Uscg! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Uscg!

Today I had a meeting with my recruiter for the United States Coast Guard. I am scheduled to take the ASVAB on the 24th of this month, then not much longer then that depending on my ASVAB scores I will be going to Montgomery for my first round of MEP's to get cleared. Then in September I will be signing in to the DEP with the intention of leaving for boot camp in July of 2012 then going on to Boatswain's mates A school after that. I guess bascially what I'm getting at is, Id love to hear yalls stories of boot camp, MEP's and going through the process of serving our country. Kinda want to see the diffrences between back in the day and now as far as joining and what not. Would love to hear yalls stories. Thanks.

- Jack
Sunshine17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Sailfish

I wish you the best in your efforts to join the USCG!!!

Don't miss the oppurtunity as I did... I fully intended to join and it would have been with intent to retire.

I decided to wait a few years to sow my wild oats and party... Before I got around to joining, they reduced the maximum age due to having plenty of recruits at the time. I regret my decision every time I see those blue and red bow stripes!

Brent
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Whats the max age now? Congrats you made a good decision young man, it will turn you from boy to man quick and you will make something out of yourself besides all you buddies that stay and hang out and such.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Sailfish

Congrats. Good luck!! Find a way to get to the National Motor Lifeboat School in Illawco, Wa, the most fun I had in my 23 years!!
Boot camp now is a bit different than it was in 1972....lol
Bill Driscoll BMC USCG (ret)

Last edited by dockmaster; 05-05-2011 at 12:53 PM.
dockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
National Motor Lifeboat School
Those would be what this layman calls "KNOCK DOWN BOATS" and I can see where it would be a freakin' BLAST!!! I had decided I would definately try to go to that school just for the fun... heck with the experience.

I was a daily "hang around" at the Harbor Beach Mi. station for 2 summers and a winter back around 79-80.

When I was 18 the max age was 27... I was 23-24 when they dropped the age to 22 or 23 which ever I cannot remember zackly as that was MANY years and Beers ago.

Then when I turned like 26-27 they upped the age to one year younger than I was! Like I said... My regrets run real deep for missing the opportunity!

Brent
Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
AAR
Snapper

Default I was in the Army, not the USCG, but MEP is the same...

At least it used to be that all branches of service went through Montgomery MEP Station together. I remember my buddy dropped me off at the recruiting station in Dothan and we eyed a young girl standing next to the van that was going to take me to MEP. She was headed up to join the Marines! Believe it or not, she was very attractive. I just remember she was wearing black shoes and socks and I thought, that looks like the kind of girl that might just let me score on my last opportunity before boot camp. Funny what runs through your mind when you're young, dumb and full of ..nonsense.

Sure enough, I snuck into the female hall and got into her room for the night. Her roommate was a black girl that I knew from High School and we kept her up all night I'm sure!

I've got a bunch of stories about Basic Training and living in the field but I was very lucky to have served in peacetime. I never even had to leave the country, but we did cross the border into Mexico for some covert R&R action!

Well, enough of this old man reliving his youth.. Military Service is a GREAT thing! I wish I had listened to my Granddad who told me to join the Navy (because you always would sleep on a bed and eat off a table). Of course, I wanted to be just like him (WWII vet), so I signed with the paratroopers and ended up sleeping in the rain a lot and eating a bunch of muddy MREs. Still, I earned some GI Bill and got a college degree out of it. Not to mention, I love to tell people I served our country.

I congratulate you and wish you all the best. It's a great thing you're doing.

All the way! Airborne!!!!
AAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Grouper

Thank you all for your stories. It is amazing to see how many people on the forum served our country. Puts a smile on my face and makes me wanna go even sooner. I thank you guys for all of your wishes and bidding me good luck. And what do you exaclty do in NMLS?
Sunshine17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
CCC
Grand Slam

I heard they were not accepting people at this time has that changed ?????
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
twiceRetired Serve No One
Blue Marlin

For 17 YO you amaze me when i judge you by my preconceived idea of any Teen I pass each day.
I am clearly getting old.
you are making a very positive move in your life and as it equates to my life , I couldn't have made a better choice at age 17 also.
I am unashamedly a street kid from Pensacola but became a USMC Sgt at age 20 and a new person in a new world.

Enjoy the adventure and thanks for serving.

HisName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
old fart
Trigger

when i was in navy and went to a school the coast guard boys got a stripe if they gradurated, the navy did not
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in