Well it will probably come here too - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Well it will probably come here too

They have been doing this in several states for a while. The police in some states have trained phlebotomist that can draw blood on the spot, they do not even have to have a warrant.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...5079&catid=250

Tampa, Florida-- With New Year's Eve only days away, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration expects this to be one of the deadliest weeks of the year on the roads.
But now a new weapon is being used in the fight against drunk driving.
It's a change that could make you more likely to be convicted.
"I think it's a great deterrent for people," said Linda Unfried, from Mother's Against Drunk Driving in Hillsborough County.
Florida is among several states now holding what are called "no refusal" checkpoints.
It means if you refuse a breath test during a traffic stop, a judge is on site, and issues a warrant that allows police to perform a mandatory blood test.
It's already being done in several counties, and now Unfried is working to bring it to the Tampa Bay area.
"I think you'll see the difference because people will not drink and drive. I truly believe that," she said.
Not everyone is on board, though.
DUI defense attorney Kevin Hayslett sees the mandatory blood test as a violation of constitutional rights.
"It's a slippery slope and it's got to stop somewhere," Hayslett explained, "what other misdemeanor offense do we have in the United States where the government can forcefully put a needle into your arm?"
The federal government says Florida has among the highest rates of breathalyzer refusal.
"Now you've got attorneys telling their clients, don't blow, don't blow! Because we know from the results from these machines that they're not operating as the state or the government says they're supposed to operate," said Stephen Daniels, a DUI consultant and expert witness.
Supporters, though, say you could see the "no refusal" checkpoints in the Bay area by October.
"We don't want to violate people's civil rights. That's the last thing we want to do, but we're here to save lives," Unfried said.
She adds that this type of checkpoint would be heavily advertised, with the goal of deterring any drunk driving.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has recently said he wants to see more states hold similar programs.

FO
Freedom Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
Trigger

Article clearly states that a warrant is issued by a judge who is at the site. In answer to the defense attorney - it stops when the drunks are off the road. I don't care what they do to get them off the road. Bring it on, tomorrow is not soon enough.
whyworry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

I wonder if they keep records of how much .08 Money that they will generate.....................If they would simply hide in the bushes and Rob the stagecoach like they did in the wild, wild west movies, they could Generate revenue from EVERYONE...............

It's always quiet after someone makes the Drinking and Driving Sermon... If you speak out, you are associated with " Those People"......................They have a bunch of "mad Mothers" helping to fill their pockets with "Grief Money" because somthing bad happened.... They will one day stand next to the Beer coolers at Publix and bust you at the point of sale.........,,,,I do not support the idea of impaired driving, I simply belive that .08 is in place to generate money for a long line of powerful intrests ........ I hope that Everyone takes steps to have a safe Holiday, and Don't Drink and Drive..... If Grandma offers you a cup of egg nog, punch her out...
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
White Marlin

I doubt they do it for the $. This is just to keep people who don't decide to drink and drive alive. On the other hand the penalty for refusing the sobriety is losing your dl for 1 year. And you have to get a lawyer for about 5k and still spend the night in jail. If you just take the DUI/ sobriety test the lose of your dl is 6 months and the ticket is $1700. Then you have to go to 1 night of a MADD class and some community service. I got one in college. There's nothing like going to MADD class 3 months after your DUI which is 2 months after your bestfriend/roomate died to see the second pic in their slide show your dead friend wrapped around a telephone pole at UNF and your surfboard broke in half on the ground next to the truck. That will change you.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

was this a .08 crash???
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagged Line View Post
was this a .08 crash???
Don't know. I agree with the .08 thing but everyone reacts to alcohol different so instead of going on the high side of the curve they took the lower. They would be castrated by MADD if they did 1.0 or 1.5. A 220lb buddy of mine got a DUI after having 1 beer which is 100% bs. If they are going to be like that they should stop serving beer at restaurants.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

dont hit the grandma

" I don't care what they do to get them off the road. Bring it on, tomorrow is not soon enough. "

cut off their mouths, ya thats it! if they looked at alcohol in the last 30 days off with there heads. this will solve all the worlds problems! but lets not stop at the alkeys, how about the moms looking over their shoulder at their kids, cell phone in hand, mickey ds coke in the other, trying to drive an oversized 4 wd suv thats never seen dirt with the no drilling sticker on the back. the teenager texting. the guy working 6 12 hour shifts a week driving home after a double. the heavily medicated grandma with the line of drool dripping down her chin. the trucker who fudged his log and is at 1200 miles. hell lets just get everybody off the road then there will be no accidents.

lets give all our freedoms to the government then we will all be safe and warm.

shite happens
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
White Marlin

Holy crap! Are you retarded?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Snapper

WW Wrote:

"it stops when the drunks are off the road."

Cute. They are a few days late. I think wine and the wheel were invented a few years back.

FO
Freedom Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshark View Post
Holy crap! Are you retarded?
hell yell and they gave me a drivers license
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in