divers? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Mingo

Post divers?

what is the rules and laws on a reef.like if i was at public reef and they just came up there and anchor out and started diving?

Last edited by marcuswon; 07-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.
marcuswon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
White Marlin

Not really a law, it all about common courtesy and respect for each other. We all have to share the same reefs. If you are on a spot and divers roll over the side they know the risks of the dive.
marmidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Videographer
Sailfish

If the reef is big enough for 2-3 fishing boats, then it should not be a problem for a couple of divers to have 30 minutes on the reef before moving on. There are many more fishing vessels than diving....and they may sit on one spot for most of the day...vs the short time required by a dive vessel.
If we divers were to only dive spots without fisherman, we would have to give up the sport.....especially during ARS season
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Mingo

was not meaning law against a diver.just wanted to make sure its not like the beach. like you cant fish to close.just wanted to make sure that i would not get ticketed if i stayed on or wanted to fish where they where.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Grand Slam

There's no law that says you can't Dive OR Fish any set distance from a diver or Fisherman. It just says to proceed at a slow rate of speed when approaching a diver. And likewise for a Fisherman. Those spots were put down for everyone to use however they see fit to use them. And remember some of those dive trips were set up weeks in advance to go to those exact spots. Get use to mixing with divers. Just today I went to the I-10 bridge rubble and a fisherman got mad because I was going to dive it. Well I dove it and he caught more fish while I was in the water than before. And I had just run 17 miles in a 2 ft chop and I wasn't going to go some where else after that pounding I took to get to a PUBLIC spot.
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Mingo

again i meant know harm.just asking the rules/laws.sorry to offend anyone.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
There's no law that says you can't Dive OR Fish any set distance from a diver or Fisherman. It just says to proceed at a slow rate of speed when approaching a diver. And likewise for a Fisherman. Those spots were put down for everyone to use however they see fit to use them. And remember some of those dive trips were set up weeks in advance to go to those exact spots. Get use to mixing with divers. Just today I went to the I-10 bridge rubble and a fisherman got mad because I was going to dive it. Well I dove it and he caught more fish while I was in the water than before. And I had just run 17 miles in a 2 ft chop and I wasn't going to go some where else after that pounding I took to get to a PUBLIC spot.
Thanks for your rational and well spoken position statement. Your comment regarding better, not worse, fishing action is also noted and will, hopefully, begin to dispel the myth that divers 'ruin the bite'. Also, thanks for standing up and diving your site of choice. You are well respected on this forum in my view, and your stance regarding equal access to public sites is also likely to be respected. Thanks.
flappininthebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Grouper

Our bubble watcher(s) always say the bite picks up when we're in the water. If the bites not so hot when we anchor up they're practically pushing us overboard.

Don't buy into the myth!
CootCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuswon View Post
what is the rules and laws on a reef.like if i was at public reef and they just came up there and anchor out and started diving?
I dont think there is much for laws about it. You can fish there and they can dive there at the same time. It doesn't matter who was there first. The laws just say to go slow around a vessel displaying a dive flag so you don't hit the diver with your boat.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I read on the fwc site that your not supose to fish within 300ft of where divers are down. If you fishing there first they are not suppose to dive within 300ft of where you are fishing. Here's the link: http://www.myfwc.com/boating/boating-regulations/#nogo
amckeown30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in