For you SAAVY Marine Techno's out there... Is this a good deal? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default For you SAAVY Marine Techno's out there... Is this a good deal?

<H3>OK... I have just started looking around for an inexpensive, but pretty good VHF radios for my yak.. because you never know when you will need one. However... I do NOT want a used one nor one that will run me over say... $100.00. I'd like to be able to have the "3" yr warranty also.. just in case it breaks down with normal use. This one comes with everything too!! Sooo... is the one below... something I could get good use from should I get into trouble yaking in the gulf.. or bayways... or should I look at others? This was pretty inexpensive... with shipping.. around $62.00. It does have a 5 watt of transmit power and that is good... plus.. would I ever need anything farther than 14 miles??? I pray not!!!</H3>

Thanks for all your input... as always!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14 Mile Midland Nautico Marine Handheld VHF Radio NT1VP
<SPAN class=smallcaps>Sku: NT1VP

Brand New! Factory Sealed!<H3>Package Includes:</H3>

Radio, Watertight Case, Battery Charger &amp; AC Adapter<H3>Features:</H3><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><UL><LI>88 Channels <LI>5 Watts of Transmit Power <LI>10 NOAA Weather Channels <LI>Up to 14 Mile Range </LI>[/list]</TD><TD><UL><LI>3 Call Tones <LI>Emergency Channel 16 Button <LI>Water Resistant <LI>Auto Squelch </LI>[/list]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
SheYakFishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: For you SAAVY Marine Techno's out there... Is this a good deal?

VHF is "line of sight" transmission. With the yak's low profile don't think you could count on 14 mile range. Normal size VHF is 25 watts, all handhelds are 5 watts.

All that is to say it is probably a fair deal but be careful when counting on it. I would think a cell phone in a waterproof carry case would be more dependable.

Good Luck!!!
Instant Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Snapper

I don't think it is a bad deal,but i would look for a submersible handheld if i were using it on a yak,because you never know when it may fall in.They also have floating handhelds.
Last Chance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Instant Karma (10/15/2007)VHF is "line of sight" transmission. With the yak's low profile don't think you could count on 14 mile range. Normal size VHF is 25 watts, all handhelds are 5 watts.

All that is to say it is probably a fair deal but be careful when counting on it. I would think a cell phone in a waterproof carry case would be more dependable.

Good Luck!!!
Thanks! I always carry my cell phone.. I guess I could always dial 911 and give them my gps coordinates... but what I was worried about... I would think it would be faster to just push a button and hollar for help on 16... should I sink... or something. Maybe I could rig an externalantenna on my pirate flag pole.Hmmmmm... I'm just trying to become more safety conscience while out and about.

The one above comes with a waterproof case.. and it looks like you just turn the squelch knob thru the plastic and can push any of the buttons with the case on. I have been looking on several yak sites.. and they also sell several waterproof cases that you can still operate the buttons and knobs and still talk and hear from it. I would probably get a better case for the above radio.. if I get it.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Sailfish

I have three listed on the "For Sale" forum - all three are $100 or less, and all are waterproof or submersible.

Ed
PensacolaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
PensacolaEd (10/15/2007)I have three listed on the "For Sale" forum - all three are $100 or less, and all are waterproof or submersible.

Ed
Yeah.. I saw them Ed... and they are probably a GREAT deal.. but I was wanting something with all the parts and chargers etc... and with a warranty (most are 3 years)... should it crap out on me....especially being in the yak. The last time I bought something without everything included... it cost even more to buy all the chargers, parts,and holder/case and could have bought a brand new one a lot cheaper. Thanks tho!

I also found that SAME unit (above)for only $52.96 with shipping!!! Gotta love ebay!!
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Sailfish

I would get some sort of water resistance, submersible unit. If you need it, its going to be wet.

Also, can you get one that you could hook your gps up to and send the panic message? I forget what that's called. Do they even have handhelds with that capability?

Cell phone should be a must, but I would suspect you could get contact to the help you need quicker with a marine radio then with cell.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Sailfish

did a quick search, saw several posts that echoed this one. Also saw where people where happy. I think you are going to have transmitt problems with any radio you go with. You probably aren't going to go far with a hand held off a kayak.

<TABLE class=BVReviewDisplay cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><DIV class=BVReviewData><SPAN class=BVReviewTitle><SPAN class=BVreviewTitle>Not as Good as they say, <SPAN class=BVdateCreated>November 21, 2006
<SPAN class=BVReviewer>By <SPAN class="BVReviewerNickname BVReviewerNicknameText">ohbeans <SPAN class=BVreviewerLocation>from Hunter in New York
</DIV><DIV class=BVSecondaryRatings></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD class=BVcontent>
<SPAN class=BVContentReviewText>"Hi all, Just wanted to say its a shame that they dont work as good as they look / size . Nice and small.. We use these in the woods on flat land , and they have no range neer what they say, the other guy could be about 75 yrds away from you and when he talks to you , they come in very low and all static ...the person with the regular size vhf talks , they are loud and clear .. No comparison ... I know they work better line of sight but why does the bigger radio work so much better from the same area , even further away from you ???May work better for you in your area ,, I don't see that tho.. Good Luck if you purchase them I have 4 units .." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Sailfish

Hmmm.. I've been trying to read reviews and some of them just post stars. I saw where Humminbird's VHF55S is rated pretty high. I guess cheaper is not better in this case... if you can't hear anything. Maybe that is why they even send an earbob so you can hear the little bit you can hear. laffs... I guess back to the drawing board! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
Sailfish

receiving is probably not going to be the main problem. Its going to be transmitting. in a kayak, you will be the at the lowest point possible so your line of sight will be the worst case scenerio. The best thing to do would be to borrow one and try it out, see what you can do. Surely someone around has one you could borrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in