can post your request in this section of the forum: Need A Crew? Need A Ride?

Good luck!
I think he's looking to buddy boat with someone.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Mingo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
I think he's looking to buddy boat with someone.
bingo.thats what i would like to do..
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
White Marlin

If you are fishing 8-15 miles out, you most likely be in eye sight of several boats during the weekends. Buddy boating first couple times would be the ticket though.

Within that distance from the pass, your VHF should suffice for emergency communications and in earshot of Tow Boat or Sea Tow if needed. (oh, make sure you get a tow package from either prior to heading out.)

I have a 22 WA with a 225 HP and began short distance trips, now fish 30+ miles out regularly.

Pick your days (1-2's) to begin with and you will soon find yourself looking at 3's and greater plus another 15 miles out to be no problem.

Good luck and be safe!

Jimmy
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Mingo

well anyone change their minds we will be down for the memorial day weekend and the whole week of July 4....
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Grand Slam

just so I understand, you want to follow someone around to their GPS numbers (buddy boat) they are in their boat and you are in your boat.... and see what they are doing to catch their fish. You observe, mark the gps numbers, then return on your own after you catch on, right?
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in