Hurricane Haul-out by trailer? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Like Tree5Likes

Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Hurricane Haul-out by trailer?

In a couple months, I'll have a Sabalo 32 and I'm trying to get ready for getting out of the way of a hurricane. The boat is 32ft long plus bracket and outboards, 10.5ft wide, and roughly 10k lbs. I should be able to get the upper helm station low enough to make it legally trailerable. The boat will live in the water in West Pensacola.

I was going to buy a used trailer, but I'm beginning to think I'd be better off hiring a professional. My truck is a bit too small and I don't really want to maintain and store a trailer for that singular purpose. Is there anyone around here that is a commercial hauler with their own trailer that I could put myself on a list for hauling out? I could anchor it down on jackstands next to my house, but I'd rather get it hauled a bit further from the coast (I'm barely a mile away).

The rates I've seen around here to be on a hurricane list for a travel-lift are pretty insane. My insurance won't pay to be on an annual retainer, but does pay for a haul ahead of a hurricane.

What's my best option for being assured that I can get my boat hauled ahead of a storm? How much do the professional (insured) guys charge for moving such a boat for a storm then re-launching?

Thanks
Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
White Marlin

Can't help much on the haul out but I do no alot of shipyards do it and secure the boat down. But I would love to see some pictures of that sweet boat haha
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Grand Slam

When I kept a boat that large, I paid $1000 a year to get on the list, and about $450 for every haul out. One year, two haul outs. So about $2000 that year.

Then Pelican Perch started a program for $650 to get on the list, and if a "H" did not come, you could use that money towards a Winter haul out for bottom jobs.

I have not heard of the service your are talking about.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
When I kept a boat that large, I paid $1000 a year to get on the list, and about $450 for every haul out. One year, two haul outs. So about $2000 that year.

Then Pelican Perch started a program for $650 to get on the list, and if a "H" did not come, you could use that money towards a Winter haul out for bottom jobs.

I have not heard of the service your are talking about.
I could handle $650 a year that converted to winter haulout for bottom paint, but most places I have seen so far are over a grand and it still just puts your boat a bit further from danger.
Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious View Post
I could handle $650 a year that converted to winter haulout for bottom paint, but most places I have seen so far are over a grand and it still just puts your boat a bit further from danger.
That was at Pelican Perch Marina, Bayou Chico
Old 03-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Grand Slam

I've never had to deal with having a big boat with a hurricane approaching but I do know it's a madhouse when a hurricane is on the way.
Your best bet might be to buy a good trailer and maybe find somebody around here that has a 1 ton (or whatever it would take) truck, and keep him on retainer to move it inland if need be. Maybe even find a farmer with a big building up towards Jay that would take it in. Do all this now so you have a plan.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
Grand Slam

When I had my 40 ft boat we would run up Escambia river and moore side by side at UWFs canal. During hurricanes they would unchain the area for this purpose. It was between two high hills and had a path up to there parking lot. A couple boats would bring small prams to get back and forth to boats. A few had people on board all the time. And this is an example of rec and commercial getting along in a time of need. This was 15 to 20 years ago hope its still available Someone call and post results. Those commercial boats have some great dinners at night on board.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
White Marlin

Does the states bypass the wide load permits in an emergency like that? Just curious how they handle that. I read that anything over 8 1/2 ft. needed a wide load permit to move. I could be wrong though.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Maybe check these guys out:
Been on this forum since 2008. Review their previous posts, etc.
Do your own research as I have no connection nor do I have any experience with them.
https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...nsport-674418/

Get legal or get out.

Heavily fine or put in jail the ones hiring illegals.
Soon there would be way less illegals.

How do you know when Trump is doing something right????

When the D.C. status quo elite stuck in the mud out-of-touch pansies are crying foul at everything Trump is doing.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc1993 View Post
Does the states bypass the wide load permits in an emergency like that? Just curious how they handle that. I read that anything over 8 1/2 ft. needed a wide load permit to move. I could be wrong though.
Most guys just put them on the hill at the ship yard. No to many trailer out when you start getting that size.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in