Generators - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Generators

What size generators do you have and do you have a hook up for it through your breaker box?.....I have a set-up the requires me to flip off my main breaker then unscrew thebreaker switchon a generator breaker that will let my 15000 watt generatorput power to the house....The screw is a safety deal....The 15000 watt generator is enough to put power to all plugs but you sure cant run the central A/C....Now that the price of gas is up I'm thinking about trading it off for 2 or 3 smaller ones...It can use 16 gallons in 10 hrs on a half load.
saltfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Default RE: Generators

What you need is for me to come out and install you a transfer switch. See this thread:

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ransfer+switch

I simply have a single 5500 watt generator. I run two refigerators, stand up freezer, 5000 BTU window ACUnit, and lights and fans as I need them. And I can use the TV andcomputeras I need it as well. Granted, everything can not be turned on at once.You just have to make sure to turn stuff off as you don't need it. But my food stays cold and my bedroom stays cold and I have lights. I can store enough fuel for a week without power with this small generator.

I would highly recomend that you do not hook a generator up to your house wiring without the use of a transfer switch. Number one, it is not safe. A transfer switch is the easiest way to hook up your generator to your house wiring. No need to hook up any wires etc... Just start your generator plug it in and throw the switch and you're cooking with juice. My time to come take a look is free.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Grand Slam

I've got a 5500 watt generator. Actually I have two because I got one at a great deal and figured I would just use it as a back-up.

I would like to get a transfer switch put in one day but it's going to have to wait a little while.

Until then, I just run 12 gauge extension cords. I usually run my fridge, an 8,000 BTU window unit, the TV and a couple of lamps. Haven't had a problem and it's pretty good on fuel.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Telum Piscis (6/25/2009)What you need is for me to come out and install you a transfer switch. See this thread:

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ransfer+switch

I simply have a single 5500 watt generator. I run two refigerators, stand up freezer, 5000 BTU window ACUnit, and lights and fans as I need them. And I can use the TV andcomputeras I need it as well. Granted, everything can not be turned on at once.You just have to make sure to turn stuff off as you don't need it. But my food stays cold and my bedroom stays cold and I have lights. I can store enough fuel for a week without power with this small generator.

I would highly recomend that you do not hook a generator up to your house wiring without the use of a transfer switch. Number one, it is not safe. A transfer switch is the easiest way to hook up your generator to your house wiring. No need to hook up any wires etc... Just start your generator plug it in and throw the switch and you're cooking with juice. My time to come take a look is free.

I'll be moving out of this area soon and I'm taking my 60 ft cable and breaker off of this breaker box...The box is on the outside by the meter....When I get to the new home it will be installed properly.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Grouper

Heres another question....Gasoline/diesel generators VS propane/natural gas......Whats the difference in the cost of running?....Would i be better off getting a natural gas standby as opposed to a large gas portable?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
White Marlin

natural gas never goes sour.
Hydro Therapy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Grouper

Good point.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Grouper

15,000 should run the house A/C or are you saying the extra fuel it takes to do that is too costly? I have a 6500 Kohler that runs my house a/c, refrigs, and a few other low draw items such as a light or radio or TV.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Grouper

I was looking for fuel consumption and cost per hour type comparisons....My 15000 watt runs 10 hrs on 16 gallons on half load.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

if you hook it up this way you will back feed onto the system.the safest way is to have a disconnect switch installed.it takes more than turning off your main breaker.
superstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in