Old 07-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Why you should learn English!

Getsome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Why you should learn English!

Another example of a fellow military member making us look bad. Why dopeople over therehate us so much?... Gee, I don't know. We've got guys over there going through some rough stuff, no doubt about it. And they're doing a great job.Stuff like this though... not cool.
thegarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Sailfish

Man what are you talking about? Put yourself in their shoes! That is passing time in a badplace where this is probably a good possibility that he will mortar them later tonight!
Getsome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Agreed, but there's better ways to pass the time than doing that. I'm sure those guys couldn't care less, and I don't blame them one bit. I can only imagine what the guys outside the wire go through. I'mone of the AF guysthat has to hunker down when the rockets/mortars come in because that's what we'retold to do, and it's all we really can do. I've seen a couple of other pictures like this, and when you look at the bigger picture, it just makes us look like a bunch of a-holes. What would happen if the media got a hold of that picture? It would justadd fuel to the fire. You saw what happened with the Quran shooting thing. A little out of proportion for this, but it's all along the same lines. I'm all for them doing whatever makes them happy and gets them through it... but there's other ways of going about it. (Hell, they could take all the pics like that they want, but justnot send it out.)
thegarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Trigger

It hurts me to see fellow military members doing this. Where's the honor in doing something like this? Is it funny, yes. Is it professional, HELL no! We've got videos on YouTube of Marines/Soldiers/whoever purportedly shooting dogs, etc. These things reflect poorly on the entire chain of command, not to mention the military as a whole. As a military, we are held to a much higher standard than your average American citizen. We cannot afford to have American's view us in a negative light, because no matter what we think, we need their support. Semper Fi.

:usaflag

SemperFi-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Hmmm..., we appreciate your patriotism, but for those of us who have spent time in the mideast trying to fight/create a friendship and trust (under shitty conditions) where hatred runs rampant, I must agree that this photo is childish BS and not funny. What does it accomplish concerning international relations? It just makes us as Americans and the US Military look bad.

I don't mean to bust on you Getsome by any means, it's just after being exposed to the real circumstances in the mideast, we have the opportunityto see things differently. It's quite different in actuality and there is much more hope for the future (where they hold on desperately to hope) than you see in the worthless American media. Our media concerns themselves with only what makes them ratings. These people want what we take for granted, freedom, to elect their leaders, and most of all normalcy and peace.

Much of America will find humor in this photo. Many of us in uniform feel just like thegarb,sad that our personal efforts are shattered by the idiot wearing the military uniform in the photo. Doesn't anyone remember the photos from Abu Graib prison and the effect it had world wide? It turned the world against the US, all because some idiots thought is was fun. This photo is obviously small beans, but it still kicks us who serve in the balls on the mistakes our brothers and sisters continue to make with bad judgement. The American people don't pay for it, but we and those we try to "save" do. It does nothing to solve the problem, win the hearts of those we went to "save", or win a war. It just fuels our enemies propaganda using photos like this against us, and makes the US military look bad.

Just a different opinion for you to consider.
Alsworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Sailfish

Funny, not PC but funny. The problem isnt so much the young mans attempt at humor. The more serious problem is the Americans (media) that would spin this against the USA. I hope this gave the young trooper and his buddies an hour worth of laughter and eased some of the stress of the day to day mission.

Just the opinion of a old retired Mustang Naval Officer.

:usaflag

Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Mike aka FishWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Mingo

Alsworld, well said.

I spent over 25 years in Europe working for the USA, often engaged in activities to promote Americians andthisgreat country. As funny as that picture may seem, I feel that that uniform just setthe American image back further than all the years many of us spent building it.

I seem to recall being told, as we went ashore, thatwe were to remember, that after all else, we were viewed as American diplomats to the locals.
Beefisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Trigger

As a USAF Air Commando, whose primary job is to train partner nation personnel, I have to say that is completely counterproductive. That photo is a black eye for all uniformed service members serving honorably around the globe (if it is even real...see SNOPES). It shows a lack of maturity and a complete breakdown of military discipline. If I was the guy's commander and saw that picture, he'd be screwed. No one likes to be at war, and certainly no one wants to fight for people who may or may not care that we are there to help, but like it or not, that's our job and we need to do it professionally. Over and out from Joint Base Balad, Iraq.

Harry
Harry Brosofsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Sailfish

I also... feel it was done in poor taste... VERY unproductive. I understand they need to let out some stress... but doing something that is in print... for the world to see... makes him/us look bad. :reallycrying
SheYakFishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in