To Board or not to Board? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

Old 08-17-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Mingo

Default To Board or not to Board?

Moved to Gulf Breeze in Nov and was wondering, when do you board up your house windows?

No one in the area has done it yet, but I do not want " To Be Left Behind"
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: To Board or not to Board?

Just watch the locals, they know when. Usually no one does it until at least a day or two before a Cat 2 or higher. The storms are just rain makers until that point.
wirebiter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Cat 4 maybe 3.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to N-Reel-Trouble

Go ahead and get your plywood now. Don't wait til there is a storm in the gulf. Most of the people I know store them, some are even numbered for which windows they are cut to fit, same with the 2x4s used to hold the plywood against the windows in a brick house.

Like its been said, most people wait til the day before, some do it earlier than that tho. You'll see the skerrd-di-cats do it several days ahead of time(those the people that go out of town). Talk to your neighbors about it. Go ahead and get stocked up on canned goods, junk food(hey, it never goes bad!) water, batteries, and all that good stuff.
N-Reel-Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
N-Reel-Trouble (8/17/2009)Go ahead and get your plywood now. Don't wait til there is a storm in the gulf. Most of the people I know store them, some are even numbered for which windows they are cut to fit, same with the 2x4s used to hold the plywood against the windows in a brick house.

Like its been said, most people wait til the day before, some do it earlier than that tho. You'll see the skerrd-di-cats do it several days ahead of time(those the people that go out of town). Talk to your neighbors about it. Go ahead and get stocked up on canned goods, junk food(hey, it never goes bad!) water, batteries, and all that good stuff.
I boarded my windows up several years ago, I think it was Ivan or Dennis. I did it early because I bought plywood, cut them out per window, Put in double side lugs in the house (I have vinyal siding), and then hung them up using wingnuts to connect. Took a while to get it up the first time. But, I saved the plywood and keep the lugs in the side of hte house, I can now board up in 30 minutes.

I do it pretty conservatively. My thinking, even a small storm can send a something-or-another through a window and cause some water damage. I don't want to have to deal with that. Since its so easy to board up and take down, if ones comeing this way I do it. Even TS will take out old trees, send debry flying, etc.

That said, I don't do it for TS.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Splittine (8/17/2009)Cat 4 maybe 3.
hmmm ivan was a cat 3 and if we wouldnt have boarded up we woulda been in trouble.

if i were you i would def board up once it gets to a strong cat 2. normally in this part of the gulf the storms lose a lil strength before making landfall. board up atleast a day ahead of time and make sure you buy your wood about a week in advance. when that sucker comes into the gulf and the track is pointing somewhere near us, go buy the wood cause itll go quick.
ScullsMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Hurricane clips, plywood to brick bracket or CHEAP ?Plylox? clips

Do you need those ?Plylox? clips that hold plywood up against your window? But your a cheapskate like me and do not want to pay $1 each?
Is Lowes and Home Depot out of them and it is too late to mail order them?

Make your own! For those that are not mechanically challenged, you still have time.

?Plylox? are made from metal banding-strapping material. If you go to their website, their performance report tells you the material is steel strapping. This banding-strapping material is the stuff the lumber bundle is strapped together with for shipping purposes. The lumber yard cuts it and throws it away. You can find it also wherever items come shipped in bundles or on pallets.

You can find this strapping in dumpsters for free at lumber yards everywhere.
Cut the strapping into 3 to 4 inch lengths with tin snips. Drill a hole in one end big enough for a drywall screw or simular screw.
Cut your plywood a hair smaller than the brick or block opening around your window. These clips allow you to use any thickness of wood you have on hand. You could even use deck boards for easy storage after the storm.

If you have the room, space the plywood away from the window frame with 1x2's or 2x4's or similar. Hold the plywood up against the window frame and screw the strap-clip to the plywood. Use screws that don?t protrude thru the wood on the glass side. The end of the clip should want to dig into the brick. Put one clip in about every 15" or what ever amount you want.

I did this for hurricanes Ivan and Dennis and Katrina, they worked great. And best of all they are cheap!

I am ?selling? one sample of these, I am ?selling? this item as a public service to my fellow countrymen.

God bless America!

Back when Rita was approaching I listed the above info in ebay as a public service. ebay pulled the listing the first time because I was not selling anything, I was just posting the info for people who were hoping to find plylox at the last minute. So then I relisted it as selling samples. One bidder sent me one dollar via paypal as a thank you, LOL.

Get legal or get out.

Heavily fine or put in jail the ones hiring illegals.
Soon there would be way less illegals.

How do you know when Trump is doing something right????

When the D.C. status quo elite stuck in the mud out-of-touch pansies are crying foul at everything Trump is doing.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
White Marlin

You all should really get on the list for Rebuild North West Florida!!!! They WILL pay for 75% of Miami-Dade rated shutters if it's your primary homestead. They have the same deal for hurricane clips, gable bracing and spray foam SWR. I just inspected a home today that had the clips, gable bracing, spray foam and shutters for $2200 and it was about 2,000 sf. With the discounts the insurance companies give it pays for itself in a year or 2. You all really really really need to sign up for this. The government is throwing $ at you! Take it.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
johnsonbeachbum (8/20/2009)Hurricane clips, plywood to brick bracket or CHEAP ?Plylox? clips

Do you need those ?Plylox? clips that hold plywood up against your window? But your a cheapskate like me and do not want to pay $1 each?

Is Lowes and Home Depot out of them and it is too late to mail order them?

Make your own! For those that are not mechanically challenged, you still have time.

?Plylox? are made from metal banding-strapping material. If you go to their website, their performance report tells you the material is steel strapping. This banding-strapping material is the stuff the lumber bundle is strapped together with for shipping purposes. The lumber yard cuts it and throws it away. You can find it also wherever items come shipped in bundles or on pallets.

You can find this strapping in dumpsters for free at lumber yards everywhere.

Cut the strapping into 3 to 4 inch lengths with tin snips. Drill a hole in one end big enough for a drywall screw or simular screw.

Cut your plywood a hair smaller than the brick or block opening around your window. These clips allow you to use any thickness of wood you have on hand. You could even use deck boards for easy storage after the storm.

If you have the room, space the plywood away from the window frame with 1x2's or 2x4's or similar. Hold the plywood up against the window frame and screw the strap-clip to the plywood. Use screws that don?t protrude thru the wood on the glass side. The end of the clip should want to dig into the brick. Put one clip in about every 15" or what ever amount you want.

I did this for hurricanes Ivan and Dennis and Katrina, they worked great. And best of all they are cheap!

I am ?selling? one sample of these, I am ?selling? this item as a public service to my fellow countrymen.

God bless America!

Back when Rita was approaching I listed the above info in ebay as a public service. ebay pulled the listing the first time because I was not selling anything, I was just posting the info for people who were hoping to find plylox at the last minute. So then I relisted it as selling samples. One bidder sent me one dollar via paypal as a thank you, LOL.

That sir is an excellent idea.

Thanks.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Mike aka FishWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 03:55 AM   #10
Trigger

I have brick and sideing. Fle brick I use spring clips to hold plywood to brick. For Sideing I use pre drilled bolts withs ring nuts.
chefpomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in