Wooden Swing Set? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Default Wooden Swing Set?

Im fixing to buy a swingset for my oldest boy and would really like one of those wooden swings with the slides and all that mess. Has anyone bought one or know anything about them. There is a ton of them and cant make my mind up on which one I want to buy. Id like to keep it around $500 or so.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Grouper

If you enjoy working with wood, have a circular saw and a cordless drill, you can make one for less than half the price. A friend went to SAM's and bought a wooden swing set with slide, two swings, two-story play house and monkey bars for $1,100.00. The thing had soooooo many tiny nuts and bolts. Directions were crazy. Took him a couple of weeks to put it together. On the other hand, I went to Lowes and looked at what they had on display and said "I can build that!". Made my own design, two swings, slide, rock wall and play house. I used treated wood, searched online for rocks for the rock climbing wall (those plastic ones are expensive) and deck screws. I think I spent a total of around $500. It was fun to do.
FishinFool is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Mingo

I got my kids last year from walmart. Keep an eye out for them selling the displays out front. I got the 799.00 one for 359.00. The best part about it was I only took apart the main section and used a big trailer to haul it home and hide it in the neighbors yard. Santa didn't have to much assembling to do!
tkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFool View Post
If you enjoy working with wood, have a circular saw and a cordless drill, you can make one for less than half the price. A friend went to SAM's and bought a wooden swing set with slide, two swings, two-story play house and monkey bars for $1,100.00. The thing had soooooo many tiny nuts and bolts. Directions were crazy. Took him a couple of weeks to put it together. On the other hand, I went to Lowes and looked at what they had on display and said "I can build that!". Made my own design, two swings, slide, rock wall and play house. I used treated wood, searched online for rocks for the rock climbing wall (those plastic ones are expensive) and deck screws. I think I spent a total of around $500. It was fun to do.
What he said! I just went through this very thing this past weekend. Home Depot had the exact set up you are talking about for $239, but you still have to buy all the timbers and put it together. Like Fishnfool said, I looked at and said, "i can build that a lot cheaper" - famous last words I know. I bought three swings, the lumber and the hardware for $200. Kepp in mind, the lumber was about $140-160 of that, which you would still have to buy if you bought the "kit" they advertised for $239. In fact, the kit didn't come with the slide - you had to buy that seperate also. I did have a family member fabricate a couple steel brackets to help tie the two 4x4 legs to the 4x6 cross timber (the one the swings hang from). So, basically, all the lumber needed was 4 4x4 (whatever length you want) and one 4x6 (I used 12' for three swings) and a couple 2x6's for cut pieces to make supports on each side and a sack full of lag bolts and eye bolts. I still can't figure out how to attach pics, but if you would like me to send you one for reference - just PM me your email.
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in