wind mitigation - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Default wind mitigation

I just got a Home owners renewal notice in the mail, it went from $1604 to $3268. I have a GC coming this week to do a Wind Mitigation Inspection on my home for $75.00. He said that after the inspection I may save $200- $1500 a year.

Has anyone had a inspection done, if so what kind of saving have you seen on your policy? Thanks Duerwood
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Sailfish

Bullshark on here as done hundreds, many prob family and friends so Im sure he could answer any questions you had about it. Its contingent on a couple variables, as you can see on the range of discount you might possibly receive. It is def worth the 75 bucks though
?MEGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

thanks
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Snapper

Default Good Idea...

We did the wind midigation inspection on both our home and our rental home....we saved a large amount of money...got several discounted we hadn't expected....

Good Luck...
miztergentz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Snapper

Well worth your $75. I had it done on my 1994 house and it reduced from about $3,000 to $2,200. With a little shopping around I got a lot more coverage and am only paying $1950. Also apply for a credit with your current ins. company if the policy is still in effect. I ended up with Tower Hill and James Labbie @ Florida Insurance in Pace as agent, I think they have an office in P'cola too. Ken
deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

And if there are certain items you don't have, hurricane strapping, etc...compare the cost vs' the discount you wll get, and you may find it is worth it to hire someone to perform them.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Sailfish

Yep, Bullshark did mine and my premium dropped about $600.
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
White Marlin

Hey get it done! I'm in Miami now so i'm out but my father does santa rosa and okaloosa so if you need him let me know. $75 is a good price but there is a guy in Pensacola doing them for $50. Another thing you can do if you have a little extra cash to invest for a big pay back is use rebuild nw florida. They will install many mitigation upgrades and the state will pay for 80% of them and at the end they will do a wind mit inspection for free. But honestly you should not be paying that much so contact an independent like Turtle who owns an agency. You can't go wrong with any independent agents. I pay less than $1,000 for my home in Navarre after the inspection and shopping around. You will save the most if your home was built after 1970 and your roof was redone after march 1st 2002. Good luck. PM me if you have any questions. I still have quite a few connections in that area.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Snapper

Default I Second Bull Shark's comments

I use an agency at the foot of the GB bridge in that area with the barrel shaped tile roofs. It is a Nationwide organization, but they are a broker for numerous insurers.

My primary house dropped to $1400 a year vs. over 2,000. I had to have the wind mitigation done and a fellow they use (I paid) came out and did the check. If you plan on upgrading exterior coverings etc, do it prior to the inspection. I spent about $1100 for Galvenized storm panels and installed them myself. That saved major $$$. My house is a 2002 build with me as the GC. All strapped and nailed to schedule. The inspector used a metal detector to verify the nail patterns.

I recommend shopping the insurance to an agency that represents several insurers. Be sure and ask for the AM Best rating. I wouldn't go with a company less than a A or A+. The ratings deal with solvency and other issues. Your insurer expects you to not shop the insurance as most don't have the luxury of offering more than one product. That is where a broker is better for such as this. You will be shocked at what you will get. Also, be aware that the program most of these insurance agents use inflates the build of your house with stuff you don't have in the house. Example, wool carpet, interior stucco vs. sheetrock.... Challenge the value they place on your house. Don't bet emotional and think your $200,000 house is worth $400,000. Be realistic and also address your contents. Usually, it is a percentage of the value of the house. They will not pay you for more than what you have, so be realistic and get what you need.

I went through mine and got down to a value I could live with and rebuild the house with. The insurance agent wants the higher # as it is more $$$ in their pocket. I value an agency that looks to keep $$$ in my pocket, but leave me properly protected.

Cheers,

Bob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnbob View Post
I use an agency at the foot of the GB bridge in that area with the barrel shaped tile roofs. It is a Nationwide organization, but they are a broker for numerous insurers.

My primary house dropped to $1400 a year vs. over 2,000. I had to have the wind mitigation done and a fellow they use (I paid) came out and did the check. If you plan on upgrading exterior coverings etc, do it prior to the inspection. I spent about $1100 for Galvenized storm panels and installed them myself. That saved major $$$. My house is a 2002 build with me as the GC. All strapped and nailed to schedule. The inspector used a metal detector to verify the nail patterns.

I recommend shopping the insurance to an agency that represents several insurers. Be sure and ask for the AM Best rating. I wouldn't go with a company less than a A or A+. The ratings deal with solvency and other issues. Your insurer expects you to not shop the insurance as most don't have the luxury of offering more than one product. That is where a broker is better for such as this. You will be shocked at what you will get. Also, be aware that the program most of these insurance agents use inflates the build of your house with stuff you don't have in the house. Example, wool carpet, interior stucco vs. sheetrock.... Challenge the value they place on your house. Don't bet emotional and think your $200,000 house is worth $400,000. Be realistic and also address your contents. Usually, it is a percentage of the value of the house. They will not pay you for more than what you have, so be realistic and get what you need.

I went through mine and got down to a value I could live with and rebuild the house with. The insurance agent wants the higher # as it is more $$$ in their pocket. I value an agency that looks to keep $$$ in my pocket, but leave me properly protected.

Cheers,

Bob
All good points, but do not under-insure your house and remember it costs lots more to fix one than it does to build new plus the cost to tear down the old one. Many people have thought they were saving money by being insured for less than it costs to replace their house. They may have, but if you have big damage like many did after Ivan, you can be screwed. Also, remember that your house in this market probably costs much more to build than to buy. Insure yourself accordingly and don't risk the co-insurance penalty for being under insured.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in