Why did you start your own business? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
WW2
Sailfish

Default Why did you start your own business?

I would like to hear from some business owners the main few reasons why you started your own business.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
White Marlin

Because I hate hate hate corporate crap. I don't like being the punching bag if the boss has a bad day. More $. With all that said it's a constant hustle and I'm over it so back to school for me. A steady paycheck from the state as a subcontractor in a job where I help kids is to good of a opportunity to pass up. I'm glad I did it though.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Good question.
I did the suit, little business boy thing many years ago and realized that (at least for me) it was going to bury me..... I have a problem with caring to much, and could not stomach the corporate grind and all the BS that goes along with it.........
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Trigger

I too hate the corporate crap. I hate setting myself up to make a a$$load of money only to have the boss come up with some "enhancements" to the compensation plan based on "studies" and "research". The only thing they're researching is how to get more money for them and less for you.

I hate having some jerk off freaking tool tell me how to dress, when to be where, what meeting to attend, etc.

So I got canned last July, I filled out 1 application. Filling out 1 application was enough to make me say F... IT! I had seen it coming and saved money appropriately. I love Pensacola. I didn't even entertain moving my family so I could move to another town and get rear ended by another jack ass employer. I know my industry well (promo products/apparel/printing), had good vendor relationships, good clients, contacts, etc. so it made the most sense to me to set it up on my own.

6-7 months into it, I'm not rich but my bills are paid. If the same jerk off asked me to come back to work for him and offered to triple what I'm making now, I would kick his ass, then tell him no thank you. Yes, there's a lot of uncertainty but I love my routine. I wake up, take my son to school, hit the gym, come home and work. If I want to work 20 hours today, I will. If I want to knock off in 20 minutes because it's freaking beautiful outside, I will.

Fortunately, my business requires very little overhead. It does require good credit or at least access to good credit lines. There are some months where I haven't been able to take a pay check and I pay bills from savings. If you're planning on doing this, I would suggest having at least 6 months of savings but probably more like 12. Right now, my business is growing, fast. That means I'm putting money back into the business as fast as I make it. My wife has a part time job also. That helps. It almost pays the mortgage.

Have a good plan, have a reserve fund, get a good accountant. Good luck...
jw1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Sailfish

I figured opening a couple of businesses was the fastest way that Obama could redistribute my wealth to the "have nots" -- since the small business man that I am is viewed as being wealthy by the liberal politicians.
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Sailfish

Had enough of the corporate BS. Not to mention the long hours and travel time. Was working 60 hours a week. Now I have the time to do the things I want too- like fishing.

Accutech Carpet And Tile Cleaning

850-529-1335
kelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Sailfish

To be my own boss. I love what I do.

gameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
White Marlin

I still make a good living in my full time job but that's something I've been doing for 28 yrs and still enjoy today. Because of the nature of my full time job, I desperately needed something to get me up and moving, this sure does it.
brnbser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Grouper

i have worked on my own going on 8 years or so and i love it, being a single dad i need to be able to take off work when she needs me. regular jobs 9-5 wont allow the well my kid is sick and cant come in for 4 days. the work i do now i can take off as long as i need and not have any repercusions. i dont make a killing on my main job but im happy and have a 6 month saveings but my side work is my gravy train im stadly adding cars to. and with my attitude and outlook towards stupid people prevent me from working at walmart or somewhere i have to bite my lip i love telling a dumb ass they are a dumb ass and is worth everything i go thru on a daily
mrwigglezdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
Grouper

After 15 years of working for others, I was driven to the conclusion that truth and justice could prevail only randomly after the corporate filtering process was complete.

I have worked for myself for the last 15 years and have never considered going back to work for the man.

Joraca
Joraca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in