Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Cape Horn 22os GPS anchor

10K views 59 replies 11 participants last post by  Boat-Dude 
#1 ·
Anyone running a trolling motor/gps anchor on a Cape Horn 22os? I'm in the research phase for now and probably won't upgrade for a while but curious to see what others are using.

#4 ·
I talked to the guy that runs All Jack'd Up charters out of Perdido Key and he's running a 36v Ipilot with the 87" shaft (can't remember the poundage but I'm sure it's the max theye offer)on his 24OS and said it works great. Said it pulls out of the water when the seas get sporty due to the bow height but other than that no problem.

#11 ·
Your not going to be happy with that....I just tore a setup out of a Sportsman 227...

Come see me if you want to see and I'll explain the whole system.

In your drawing....You have no dedicated House battery....Your also depending on [Maybe?] a 50amp alt to charge 2 batteries that can be pulled down hard.

Will it charge them....Yes....But how far /long will you need to run the outboard to do so.....I bet they will never get a Full charge.

#9 ·
I just installed a Minn Kota Ulterra 80 with 60" shaft 24V on a 2012 20' cape last weekend. Install was pretty straight forward. Tested the deploy/stow functions on it and the 60" was good for me. With a 22' having deeper haul I would suggest at least the 72" shaft. All I have left is to finish up some wiring and install the charging system and it will be ready to put in the water for a real test. Was going to post some pics on here after it was finished.

#12 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I can connect to the starter battery instead of the common connection of the switch. In that case, the diagram will be exactly what the charger manufacturer recommends. My F300UCA outputs 50A. I plan to have the batteries topped off before each trip. Realistically, we don't get out but once a month so charging on shore will not be an issue. We typically drop/move drop move... If we stay on a spot for an extended time, i will likely just throw out the anchor instead of pound the batteries for hours. Do you recommend a particular charger over the Trollbridge shown in my drawing?

Maybe I can swing by next time I'm in Pcola. Thanks for the offer.

#16 ·
I’m very happy with my Rhodan so far. The control isn’t fancy but work perfectly. Remember to unplug your motor before charging the batteries. They claim it could screw up the motherboard in the motor controls.

#22 ·
Thx, this will change your fishing for ever! I know you are excited. I want to see your results because I am getting the bigger boat syndrome illness. I don't want to get anything bigger then a 21/22ft boat and it will have to have an i-pilot but I want to be able to get away with a 72"-24v system. Good luck take lots of pictures.

#24 · (Edited)
Most of the electrical work is done. Did a test fit and it looks like this is the best spot without having to remove the anchor light and cleat. I’m thinking a piece of 1” starboard for a bracket to get a little better clearance. Any cons to having off center like this?

I can open the anchor and cooler doors in this location (slightly adjusted from the picture) but the puck will only have 2 bolts through the deck which means a need a bracket.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.