Boat Prep Steps for Hurricane PLEASE READ - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Boat Prep Steps for Hurricane PLEASE READ

I had this thread running on the Gen Discussion forum. Put it here to help as many folks out in their preps.

I stated this thread so folks can get a quick refresher on steps to take to protect their boat in the event a Hurricane comes our way. Put it on the General forum to get widespread look. Feel free to add to it if you have some great tips to pass along.

Here they are....

Insurance coverage before Hurrican Season or at very minimum before a tropical systems start making their way accross Atlantic.

Trailer boats are the easiest. Get the boat on the trailer and move to higher ground. Where you put boat is also important. Do not place under trees or next to bushes....falling branches crush and bushes scraping side of boat. Parking next to a building/house may sound like a good idea, but if the shingles or siding starts to come off they can do real damage to boat, especially the gel coat and windshield. If you can put it out in the open away from vegitation and structures...that is best.

Remove canvas tops, covers, cushions, carpets, VHF antennas, outriggers, etc....anything that can flap around in high wind.

Make sure all debris is out of boat that can plug up drains ie....leaves, acorns, lures, bottle tops, etc. Clean out all drains. REMOVE ALL DRAIN PLUGS.

Charge batteries. Make sure bildge pump (s) and switches are fully functional. Test run them with a hose in boat for at least 5 min continousy to make sure the pump does not burn up and will automatically shut off. This is in case drains get plugged up with debris from storm or amount of rain surpasses their capability to drain boat.

Top of fuel tank...this is a good source of gasoline for your car/truck/generator when the stations are closed.

Secure boat to trailer with ratchet straps. Trailer adds another 800+ pounds of ballast wt. Will help with high winds but if a tornado hits it...all bets are off.

Cover windscreen panels with plywood on both sides or remove it completly. Most are sectional and can be stored inside cabin or fit in car pu bed for removal to storage.

Take lots of pictures of boat...for insurance before condition.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to asago Send a message via Yahoo to asago

Question for those that have been through it... smaller boat on a strap lift in a canal (poly isle). Lift has a roof and I can get the boat up pretty high (above the Ivan flood line). Is it sensible just to raise it up way high and leave it in the lift? I also installed driveway anchors but taking it out of the water and strapping it down seems equally risky to me. Advice?

georgiafishingbooks.com
panhandlefishingbooks.com

asago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Grouper

IF you don't tie your boat off real well, it will sway in the lift. I have a neighbor (Santa Rosa Shores) that did this and his pillings got hammered and chewed up pretty good by lift cross beams. Boat was in good shape, but dock and pillings suffered.

Strap lift going to pinch your boat as it sways. You might see a bunch of new spider cracks on your gunnel.

Last edited by Patriot; 08-25-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Grouper

Excellent advice thanks Patriot!
Bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Redfish
Trigger

Great advice! I am still trying to figure out what I need to do with mine. I live about 100 yards from the shore on the north side of the Sound in Navarre and have my boat on mt trailer. Trying to decide if I need to take it somewhere or leave it at the house. I have to stay in town due to work so I will be at my home with my boat. Should I park it on the north side of my house or leave it in the driveway? My house faces West...
Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Grouper

All good advice...

What about a Radome?

It's mounted on my t-top. I'll probably just take it off just to be safe.
CootCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

IF it's a storm you're willing to stay at the house for.....

Sink lead anchors into driveway in front of garage door, load boat on trailer and strap it down, stick trailer in front of garage door, chain trailer to lead anchors and eye bolts.

You both protect the boat AND break up the wind headed to the door. We had an east-facing garage door and rode out Ivan this way (along with bracing the door extensively on the inside) -- it works. Zero damage. Note that this won't work if you have trees that can nail that part of the house -- we didn't and don't.

If you are not willing to ride it out in the house -- hook trailer to truck and get out of there!

Do not leave a boat on a lift. Neighbor did this against my advise, with boat cranked all the way up and strapped to the cradle.

The boat, cradle, and surrounding dock were all gone post-storm.

BTW most insurance companies require that if your boat is trailerable that it be on the trailer for a named storm. If it's not you may not get paid if it is damaged. Check your policy.

Last edited by Genesis; 08-26-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in