Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Developing a Hurricane Plan

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sealark 
#1 ·
I've always had trailered boats, and hurricane preparation was easy as far as the boat was concerned. Have helped my dad several times with his 36' sailboat anchoring out in bayous etc. Pretty straightforward but he's always freaking out.

Now, I have a boat that can't be trailered and I don't really like the idea of paying for the guaranteed parking spot in a yard with a travel lifts.

1. They are close to the coast, 2. you can't change your mind if the hurricane path changes, 3. Cost. 4. At the mercy of someone else's professionalism, skill, pre-planning, and judgment.

I feel like I want to choose some hiding places on inland rivers and bayous - several in each direction that I can get to easily and quickly - choose which direction to go based on the predicted path so many hours out...

I know how stressful things can get a few days out and how unpredictable storms can be. Any advice from those with experience on choosing hiding spots and the timing on choosing which direction to go in?

Boat is kept in GB. Draft is roughly 4'.

See less See more
#3 ·
If it's too big to trailer, maybe insure you have extra insurance coverage on it. Being in gb, I'd moor it in pond creek just west of the bagdad bridge, or on Blackwater river near the trestle. You'd need someone to pick you up at bagdad oyster pile, carpenters park, or marquis basin.

#4 ·
I owned a 40 ft commercial boat. Went through 3 or 4 hurricanes here in Pensacola. All the commercial boats would go up the escambia river. UWF has an area that has hills on both sides of a canal they would un chain the access to it and allow us to go up there for the storms.
You can go to the UWF parking lot and walk down one hill and see what it is. We would have 10 to 15 big boats up there. Just tied up and nosed up on one hill. At least 1 or 2 would stay on the boats and watch the other boats. I have no idea if they still allow it so call UWF and see if it is even still accessible. It's been 25 years so who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.