Preparations for hurricane season. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Esteemed Member
Trigger

Default Preparations for hurricane season.

I have been putting together a bugout kit/ hurricane kit and would like a little advice on what some of you may have in yours that I don't already have. I started with food, and have a couple cases of MRE's, some dehydrated meals, and plenty of canned food and dry rice/beans. I have of course batteries, flashlights, light sticks, a crank radio, emergency blankets, various pans and utensils, and water purifiers ( just brita filters with jug). I have more that I am sure I am forgetting, I can't remember all of it off hand. Also, I am currently putting together a trauma kit, and have been looking for blood clotters, and the israeli style bandages that have the wrap attached. I am by no means qualified at all to administer first aid to anyone, so I have also been looking for a easy to use field manual on first aid. Some of these items are hard to find if not impossible to find in P-cola. So if any of you have some info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Cola Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Generator, 100 gallons of gas, refrigerator and 20 cases of beer is all I need!

With that everything else can be had!!

However, this ain't a good subject!!!!
BananaTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Grouper

Drinking water, candles, fuel for camp stove, grill, generator with plenty of fuel, extension cords to run from generator to fridge/freezer, games, puzzles, books to keep the boredom at bay, also, consider some tools for minor repair during the storm (we had a door blow through in our garage, took a couple of nails and a 2 x 4 and nailed it shut).

I agree with Tom, though, this is not a good subject. Any not to be Molly sunshine, it's about time for it to be our turn again.........we've been very lucky these past few years.
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Esteemed Member
Trigger

As I agree that this may not be the best subject, I still remember the lines for food and water from that last hurricane that hit us. Most of my time was spent standing in lines procuring items that I already have stocked up. I would rather get it now while there is not a high demand for the items. I may have to do without the generator, because I don't have one, and really don't have the money to invest in one right now, unless i find one for around $100 somewhere. Plus, most all of the items I have can be packed up and taken with, if I decide to leave town. I would rather invest my money in a few solar panels, a couple deep cycle batteries to hold a charge, and a power inverter. I also have a makeshift solar stove that works well, though it is just a solar shade from a car. I am really looking for the poor-mans way to do this.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola Boy View Post
I have been putting together a bugout kit/ hurricane kit and would like a little advice on what some of you may have in yours that I don't already have. I started with food, and have a couple cases of MRE's, some dehydrated meals, and plenty of canned food and dry rice/beans. I have of course batteries, flashlights, light sticks, a crank radio, emergency blankets, various pans and utensils, and water purifiers ( just brita filters with jug). I have more that I am sure I am forgetting, I can't remember all of it off hand. Also, I am currently putting together a trauma kit, and have been looking for blood clotters, and the israeli style bandages that have the wrap attached. I am by no means qualified at all to administer first aid to anyone, so I have also been looking for a easy to use field manual on first aid. Some of these items are hard to find if not impossible to find in P-cola. So if any of you have some info, it would be greatly appreciated.
pretty much any thing you would need for camping minus tent would pretty much be the same thing you need for a hurricane kit . 550 cord would all so be in my kit duck tape also it has many purpose's also super glue for deep cuts that need stitches it works great yes its redneck how ever when you cant get to a er redneck or not it works . I know this may sound stupid or not but i would also add to this kit for the car/truck what ever you have snatch strap gloves block and tackles you never no if you may get stuck or some one else with all the rain that is dumped with these storms also can be used to move trees or big limbs ect. out the way of road or what ever . a small axe like a Gerber and a folding saw . I keep these items in my 24/7 365 days a year . many times i have needed them during hurricanes . As far as food goes mre's end of discussion wife kids may hate them how ever when they get hungry enough they will eat them . For fuel every one knows they wait until the last min to get all the fuel they can and thats a long wait i generally fuel up both my hunting truck and my daily driver and old lady car generally once the storm starts into the gulf that way i know i have enough fuel and dont have to wait in line if i see the storm going to hit our area then i will get fuel cans filled . plus hunting truck has 20 gallons wife car has 25 gallons and if were going to leave we take my truck

Last edited by xtopdawg386x; 03-28-2011 at 09:06 PM.
xtopdawg386x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Grouper

When making a kit, the one thing to remember is "The first 72 are on you". This means food, water,shelter, medications and anything else you and your family may need. Don't expect anything from local, state or federal government during that time maybe longer. Be sure to take into consideration each family member individually. If you have a baby or toddler you'll need whatever food, diapers and supplies specific to them. Same goes for elderly or other special needs populations. These are the things people tend to forget. Have a first aid kit on hand, help may not be on the way. Prescription meds and otc meds. If there is someone who needs special medical care such as O2 or dialysis be sure to get them registered with the Health Department BEFORE a disaster, you can't just drop them off at a shelter. I could go on but go to this link and read the pamphlet: http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/

Chris
Community Emergency Response Team Instructor
GENTLE WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
Trigger

Hurricane Check List. Good info here...

http://www.integritytech.com/Hurricane_Ready_List.htm

Remember, most shelters will not allow pets, so don't forget items needed for you pets also.

Last edited by Patoz; 03-28-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Patoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Grouper

Well, hate to bring this one up, but include a firearm. You don't know how brave a looter may be. Saw this interview with a resident after Andrew in So. Fla, he was staying at his damaged house. He was asked about looting, he said in other areas there were, but he said on his street there was not any. "Why not"? he was asked, He said, "here is your answer" he turned around & had a large pistol in a holster.
pappastratos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

I agree with Xtopdawg on camping plans and Gentle Wolf on meds and being self efficient. I would add to place jugs of water in your freezer. It will keep the freezing compartment cool for several days if you don't open it or you can use for drinking water. If anyone in your family takes meds have plenty on hand and in a safe place. Or, you might decide to leave. Around 3 am during Hurricane Ivan I was beginning to wonder if I had made a terrible mistake for my family.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
Esteemed Member
Trigger

Yea TD has some really good ideas, I'm with Wolf, I am preparing to be on my own for at least 2 weeks, even longer, I have a backpack that I keep with me always, it has a mini maglite, a GI Tritium compass, a flint striker, some can openers, an emergency blanket, a 5'' fixed blade RAT survival knife, a painters mask, 2 shemaghs, and my .45 with some mags. My vehicle keeps an axe, hatchet, machete, tool box, coveralls, boots, and a ghili suit (don't ask). I have individual specific items stocked and I try to keep at least 10 gallons of filtered water on hand also. What I'm lacking is a packed first aid/trauma kit, some 2 way radios, and some kind of power source. I have been stocking ammo, just because I heard it was the currency of the new millennium, and got a few tactical items incase we loose all semblance of law. A good exit strategy is also important. Im nowhere close to feeling totally secure, but I have tons more than most people I know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in