Boat prep for storm - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Trigger

Question Boat prep for storm

Looks like Isaac is headed right for Perdido Key area. Our 24' cc is kept on a lift down there, I guess I need to start thinking of going down, getting it on the trailer and moving to high ground.

What do you guys who have been through this before do to get your boat ready for an impending hurricane?
Joe Sixpack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

mine stays in the water so l fuel up load with so food and watch closly to see which way to run to protective water.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Praedator
Grand Slam

I would wait till Sunday to make the call. If it comes here, it will be here around Tuesday evening and into early Wedesday. Unless you only have the weekend to come down, then I would go ahead and do something on Sunday. There are still qutie a few things VERY uncertain. The strength and the direction are still up in the air right now. Once we get into the that three day cone, then start preparing and moving stuff.

But it's always good to be prepared ahead of time for the esentials.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

I wouldn't wait until the last minute. We have done that before and pulling a large boat through traffic is a pain in the ass.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Grouper

Insurance coverage before Hurrican Season or at very minimum before a tropical systems start making their way accross Atlantic.

Trailer boats are the easiest. Get the boat on the trailer and move to higher ground. Where you put boat is also important. Do not place under trees or next to bushes....falling branches bushes scraping side of boat. parking next to a building/house may sound like a good idea, but if the shingles or siding starts to come off they can do real damage to boat, especially the gel coat and windshield. If you can put it out in the open away from vegitation and structures...that is best.

Remove canvas tops, covers, cushions, carpets, VHF antennas, outriggers, etc....anything that can flap around in high wind.

Make sure all debris is out of boat that can plug up drains ie....leaves, acorns etc. Clean out all drains. REMOVE ALL DRAIN PLUGS.

Charge batteries. Make sure bildge pump (s) and switches are fully functional. Test run them with a hose in boat for at least 5 min continousy to make sure the pump does not burn up and will automatically shut off. THis is in case drains get plugged up or ammount of rain surpasses their capability to drain boat.

Top of fuel tank...this is a good source of gasoline for your car/truck/generator when the stations are closed.

Secure boat to trailer with ratchet straps. Trailer adds another 800+ pounds of ballast wt. Will help with high winds but if a tornado hits it...all bets are off.

Cover windscreen panels with plywood on both sides or remove it completly. Most are sectional and can be stored inside cabin or fit in car pu bed for removal to storage.

Take lots of pictures of boat...for insurance before condition.

I am sure others will chime in with other tips. Good Luck

Last edited by Patriot; 08-24-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Grouper

If you can put it out in the open away from vegitation and structures...that is best.

Yes, I agree to that one. My sis-in-law has a vacant lot next to their house in their subdivision. The closest tree/structure is 100' away. May go put my truck & boat there for a day or 2. The neighborhood covenant police may get me though,,,
pappastratos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Default Isaac prep

I know its been mentioned all ready, but here it is again....DON'T PUT THE PLUG IN THE BOAT. Someone recommended that I keep the plug in my jon boat during IVAN...big mistake!!

Rich
26 year vet
23 foot hydra sport
ammo angler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
Trigger

To tie boat down, I dug 6 Hole // 3 per side on 18ft boat about 2ft deep 8-10 inch diameter filled with concrete with eye bolt running down center of concrete, then ratchet type 2 inch wide straps across boat or one could use mobile home auger type for ground point tie downs from Home depot at 14.00 each, so with tie down straps, augers about 125.oo as other said take photos with straps on for insurnace co if they balk.
TinCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Sailfish

I learned to check (really check) your tire pressure. I kicked my tires, and they seemed fine. When the boat was loaded, I learned my lesson. 2 left tires went completely flat. 2 right tires were almost flat. I bought cans of fix a flat to inflate the tires so I could pull the trailer to an air source. The 2 "completely flat tires had to be jacked off the ground before they could be aired up. I will check with an air gauge next time!
Buckyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Trigger

We keep our boat docked in Pensacola. Looking at evac routes to the west I could run somewhere up the Alabama River and to the east into Niceville or Panama City.
Is there any recommendations for marinas or areas of safe harbor in these areas?
Reelbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in