Any interest in recycled fishing weights and jigs? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Any interest in recycled fishing weights and jigs?

This is a question for our fishing members.

My wife and I frequently dive on wrecks in the Pensacola area. We often find a large number of lead fishing weights and large jigs on the wrecks. Most could be recycled and used again as-is or with a little clean up. We are both into recycling stuff whenever possible.

I hate to see piles of lead accumulating on the wrecks and local fishermen incurring the expense of buying replacement weights and jigs at retail prices.

Do you think there is a market for used lead weights and jigs?

If so...
What would be the best way to offer them to fisherman, an on-line store?

What do you think would be a fair price for recycled weights and jigs, 50% of retail price?

We are not looking to make a bunch of money on this project. It would be nice to cover the costs of recovering the lead. However, we are primarily interested in providing a means for it to be recycled, and promoting good-will between the diving and fishing communities.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Grouper

I have the ability to turn lead (dive weights) into sinkers if you need sinkers. The jigs are usually a pain, the paint stinks when melting, and the hooks are usually rusted and nasty. You will have the best luck with the belt weights. There are people on CL that sell lead, just don't take it to a recylce center you'll get nest to nothing for it.

Tod

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
little ol me !
Snapper

not sure about the $$$ side of your equation, but my thoughts would be that if you are already down there, drag up as much as you can. There always seems to be people looking for used lead that they can melt down and make into something, wether it be new weights, or lures / jigs what ever.

@ 50% of market value for used lead, I would be willing to bet you wouldn't have a hard time getting ride of what ever you brought back. Maybe do 50% for PFF'ers and 75% for others ?
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

What size and kind of sinkers do you offer?
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
We have not brought many sinkers up yet. Most of the weights that we find are egg-shaped and are about 1-2" long. I'm not sure how many ounces that would be. Occasionally Iíll find weights formed with an eye at the top and rarer still, down-rigger weights.

We also find many anchors, as I'm sure you do. Some appear to be new, while others have some miles on them.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Lobsterman If you were refering to me here a link to my post in the for sale forum, I don't want to hijack the OP post.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...s-sorta-85422/

Tod

Grady-White 257 / Twin F150's
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Sailfish

The Egg Sinkers would have to be melted and remolded. If they build up any corrosion in the hole they will chafe the line and be back at the bottom in no time and ready to be brought back up by a diver again. The bank sinkers (the ones with the eye at the top) may be able to be reused. Jigs will depend on condition. I have seen some ugly jigs catch fish.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
White Marlin

I would think it would depend heavily on the kind of quantities you're talking about bringing up and how far you are off the "beaten path" (assuming you would want people coming by your house/office). I would drive out of my way for a half-price anchor or a couple of downrigger weights but not for a handful of egg sinkers. If you are getting a large quantity of the egg and bank sinkers I would talk to some of the local bait shops about some type of consignment arrangement maybe.

Or do like Sealark and sell them here on the forum as you accumulate them. I would drive out of my way for a "bucket full" of 8-16oz egg sinkers if the price was right.
Play'N Hooky Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky View Post
I would think it would depend heavily on the kind of quantities you're talking about bringing up and how far you are off the "beaten path" (assuming you would want people coming by your house/office). I would drive out of my way for a half-price anchor or a couple of downrigger weights but not for a handful of egg sinkers. If you are getting a large quantity of the egg and bank sinkers I would talk to some of the local bait shops about some type of consignment arrangement maybe.

Or do like Sealark and sell them here on the forum as you accumulate them. I would drive out of my way for a "bucket full" of 8-16oz egg sinkers if the price was right.
I agree- selling here on the forum would or should work
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
old fart
Trigger

i should have saved my lead from when i raced, had about 200 lbs.
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in