What happened with N'ville's fireworks?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Grouper

Default What happened with N'ville's fireworks??

We watch the fireworks each year at my friend's townhouse on Boggy bayou and this year they parked the barge directly in front of us so we were right on the 50 yard line! The display started out on a typical grand scale as they allow almost no lag time between bursts as some of the other towns have a tendency to do. About 20 minutes into the show, there was an apparent misfire on the barge and the fireworks went off just above the barge and off to the side instead of up high in the air. A short time later, the tugboat spot light came on and it looked like they were inspecting the barge for fires. In fact, there was a small fire on the Niceville side of the barge. The old Elmer Fudd signoff was played to indicate the end of the fireworks display and we all sat on the second story deck and began to talk about how short the whole show was this year when, all of a sudden, more fireworks began to go off! And it became one huge final grande finale to end all that I have ever seen in my almost 70 years on this planet!! The explosions were deafening and some of the fireworks went off at water level, flew sideways to the barge, and all were flying in the air at once.

I have to say that, if anyone captured that final burst of fireworks on video, it will be most impressive to view!! We all were stunned and after the last burst finally exploded, there was utter silence amongst the 20 or so friends on that deck. I had never seen anything like if even during the heyday of the St. Louis riverfront fireworks back in the late '90's that made all the national news for their uninterrupted final display!

So, what went wrong?? That surely was not the original plan to fire off almost half of the entire display at one time and have so many fireworks go awry! The FWC boats and the other patrol boats all converged on the barge immediately after the excitement had ended but it was too dark to see anything of interest.
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Grand Slam

lastcast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Grouper

Thanks lastcast for posting that video! That is one amazing finale for a fireworks show in my opinion. The video did not show the very beginning of that final round of fireworks but there were quite a few that exploded on deck or just off the deck of the barge, you can see a few of them going off in the very beginning of the video. All of us who viewed this final round agreed that it was definitely not a normal ending to a fireworks show. There seemed to be no control over the firing whatsoever and the manner in which it all started made us think that something may have ignited a few of them and the ensuing explosions may be led to the others being fired at will. I am quite sure that the tugboat captain dropped a large load in his shorts when that final display started going off directly in front of his wheelhouse though!
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in