WARNING!!!CRAIGLIST RIPOFF BUYING BOAT ELECTRONICS. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Grouper

Default WARNING!!!CRAIGLIST RIPOFF BUYING BOAT ELECTRONICS.

I attempted purchasing a gps/radar/fish finder unit over the net from an ad running on Craigslist. The "seller" seemed very knowlegeable regarding the unit and specifications, when I emitted interest to purchase I was ask to wire money via Western Union, which raised an alarm and I declined the transaction, did ask for a COD and the "seller" replied they got ripped off with a fake cashier check previously, then I was offered to put the money wire into my wife's name and send a copy as an attachement to prove my honnest intend to buy. So I went through the motion feeling confident they could not access the funds until I received the goods. After I sent the scanned receipt with my wife's name on it I never got any more replies or confirmation of receivership, concerned I phoned Western Union who told me the money had been given to my wife in Miami !!! ( she never left Pensacola). I guess I fell for the oldest trick in the book and feel like a dumb ass, apart from the money loss our concern is that this people have a fake idea with my wife's name on it !!! Did call the police to produce a report. I have bought quite a few items on ebay before and never had a problem and always tought this type of stories happend to other people until it happend to me. So please beware and be cautious. The email this people were using is [email protected].

IT SUCKS !!!!!
ARC 2017 Las Palmas to St Lucia, 45ft Lagoon.

The true peace of god begins at any point a 1000 miles from the nearest land. Joseph Conrad
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: WARNING!!!CRAIGLIST RIPOFF BUYING BOAT ELECTRONICS.

that sucks...how much ya lose?
crazyfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Grouper

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for the heads up!

GEAUX TIGERS! GEAUX SAINTS!
FishinFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Praedator
Grand Slam

Sorry to hear about that. Thanks for the heads up.

NEVER EVER deal with someone over the internet that wants money via Western Union. 99.99999% of the time, it's a scam.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Snapper

That sucks
Jig n Hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Snapper

I post for sale items on craigs list with no problem but I follow these guidlines

<SPAN style="BACKGROUND: #ff9; FONT-FAMILY: sans-serif">AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY -- IGNORE DISTANT BUYERS (SCAMMERS):
  1. <LI>Most cashier's check or money orders offered to craigslist sellers are COUNTERFEIT -- cashing them can lead to financial ruin <LI>Requests that you wire money abroad via Western Union or moneygram for any reason are SCAMS
    <LI>Learn more on our scams page -- avoid scammers by dealing locally with buyers you can meet in person! </LI>
Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Craig's List has become the scumbag of the internet. I will buy something local off there but no way would I buy anything long distance.

They will cancel a gun ad but have a huge listing for prostitutes. Go figure.

I read a couple of weeks ago where somebody got robbed when he answered an ad for a prostitute and her boyfriend busted in and robbed him.

Be very careful when dealing with Craig's List.

Sorry for your loss.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Sorry for your loss,I contacted the same people about a Garmin GPS. They replied that they were closing down a marine electronics business due to illness. I inquired about the garmin and they told me $800. The very best price I have found is $2175. so I immediatly answered back by E-mail that I wanted to come see it and buy it. They said they were in Miami, gave the same address I guess they gave you and told me to wire the money and they would send it 2 day UPS. I just deleted it all. Like the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, there must be something wrong!"
Gemdandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
Trigger

Anytime I ever make a large, long distance purchase with an individual, I use an escrow service. It costs a little, but very affordable for the security it brings. I've used escrow.com and it works very well.
SCUBA Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Sailfish

You don't need an ID to pick up a wester union!!! All you need is a name and a password. Only a password if it is resuested by the sender. That is how they rip you off cause you never know who they really are when you send money. You could send it to Bob Smith and the guys name is realy John Jones and all he has to do is walk into ANY (including overseas) Western Union and say, " I am Bob Smith I am expecting a transfer for $800." They say, "Yup its here, sign here and have a nice day." It allows criminals to scam people with nothing to trace back to. Sucks. Sorry for your loss. Expensive lesson. You should have the place he picked it up investigated. It may be a friend of his. If he picks up at the same one all the time you may want to research the place a little. May not be worth your effort tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in