Fuel Tank replacement? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gamefish27

Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Fuel Tank replacement?

Hey guys, I have a 2000 Dusky 25’6 with the original fuel tanks in it. (It has two 100 gallon tanks in it) With the tanks creeping up on being 20 years old, it raises a lot of question and concern. It currently runs great and I don’t have any issues. The boat has 2014 ETEC 150’s on it, so it’s pretty sound. I am likely going to have it re-wired next year for peace of mind and problem prevention. If I go through the trouble to have it re-wired then I am wondering if I should open the can of worms and replace the fuel tanks while I’m at it. How long do these Dusky tanks typically last... 20 years? I know there are a lot of factors that also influence that answer, but an average would be helpful. Thanks in advance! -Luke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

Your on borrowed time....Typically. It's just the nature of the beast.

Leakage of water being held and getting into the foam around the tank and sitting there.

The problem is, as you know.....There is no way of knowing unless the tanks are pulled. You can look at the top of the tank all day long....That will not tell you a thing. The problem is the alum does not have air around it to create it's own skin protection.

Now......If you planning on rewiring the boat....Do it AFTER the tanks are replaced.

I'm guessing your boat is a center console? In that console is all the wiring that will be disturbed. This is because the console is in the way of removing the tanks.

There is nothing worse than have a boat with shady wiring.....Then getting a job to do the tanks....Well the tanks get done, but now you get complaints about some wiring not working correctly.

Wiring wasn't in the price.....But it had to be disturbed to get to the tanks.

Food for through.

Let me know if I can help you.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Trigger

X-shark thanks for the reply. Yes it is a center console/open fisherman. I figured as much with being on borrowed time with the tanks. I almost exclusively fish 60-70 miles offshore every time I fish, so making sure that I keep up with maintenance is extremely critical and always on my mind. (It’s important no matter where you fish though lol)

The boat was “re wired” when it was repowered by the previous owner.... but it was not a complete job and they didn’t do it to my satisfaction at all. It’s awful.

And as you said there is nothing worse than sketchy wiring. I have pulled new wire for the pumps, and fixed a few things but I want to redo all of it at once and do it properly and CLEAN. I’m pretty handy but wiring is NOT my forte so I will pay a professional.

Anyways I say all that to fully agree with your statement that if I redo the wiring then I want to do the tanks first (or all at once) so that I don’t have to do things twice.

And I’m sure I am likely to find other problems when I open up the deck .... after all it is a boat. So if I open that can of worms then I need to be prepared to spend way more money than I want to lol.

The mental debate with myself lately has been do I sell it, or spend another $10-15k on this boat and keep it for another 5-7 years.
I absolutely love the platform and I can’t afford a newer boat of similar construction so that leaves my to think that I would be better off digging my money pit even deeper.

I Have roughly $35-37k in the boat and trailer right now, so if I do everything on my wish list and have $50k in the boat then in theory I will have exactly what I want and be better off that dropping $80-90k on a newer boat with similar equipment. Or will I? 🤪
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

X-Shark is highly recommended on this site as he has done a lot of work for many people including myself. He is very particular on his work as it showed in the work he did for me. He does not cut corners. Good luck with your project.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-Dude View Post
X-Shark is highly recommended on this site as he has done a lot of work for many people including myself. He is very particular on his work as it showed in the work he did for me. He does not cut corners. Good luck with your project.
Thank you for the referral! I will certainly be needing good referrals as I plan this endeavor. I am in the research phase now and saving phase.... by the time I have the money to do the necessary repairs and upgrades then it will be the end of the 2020 season and I can put everything into motion. Glad to hear you are happy with your work! That’s what I’m looking for, and that can be hard to find now days
Old 12-16-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
Grouper

I have coal tar epoxy 4-sale it you do replace the tanks. About 3.5 gals of it
Boat-Dude likes this.
Gamefish27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2019, 04:34 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

If you decide we can do it all at jolly Rogers marine currently working on a 37 century complete rewire with all new pumps and electronics thanks kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
floater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in