Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

GPS Number Lists

180K views 256 replies 93 participants last post by  NautiCat 
#1 ·
These are "buyer beware" numbers. Newer versions of these GPS waypoint lists have been published farther down in this thread

I've deleted posts that contain the earlier versions of the files that I've posted newer ones one..

Enjoy

#6 ·
Redlegs, hope I'm not the bearer of bad news, but if converting those numbers into a google earth database is your intention you might have been beat to the punch. Check out this website if you're not familiar: EARTHNC.COM It's a really neat deal and you can also overlay nautical charts, reefs, debris, etc. You can also convert these numbers and download them to your gps through their program. Pretty cool. If that's what you were up to hopefully it'll save you some time. Otherwise, please disregard and I'll go back to lurking. :)

#8 ·
Checked some of my old numbers with these and they are right on the button.Wonder where all of these came from as I know there are some that were private as I had quite a few of them and even the names were the same. My whole book was in TD's and was useless looks like I've got a new book now. Sure could have used these two weeks ago could have saved me a few hundred dollars in fuel costs . As always a day late.

#9 ·
war eagle (6/28/2009)Redlegs, hope I'm not the bearer of bad news, but if converting those numbers into a google earth database is your intention you might have been beat to the punch. Check out this website if you're not familiar: EARTHNC.COM It's a really neat deal and you can also overlay nautical charts, reefs, debris, etc. You can also convert these numbers and download them to your gps through their program. Pretty cool. If that's what you were up to hopefully it'll save you some time. Otherwise, please disregard and I'll go back to lurking. :)
War Eagle, I've been converting them for a while for my own use. Got the idea several years ago when I saw what Destin Sharks did with google earth. After that, I went around collecting various public sources for info and converting them. Is not bursting my bubble, since I've had a process to convert them fairly easily for a number of years. I keep numbers for Maine all the way thru Texas as well as the Shipwreck database.

My only intention here is sharing them with the other members of the forum (at least the public sites), in a few common formats, and pertaining to the area. That way everyone gets a chance at having a few public numbers without any cost.

I've already invested (personally) in a GPS conversion utility that converts to/from just about anything/any format, so I could write the files to my C80.

Ok, I'm rambling since the caffeine has kicked in. Summary: not bursting my bubble; just sharing what I have with all who want or don't want. Figure it's good for those that don't have the public numbers loaded, or need a start.

/r Steve

#207 ·
Thanks

:)
War Eagle, I've been converting them for a while for my own use. Got the idea several years ago when I saw what Destin Sharks did with google earth. After that, I went around collecting various public sources for info and converting them. Is not bursting my bubble, since I've had a process to convert them fairly easily for a number of years. I keep numbers for Maine all the way thru Texas as well as the Shipwreck database.

My only intention here is sharing them with the other members of the forum (at least the public sites), in a few common formats, and pertaining to the area. That way everyone gets a chance at having a few public numbers without any cost.

I've already invested (personally) in a GPS conversion utility that converts to/from just about anything/any format, so I could write the files to my C80.

Ok, I'm rambling since the caffeine has kicked in. Summary: not bursting my bubble; just sharing what I have with all who want or don't want. Figure it's good for those that don't have the public numbers loaded, or need a start.

/r Steve
Thank you for your efforts. Much needed starter.

#10 ·
curtpcol (6/29/2009)Checked some of my old numbers with these and they are right on the button.Wonder where all of these came from as I know there are some that were private as I had quite a few of them and even the names were the same. My whole book was in TD's and was useless looks like I've got a new book now. Sure could have used these two weeks ago could have saved me a few hundred dollars in fuel costs . As always a day late.
Not sure if you are referring to the MBT numbers or not, but they are public. MBT has a web page that allows anyone to add numbers to it and then the entire list is viewable on the web site. Some of them may have started out as "private" but once a diver or fisherman posted the numbers into MBT's list: it's not private any more (IMHO).

The other list (and the ones I'll be posting soon), all come from public "viewable" on the web lists (county and state publications). All I've done is convert them from PDF (or whatever format) into google earth datafiles and/or CSV (Excel files).

/r Steve

#14 ·
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>Attached files are pubic reefs and wrecks converted to excel spreadsheets and google earth data files. No secret spots, just the facts.

This set of numbers brought to you by"Ole Miss"(their published reef list):

Save each of the files and remove the .doc off the end.

CSV files will open in Microsoft Excel

KML files will open in/google earth

To save to your pc, right mouse click the file, choose "save target as", rename removing the ".doc"

Enjoy

Attachments

#16 ·
OK last one. I don't see any need to post the east coast or any more of the gulf

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>Attached files are pubic reefs and wrecks converted to excel spreadsheets and google earth data files. No secret spots, just the facts.

These are the publiushed numbers from the State of Florida Artificial Reef List Dec 2008:

Save each of the files and remove the .doc off the end.

CSV files will open in Microsoft Excel

KML files will open in/google earth

To save to your pc, right mouse click the file, choose "save target as", rename removing the ".doc"

Enjoy

Attachments

#19 ·
Sure there is. Find a PC utility that will convert google earth files or csv to a garmin format. Something like easygps or gpsutil. It's how I converted the PDF lists to the formats I posted.

Mapsource will read in .gpx, .gbd, .loc, or .mps

Probably best to try and convert to gpx which is a good standard gps exchange format

#20 ·
Just a note on the MBT numbers most were LORAN and auto converted to GPS and so not even close. The bigger wrecks are good to go but auto and planes and lots of bottom not so much. Good to look on a GPS but nothing showing up on the depth finder or through the mask but sand when you go look.

My $.02

Stressless

#21 ·
Stressless (7/2/2009)Just a note on the MBT numbers most were LORAN and auto converted to GPS and so not even close. The bigger wreaks are go to go but auto and planes and lots of bottom not so much. Good to look on a GPS but nothing showing up on the depth finder or through the mask but sand when you go look.

My $.02
Stressless
I agree. All I did was convert to a usable format without altering any of their numbers. Did the same for the state and county pubs. I do like to load them in and check them out when in the area of something else or on a "looking around" trip. Not all of them are loran conversions, have found a few here and there.

#22 ·
redlegs (7/2/2009)Sure there is. Find a PC utility that will convert google earth files or csv to a garmin format. Something like easygps or gpsutil. It's how I converted the PDF lists to the formats I posted.

Mapsource will read in .gpx, .gbd, .loc, or .mps

Probably best to try and convert to gpx which is a good standard gps exchange format

I don't think I can do that ! I'm too computer dumb

If anyone converts them to garmin mapsource files.........

I sure would like to get a copy of the file !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.