Motor Not Getting Gas - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By floater1
  • 2 Post By lastcast
  • 1 Post By X-Shark

Old 11-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Motor Not Getting Gas

I bought a blazer bay 2170 new back in 2006 with a f150 Yamaha.
I used to use my boat almost every weekend. The last couple of years, it has been the opposite, due to health issues & elderly parents. My fuel gauge quit working & I had to have the sender replaced. The problem was getting access to it since the plate on the floor is not centered over the area you need to get to. Shortly after that my gauge quit again. This time it was the line from the sender to the gauge. My biggest issue was burning up the older gas. I ran it for a good 15 miles before it went back to replace the line. Took it out yesterday & ran for 3 miles, stopped for a few casts & started it back up, motor bogged down & then would not run. I thought for sure it was water in the gas tank. Took it fox's this morning. It was not water. They thought the bulb was bad. Tried a new bulb no luck. Next step is to check the pick up tube. He is going to have to make a larger hole from an 8 to an 11 plate. I am hoping that is all that it is. He tried to use an electric pump & still no gas. Anyone else ever have an issue similar to this?
todd river is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Take the fuel line off on the input side to the bulb(from the tank). Blow backwards towards the tank. Your fuel pick up hose has a screen on it and maybe picked up trash from the old fuel.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
Snapper

Check your filters. Especially the one on the motor.
The Hired Hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

The plastic tube on the pickup tube has probably dry rotted and broke off in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
holicori likes this.
floater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Grouper

Test it with a portable tank.
Joraca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Grand Slam

I would start at the bulb. If you take the bulb out and blow through the pick up fuel line you'll be able to tell if it's blocked and also if it's setting in fuel. Then connect the pick up line and pump the bulb. You "should" be getting fuel. Then connect the output line and disconnect the input to the water separator filter. pump the bulb and make sure fuel is there. Change the filter and keep moving up stream.
Yellow River Cat and holicori like this.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

They worked there way down and they could not get the pick uptube to loosen up. They saw that the bulb was between the gas tank and the water separator filter. So they reconfigured the gas line. Now the line goes from the tank to the seperator from there to the bulb and to the engine. They said it was an airlock. They talked to Keith at blazer about the pick up and he said that they never had to pull one off. I hope this solves the issue. If it was the pickup that would probably mean a trip to blazer
todd river is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
They saw that the bulb was between the gas tank and the water separator filter. So they reconfigured the gas line. Now the line goes from the tank to the seperator from there to the bulb and to the engine.

But guess what.....A Squeeze Ball is designed to "PUSH" not suck. So if the filter is empty and you try and fill it with the squeeze ball after the filter you will be there all day.

Yes manufactures rig them like your guys did....But that is because the factory fuel lines are not long enough. I talked to Kenny about this years ago. As a example: The factory fuel hose that is on a Yamaha is something like 3 meters long? [memory?] Which in a LOT of cases is not long enough.

The other thing is the ability or not to be able to get to the thing. In the days past of 2 strokes and carb's. You had better pump the ball to get it firm, before cranking the motor. With Fuel injection with Low and high pressure pumps....No one pumps the ball anymore, except to fill the fuel filter on a annual basis. Sure you can fill the filter before it's installed....But in a LOT of boats the filter is put in as a after through and thus is very hard to get to. Then you end up spilling fuel.

That configuration with the ball between the tank and filter was not the problem. I rig them that way all the time. However.....The correct way that the ball functions is in a vertical position.
RMS likes this.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
Grand Slam

The new G2 e techs don't have or need a primer bulb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in