named storms - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default named storms

When did the notion for the NWS to start naming every major thunderstorm begin? I dont recall this happening 10 years ago. Is this a result of the increased media coverage (i.e. The Weather Channel, etc) or just a way for them to get more funding?
Lyin Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Factors remain the same as before.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

That is new to me to. How about the barometeric pressure, every see it this low for this long without a major storm near.
jrs1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
Trigger

Default Long ago

Try 1955. It may have been before that, but I know for sure they were named for women in 1955, and for a few years before that, they were named for the then phoenetic alphabet - able, baker, charlie, etc.. The person that invented the Weather Channel may not have even been born when the naming convention started.

If you want to know more, I suggest that Google is your friend for stuff like this.
whyworry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Sailfish

Not tropical depressions, just thunderstorms. They've named 3 this year so far. 2 of them petered out a day or 2 after they were named. They did this last year also. NWS predicts an overactive hurricane season and then to save face, names every thunderstorm that lasts more than 12 hours. I guess they can lobby congress for more money if there's more named storms?
Lyin Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Trigger

They (National Hurricane Center) do not name thunderstorms. At some point in its life, a disturbance becomes a tropical storm (between designation as a tropical depression and becoming a hurricane) and at that point it is named in accordance with established procedure. You can thank the media for continuing the name after the disturbance is downgraded below tropical storm category. Each of the named storms this year has met the criteria (sustained 39 MPH) at some point in its development and has been properly named.
whyworry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

It does seem like they name every darn weather mishap that hits the U.S.. Seems to me that its just giving our children more useless info to have to learn in school. lol I often wonder if we will ever hit a point that the names for everyting start getting confused. since we reuse names so often . anyways hopefully the weather stays ok
john774077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

I hope science teachers are not making them learn names of storms. More important to learn would be what causes them and how to track one. Hurricane Camille, Andrew, Ivan, Katrina should be remembered. I agree with you John this would be like playing an extreme version of trivial pursuit.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyworry View Post
Try 1955. It may have been before that, but I know for sure they were named for women in 1955, and for a few years before that, they were named for the then phoenetic alphabet - able, baker, charlie, etc.. The person that invented the Weather Channel may not have even been born when the naming convention started.

If you want to know more, I suggest that Google is your friend for stuff like this.
If you're going to be a smartass, I suggest you be sure you're aware of the topic.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Damn, don't ya hate it when that happens.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in