help and idas on shutters and panels - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Grouper

Default help and idas on shutters and panels

Guys, I have a new construction and need suggestions for hurricane shutters. What method I use needs to be insurance accepted, looking for lowest cost, and my wife wants mounting method to be least visable. I know impact windows are a option, but we also will have french doors amd a wooden front door/side windows. all this within a budget! Any ideas ?
pappastratos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
NRA Lifetime Member
Snapper

I found those Aluminium Miami Dade County approved panels at Home Depot in Pace on Clearance for like $7 a panel which was a steal because they were normally $60 a panel.

Then I got pressure treated 2x4's and painted them to match the vinyl siding on the house. Lined them up and lag bolted them to the home.

You can buy those Hurricane Fasteners that come with the wing nuts to hang and mount the panels over the windows.

As you notice in the picture I have two 100 lb propane tanks and several 20lb and I converted all three Generators to run from Propane. They still can run from Gas too.

The Aluminium Panels are standing next to the Propane Bottles.

kendive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappastratos View Post
Guys, I have a new construction and need suggestions for hurricane shutters. What method I use needs to be insurance accepted, looking for lowest cost, and my wife wants mounting method to be least visable. I know impact windows are a option, but we also will have french doors amd a wooden front door/side windows. all this within a budget! Any ideas ?

I have those same aluminum panels for my commercial building. You are more than welcome to take a look at my building to see how they set my sytem up. Might give you some ideas for your place or tell you what NOT to do.... PM me if interested.... Tom
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
NRA Lifetime Member
Snapper

If you need more info or help. I can post some pics of how I made the mounting for the panels.

What's funny ever since we did all this. The window panels and the conversion to propane on the generators the Hurricanes stop coming...

But hey I would rather not have them and just be prepared. LOL

Last edited by kendive; 05-24-2012 at 05:38 PM.
kendive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Snapper

Default Another choice

They also sell the panels that are galvanized steel made for the widths of your windows. Those are way less than aluminum. Just use leather work gloves when hanging them. I mounted the panels sideways and have SS fasteners drilled through the brick to hang them on and they are wing nutted to secure. You are provided plastic tips for the screws around traffic areas to prevent injuries(reduce). I sprayed mine with some paint to match, and they aren't noticeable until you are few feet from them. My buddy owns a manufacturing plant here in town and builds the shutters (bahama style) and also either aluminum/metal/lexan panels as well. He has DIY kits and will share knowledge on installation.

Those $7 panels were a steal! Wish I had found some of those. Personally, I would like to have mine built in behind the facade with electric roll down/up capability (lazy), but that is for when I win the lottery!

I will look for his name if you want and get you his #. Just PM me or send me an e-mail.
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Home improvement is quite expensive my friend and I feel the same way you are feeling at the moment. There are types of shutters which are cost effective but remains very effective. Yesterday, I had a search on the internet and I found this amazing site: http://www.decorativeshutters.com/ which thought me a lot of idea on how to find perfect shutters for my house. Hope that it can help you too.

Last edited by DanicaMills; 05-31-2012 at 05:11 AM.
DanicaMills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Trigger

PM me if you want galvanized panels. I can even install if needed. The least intrusive way is to just put stud cons into the framing. You'll have an inch of the stud protruding with a white cap that covers it. No track to deal with and look like crap. I can do it cheaper than anyone in the area and I'm licensed and insured.
xxxxxxkidsoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Grand Slam

For looks, i would use wayne dalton fabric sheilds with female panel mates. You can get a little plastic plug the size of the dime to stick in the hole where the sidewalk bolt goes. The plastic plug can be paintedto match structure or left the off white plastic. They roll up for easy storage. They are designed to keep 90% of the wind and water oit of your home and ins. Approved. For best protection, panels are my recomendation. Use a panelmate stud with a plastic cap , or more like a rubber cap can get em in white and bronze and almond. Make sure you get a wind mitigation form for your inspector and contractor to fill out for yoir ins. To give you the diacount.

Sorry for the spelling, my fat thumbs over ride my little phone screen
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in