Garmin HELP!!!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 03-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Garmin HELP!!!!!

ok, this new chomp 70DV is fantastic. BUT...how the heck do I get my numbers from Homeport into the machine? Been quite a journey so far. I had my numbers on my GPSMAP 478 and my wife computer...a windows machine. I uploaded all the numbers to my 478, then downloaded Homeport for my Mac. dang...then I had to upgrade the OS for the mac. Done. Homeport installed....done. Connected the 478 to the Mac and now I have the numbers in Homeport on my mac.....Now I have no idea how to get the numbers into the 70DV. I'm about to turn this unit into a flying object. help please. How do I connect the 70DV to the mac?
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #2
Trigger

In Homeport:

1. Stick a memory card into your computer. It should appear in the Homeport "Devices" window.

2. Click "My Collection." Verify that all of your waypoints appear in the list on the left of the screen.

3. Right-click "My Collection." Select "Send To"

4. In the dialog box, click your Memory card. Select "OK"

5. Select "Create a new ADM file" and give it a name.

6. Click "OK." Verify that your ADM file appears on your memory card in the left "Devices" pane.

7. When you stick this card into your Garmin, it will automatically prompt you to import the waypoints stored on the card.
Attached Thumbnails
Garmin HELP!!!!!-homeport1-jpg   Garmin HELP!!!!!-homeport2-jpg   Garmin HELP!!!!!-homeport3-jpg   Garmin HELP!!!!!-homeport4-jpg  
foxtrotuniform is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Thank you. Can I also go the other direction and load the maps from my machine to my computer?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikvi

If the 70 is anything like the 740s, you will need to format the SD card in the unit before being able to use it.
Mikvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
Thank you. Can I also go the other direction and load the maps from my machine to my computer?
Yes. I don't have a garmin in front of me, but you can back up the data to the card and then load it into Homeport. Just navigate the menus to find the option.
foxtrotuniform is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikvi View Post
If the 70 is anything like the 740s, you will need to format the SD card in the unit before being able to use it.

I have a 740s that I have read manual twice to find out how to reduce waypoint name sizes that appear on plot. Haven't found it yet. I wish that there was a button or option to select that would toggle between icon and icon and name displayed. I use icon shapes and color coded to identify the wreck and if I caught fish. I also have name ie "Navy Barge." Having icon and full name takes up a lot of space. As the 740s displays now, it is clutterted. There has to be a way to toggle or select icons only displayed and not the complete name as well. 7" screen fills up quick!
tank1949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank1949 View Post
I have a 740s that I have read manual twice to find out how to reduce waypoint name sizes that appear on plot. Haven't found it yet. I wish that there was a button or option to select that would toggle between icon and icon and name displayed. I use icon shapes and color coded to identify the wreck and if I caught fish. I also have name ie "Navy Barge." Having icon and full name takes up a lot of space. As the 740s displays now, it is clutterted. There has to be a way to toggle or select icons only displayed and not the complete name as well. 7" screen fills up quick!
Someone on Hulltruth offered this solution for the 740s waypoint names issue:

Quote:
Press Information Menu>User Data>Waypoints>Display Waypoints .... you can manage any group or any type sysmbol how it's displayed on the 740.

Here's a video of how to do it on the 545. The process is the same on the 740.

http://bluewaterpirate.phanfare.com/4327860_4727220
Old 03-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrotuniform View Post
Someone on Hulltruth offered this solution for the 740s waypoint names issue:

Video author talks about new software loaded for his specific Garmin. I hope software holds true for 740s

THX!
tank1949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Thanks guys. Transferred in seconds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in