90 HP Evinrude Power Problem - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default 90 HP Evinrude Power Problem

I have a 1998 Evinrude 90hp Model # E90TSLECM that falls on it's face every time you apply the the throttle under load. It will rev just fine hooked up to the hose but in the water will only idle and dies if you give it the throttle even real slowly. The carbs are so clean you can drink out of them. Probably not synchronized but they have to be close as it fires up 1st try. Been trying to do some research but everywhere I look I get different answers. I know without physically being in front of it you can only guess but maybe I can get a little more definite answer as to what the problem might be and possibly the correct diagnoses for the problems. I consider myself quite mechanical as I can rebuild car engines and fix most things on cars. Being retired and on a fixed income I need to try to figure this out myself and will take it to a boat mechanic as a last resort if I can't fix it. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Homfixr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
Mingo

Following.
Barnacled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2018, 01:04 AM   #3
Trigger

I would start off with the fuel supply. Could be something as simple as the primer bulb. Maybe hook it up to a different fuel tank to verify.

MyAmy
Deep South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Sailfish

I have the same engine on my 22' Panga. With 2 people, 40 gallons of fuel and fishing gear it will do 34 knots.
I would check fuel supply; how old is the fuel? I pump old fuel from my boat tank through a water trap, filter and burn it in my old Chevy van. Then I get new, 100% gas, -NO Ethanol. I have disabled the VRO, (Very Rapid Overhaul) and mix my own fuel 50 - 1.
Have you checked the fuel filters? How about the fuel lines, are they in good shape, not collapsed. How about the fuel pick up inside your tank? I have had one develop a pin hole leak and not allow enough fuel.
Have you tried a 6 gallon remote tank? If not, I have one you can borrow.
It does not sound like an electrical problem, but ... How old are the spark plugs?
Good Luck & keep us posted.
Yellow River Cat likes this.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I run mine off 2 six gallon tanks that came with the boat. I have had the boat for 10 years and have changed the fuel line only twice. I always got a complete fuel line bulb included. I have only run clean new ethanol free in it. If the fuel is older than 6 months I change it and like oldflathead... run it in my van. I have recently replaced the fuel filter. The VRO was disabled when I got the boat by the way is a 17' Whaler and that motor will push that light boat along at 51mph according to the GPS on a smooth day that is. Before I resort to some expensive mechanic bills I will buy a new tank and complete fuel line. Out of all the results this seems to be the only thing I haven't checked and considering 2 people here right off the bat said the same thing it will be a good place to start. Compression is within couple of pounds so that is good and I just got a spark tester but haven't tried that yet. I will try to post the results of the new tank. This test might take a couple weeks to run as I said before on a tight budget here. THNX for the replies and will check back soon!
Old 04-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Would like to know your reasoning for the new tank, that's $$$ you can spend elsewhere. Have you put in new plugs yet?
kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Did you clean the high speed jets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
floater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Reasoning behind new tank is that even with a complete new line with ends and bulb, these tanks which are well over 10 years old, the bulb would get hard but over a short time especially when I stop to fish the bulbs would be soft again. Thinking back on the reason I bought new lines in the first place maybe the tank pickups are worn out, leaking or have a pin hole in them might just be the cause of the soft primer bulb. Something not holding pressure. But even as this happens the motor used to run flat out if needed. Not sure what a high speed jet is but sounds like the jets in the carb which are brand new that came with the kits. Yes new plugs were installed and gaped to specs last year but didn't help either.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:54 AM   #9
Mako Shark
Mingo

STOP CHAsing problems with money. Run it off a 6 gal gas tank with new fuel line ans if that works irs ur fuel tank... i bet tho its either your stator or coil packs gone back. Check your spark. Sounds like youre only get spark on some of the cylinders or weak spark which would mean stator
Floridaboater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #10
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Your compression readings are within a couple pounds of what? What was the reading?

Are you sure you put in new jets since you don't know what a high speed jet is? You could have replaced the float seat.

Plus, you can get new parts for the gas tank if needed to rebuild but the motor should run off whatever is in the float bowl for awhile, think about it.
Homfixr likes this.

Last edited by kanaka; 04-22-2018 at 05:59 AM.
kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in