Used Vehicle Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Used Vehicle Question

I'm a fan of the used vehicle purchase... but I have a question on how a car is classified regarding the model year. If a vehicle is manufactured in the 8th month of the year, lets say 8/10... should it be listed/advertised as a 2011 model or a 2010 model. Not a big deal but seems this could effect the market price by a couple grand and potentially result in duping the average buyer. Is it a 2010 or 2011 vehicle? Thanks.
Mike aka FishWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Wicked Awesome
Sailfish

Deffinitely a 2011. Generally, anythin dated, say 07/10-06/11 would be classified as a 2011 model. Some it couold be 06/10-05/11 as a 2011 model. Just depends on how early they start production and sales. They have been selling 2013 model vehicles for the past couple months. But the answer to your question is 2011.
OTTE*DA*WORM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
White Marlin

I agree, that would be a 2011. But the best way to do it is to go by the registration or title.... You can also check the vin number, the 10th digit is normally the year, at least it is on motorcycles so I am pretty sure it would be the same on cars....

I have to verify model year on alot of ATV's and motorcycles,and I always use the 10th digit of the VIN number
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Mingo

I ran across that when my wife and I were buying a new car. She didn't want a 2011 that was built in 2010, because she thought it might affect the resale price. So we waited until we found one dated in January of 2011. I didn't think it would affect it that much, but it was her car, soooo you know how that goes.
SignWaves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
Blue Marlin

I don't see it being an issue with trade in value and have never worried about it..
MULLET HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Grouper

Pretty sure the buying and selling always has gone by MY(Model Year) not production year. I have a MY2010 Ford that was built 06-2010 and it's resale value is just the same as a MY2010 built in 2009.

Same for the 2009 Harley, MY2009, built early 2009, same resale as a built in 2008 MY2009.

Only things I've seen changed between production times is things listed under TSB's and recalls for early production year bugs that were worked out. Then most times there are ECM/PCM tunes/programs that are revised through the production of the model year. Small things though that really don't affect resale value.

Last edited by slackwolf; 10-08-2012 at 05:26 PM.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Sailfish

Appreciate the info.
Mike aka FishWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Topwater Bluefish fan
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTE*DA*WORM View Post
Deffinitely a 2011. Generally, anythin dated, say 07/10-06/11 would be classified as a 2011 model. Some it couold be 06/10-05/11 as a 2011 model. Just depends on how early they start production and sales. They have been selling 2013 model vehicles for the past couple months. But the answer to your question is 2011.
It's always been my experience that the new model year begins between Sept to Oct . Though Ford has come out with 1/2 models such as the '63 1/2 Futura Sprint and the '64 1/2 Mustang .

here's a quote from Wiki - In the United States, automobile model year sales traditionally begin with the fourth quarter of the preceding year. So model year refers to the "sales" model year; for example, vehicles sold during the period from October 1 to December 30 of the following year are considered one model year.
Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in