What golf clubs to buy? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Mingo

Default What golf clubs to buy?

I'm looking at buying a new set of sticks. I've picked up golf a bit more lately and feel like it's time to trade in Dad's old hand-me-downs and get a nice set of clubs at a somewhat reasonable price. I'm not very knowledgeable on what to buy. I'm looking for something that is forgiving but will still give me some distance. Really open to any suggestions.

Thanks
KINGMACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Grouper

I've got a set of Tommy Armours for sale here on the forums, I'm asking 170. Used only a couple times.
Apollo46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Sailfish

It all depends on how far you can hit 'em. What you shoot right now with the "old" clubs. You can spend up to 1500 dollars on the high tech clubs. I have 15 year old plus clubs. I don't care for the "new" ones. the new ones don't make me play any better or hit it any farther. I tried the new R11 driver last month and couldn't hit it more than 130 yards. Yet I can hit a 6 iron 190. My problem is in my head, purely phsycological. Go to a sports store that has the mat to hit all the clubs you need that will show you how far and what not on the computer. Store like Dick's or something like it.
kahala boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
White Marlin

I really like my Taylor Made draws. Check out http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/irons-ironsets.html
You can save a butt ton of $ on that site.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahala boy View Post
It all depends on how far you can hit 'em. What you shoot right now with the "old" clubs. You can spend up to 1500 dollars on the high tech clubs. I have 15 year old plus clubs. I don't care for the "new" ones. the new ones don't make me play any better or hit it any farther. I tried the new R11 driver last month and couldn't hit it more than 130 yards. Yet I can hit a 6 iron 190. My problem is in my head, purely phsycological. Go to a sports store that has the mat to hit all the clubs you need that will show you how far and what not on the computer. Store like Dick's or something like it.
If your really wanting to get into golf then go to a golf shop (Edwin Watts, Golf Outlet, maybe your local pro shop etc) and have them fit you. Reason being a fitted club will play to you not you playing to it. If your looking at say Pings then you can find out what size/dot color you are you can start searching the internet for a set of used with the same dot and shaft stiffness. You can pick up a set of eye2, eye3, or zings for pretty cheap and they all are very good clubs.

Unless your a just a begginer a high quality set of clubs will change your game immediately. There is a ton of difference between hitting a walmart set of clubs and hitting a ping or callaway caliber club. Distance is not as important as feel and accuracy. You can hit it a mile but if you can't hit the fairway or the green it doesn't matter.

I'm currently hitting a ping eye3 blade irons blue dot and a 8.5 degree Clevland driver all with extra stiff shafts. I use to be scratch golfer in the day but I don't play as much as I use to. I actually went 2 weekends ago for the 1st time in 19months after blowing my shoulder out. Shot a 41 at Tangleweed in Milton. Had I not flubbed 3 chips and hit 1 OB I would had been in the hunt for a sub par front 9. Not bad for 19 months off though LOL! Had to take a rain check on the back 9. Felt very good to be out there bang a few down the fairway!
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Sailfish

I recommend trying hybrids to replace the long irons. I have 2-6 Adams, and they have really helped my game. Now if I could just find a putter that I could hit the broad side of a barn with????????
Buckyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in