Converted GPS numbers for MBT Divers web site 21July2011 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Converted GPS numbers for MBT Divers web site 21July2011

Back in 2009 when I first posted the following; there were a slew of follow-up questions that caused me to remove the original data files. So, I’m trying it again.
Buyer beware (in a fashion)
The following is every GPS waypoint posted on the MBT divers’ site (http://www.mbtdivers.com/GPS%20Numbers.htm). I’ve not changed any of the GPS coordinates listed there; I’ve simply copied their published numbers into a data file and then converted to various formats for use with Google Earth, Mapsource, MS Excel, and text programs. You are welcome to compare what they have against what’s in these data files. Yes, I know some are obviously wrong (showing up inland, etc); decided to leave those in simply for integrity with what is on the website.
How could this happen (waypoints in error)? If one converts LORAN to GPS, they should use a very good program with all variances included. Even then the result is nowhere near as accurate as GPS, DGPS, or WAAS. I’ve left the LORAN coordinates in the “comments” field for any that need them regardless.
They could be typos, or intentionally misleading, or even simply gone. They are offered to the PFF community as “buyers beware”.

My intention is to post a separate thread each time I share the “newly” converted GPS numbers with the PFF community (rather than including them into the thread I started in 2009). Hopefully this will help both new and old when trying locate GPS numbers or refer a new member to GPS numbers.

Download the files (or files) which are in WinZip compressed archives; unpack the file inside and open with your software. I recommend installing the latest version of Winzip (or equivilant) to avoid any unpacking data corruption.

MBT 21July2011 csv.zip is in Microsoft Excel or Open Office (CSV format)
MBT 21July2011 gdp.zip is in Mapsource 6.5 or higher (GDB format)
MBT 21July2011 gpx.zip is in General GPS exchange format (GPX format)
MBT 21July2011 kml.zip is in Google Earth format (KML uncompressed Google Earth data file)
MBT 21July2011 txt.zip is in TXT format (tab delimited text data file)
Attached Thumbnails
Converted GPS numbers for MBT Divers web site 21July2011-mbt-21july2011-jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip MBT 21July2011 csv.zip (17.6 KB, 845 views)
File Type: zip MBT 21July2011 gdp.zip (22.5 KB, 409 views)
File Type: zip MBT 21July2011 gpx.zip (24.4 KB, 556 views)
File Type: zip MBT 21July2011 kml.zip (21.8 KB, 675 views)
File Type: zip MBT 21July2011 txt.zip (20.4 KB, 560 views)
redlegs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
The Yakslayer
Snapper

You do many on this board a great service. Thanks! Now if only my Eagle Cuda 350 gps/ff could interface with my computer. I entered the entire Urchin and Fish Haven reef systems off of Destin the other day (89 reefs) and it took me 3.5 hours using scroll buttons for every character. I think an upgrade is on the list for next year.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJeep View Post
You do many on this board a great service. Thanks! Now if only my Eagle Cuda 350 gps/ff could interface with my computer. I entered the entire Urchin and Fish Haven reef systems off of Destin the other day (89 reefs) and it took me 3.5 hours using scroll buttons for every character. I think an upgrade is on the list for next year.
Thanks for the kind words.
I'm pretty sure it can exchange data using a NMEA interface via a serial like cable (probably in back of manual). However, it may be quite cumbersome to use (but faster if you can get it to work reliably).

/r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Sailfish

Thanx - great contribution
grouper1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

VERY COOL!!!

Thanks,

Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Sailfish

Nice Job!

We still get a lot of calls at the shop asking about the accuracy of the numbers, and all I can say is some are good, some are not. The folks that find good ones usually aren't in a hurry to give me positive feedback and blow a "new" spot.

When I was much more active on the water, we used a lot of these numbers and they were very good. Never got the chance to check them all.

Thanks to those that have taken the list and improved the presentation and made them easier to use.

Jim
MBT Divers
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evensplit View Post
Nice Job!

We still get a lot of calls at the shop asking about the accuracy of the numbers, and all I can say is some are good, some are not. The folks that find good ones usually aren't in a hurry to give me positive feedback and blow a "new" spot.

When I was much more active on the water, we used a lot of these numbers and they were very good. Never got the chance to check them all.

Thanks to those that have taken the list and improved the presentation and made them easier to use.

Jim
MBT Divers
Jim,
Good word "presentation". Very accurate use as well. Feel free to pass others onto the files: sharing is the intent. Also have posted "presentations" of the Escambia ARL, State of Florida AFL, Alabama Public and Ole' Miss public as well (other posts).
/r
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Sailfish

What program do you recommend to covert loran to GPS? I have 5 spots I want to convert so I don't really want to buy a program.
tyler0421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
White Marlin

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

When I download the file it says that there is nothing in there to extract from the .zip folder. I am sure this is operator error but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Edit: I am using free Wifi from Mcdonalds and I think it may be not letting me pull files because I seem to be having problems with all downloads now.

Last edited by hsiF deR; 08-31-2011 at 10:02 AM.
hsiF deR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiF deR View Post
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

When I download the file it says that there is nothing in there to extract from the .zip folder. I am sure this is operator error but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Edit: I am using free Wifi from Mcdonalds and I think it may be not letting me pull files because I seem to be having problems with all downloads now.
One of the hings to do is make sure you have the later versions of Winzip or whatever archive program you prefer (winrar, power archiver, 7zip, etc).

Club Mac does filter content, so it could be them..
/r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in