UM suspensions handed down.... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default UM suspensions handed down....

I'm going to highlight the thing that is going to kill Miami.

I will give a quick overview.

Suspended:

4 starting DL suspended including a first round pick next year

1 LB and our best at that

Our starting saftey

Our starting QB

Our best WR and kick return guy

Our slot reciever was kicked off the team.

Not that bad.......... Time to get donkey punched by Maryland

NCAA News Release

Eight Miami Football Student-Athletes Must Sit Out Games and Repay Benefits

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Contact(s)
Stacey Osburn
Associate Director of Public and Media Relations
317/917-6117

INDIANAPOLIS---Eight University of Miami football student-athletes must miss competition and repay benefits as a condition of becoming eligible to play again, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The student-athletes received varying levels of recruiting inducements and extra benefits from university booster Nevin Shapiro and athletics personnel, according to the facts of the case.
Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process and typically are made once the facts of the student-athlete’s involvement are determined. This is typically well in advance of infractions decisions. The enforcement investigation into the University of Miami is ongoing.
Of the eight football student-athletes, three received substantial benefits as prospective student-athletes from Shapiro and athletics personnel to entice them to enroll at the university, which are considered some of the most serious recruiting violations within the NCAA.
Olivier Vernon, who received more than $1,200 in benefits primarily from Shapiro, must miss six games and make repayment of the value of the benefits. These recruitment benefits included meals, transportation, access to Shapiro’s game suite, drinks, as well as cover charges at two different nightclubs, among others. He's good big deal!!!!
Two other student-athletes, Aravious Armstrong and Dyron Dye, will miss four games and must make repayment. Armstrong received approximately $788 in extra benefits from Shapiro and athletics personnel during his recruitment. Dye received approximately $738. These student-athletes’ benefits included five nights of impermissible lodging from institutional staff during their unofficial visits, transportation, multiple meals, and entertainment at a gentleman’s club. Ray Ray hurts a bit
Different than the first three student-athletes, five other student-athletes received impermissible benefits while currently enrolled at the university.
These five student-athletes – Marcus Forston (first round pick next year), Sean Ryan Spence (First to second round pick next year, Adewale Ojomo (His name is very black), Travis Benjamin (One of the fastest kids in the NCAA) and Jacory Harris (SUCKS!!!) – must miss one game and make repayment. Forston received more than $400 in extra benefits from Shapiro and athletic personnel, including athletic equipment, meals, nightclub cover charges and entertainment at a gentleman’s club. Spence received approximately $275 in benefits, including meals, transportation, as well as cover charges and entertainment at a gentleman’s club. Ojomo received $240 in extra benefits, including a meal and nightclub cover charges. Benjamin received more than $150 in extra benefits, including meals and entertainment. Harris received more than $140 in benefits from meals, entertainment, transportation and nightclub cover charges.
During the student-athlete reinstatement process, the staff considers a number of factors including guidelines established by the Division I NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for the type of violations and value of benefits, if a significant competitive advantage was gained, the student-athlete’s responsibility for the violations and any mitigating circumstances presented by the school, among other factors.
“From regular reviews of our rules to the presidential retreat earlier this month, our members have continually stressed that involvement of third parties during recruitment will not be tolerated, and there must be accountability for inappropriate behavior,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs.
When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete’s eligibility be reinstated. The NCAA staff reviews each student-athlete’s reinstatement request individually based on its own merits and set of specific facts, which are agreed upon by the university and the NCAA enforcement staff. The University of Miami has not submitted any additional reinstatement requests at this time.
"The NCAA has informed the University of Miami of their decisions regarding the reinstatement of eight student-athletes who were declared ineligible by the University last week,” said University of Miami Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst. “The student-athletes involved have acknowledged receiving improper benefits and will now be responsible for restitution and, in some cases, the student-athletes will also serve game suspensions. They understand that their actions demand consequences.
"This university has the highest standards in all of our academic and athletic endeavors. We will remain steadfast in our commitment to continue to build winning programs with the utmost of integrity. We will be more vigilant in our compliance and continue to work with the NCAA on the joint investigation to determine the facts.
"We appreciate the diligence and understanding of the NCAA staff and its handling of the student-athlete eligibility issues in an expeditious manner. I would also like to thank Coach Golden and his staff for their professionalism and leadership over the past few weeks."
The reinstatement process typically concludes prior to the close of the enforcement investigation, which must determine the university’s responsibility for violations. While it depends on the complexity of the case, most student-athlete reinstatement requests are resolved in about a week after the school has provided a complete request and the reinstatement staff has all the necessary information. In contrast an enforcement investigation, which also varies in length depending on the complexity, must look at the totality of issues and takes an average of 11 months. For this reason, student-athlete reinstatement decisions do not signal that an enforcement investigation is complete.
The university can appeal any student-athlete reinstatement decision to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, an independent panel comprised of representatives from NCAA member colleges, university and athletic conferences who are not directly affiliated with the university. This committee can reduce or remove the condition, but it cannot increase the staff-imposed conditions. If appealed, the student-athlete remains ineligible until the conclusion of the appeals process.
Read more about the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement process at ncaa.org.
This is not in the article but our starting slot reciever A. Johnson was kicked off the team today. We are deep at WR though.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

The hard part is yet to come. When they sanction the "U"niversity. Beaucoup games forfeited, beaucoup scholarships lost, NO bowl games for X years...

That won't happen for a year or so, but it will HURT for years to come.

This is bad for college football, unless it somehow leads to big changes to current rules.

I feel for you man...

Jim

STILL planning a trip to Miami next year though.
jim t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
White Marlin

Miami has been the cause of every other rule change in college football. Why stop now? They flat out used the word "fact" and "athletics personnel" in the same line. Miami is SO F'd!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Sailfish

Although the players should know by now that it is wrong to accept ANY kind of gifts, I think that the NCAA should pay all the players minimum wage for 25 hours a week. After all, the NCAA makes enough money. I also think that there should be repercussions for ANYONE who gives the players gifts/money like jail time. It should be a federal offense for an agent to have contact with a player before they are eligible. Make it a 5 or 10 year suspension for the agents from any contact if they are caught. A lot of the players could really use the money and they wouldn't be "tempted". Hell, maybe the schools should go after these individuals and sue them for possible money lost because of sanctions placed on the school.
kahala boy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
White Marlin

oh well, guess i'll have to wait a few more years if even then...this really sucks!
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahala boy View Post
Although the players should know by now that it is wrong to accept ANY kind of gifts, I think that the NCAA should pay all the players minimum wage for 25 hours a week. After all, the NCAA makes enough money. I also think that there should be repercussions for ANYONE who gives the players gifts/money like jail time. It should be a federal offense for an agent to have contact with a player before they are eligible. Make it a 5 or 10 year suspension for the agents from any contact if they are caught. A lot of the players could really use the money and they wouldn't be "tempted". Hell, maybe the schools should go after these individuals and sue them for possible money lost because of sanctions placed on the school.
Well said the NCAA makes a lot of money off these guys and I think they should be compensated but the right way and not from some sleaze bag
fishn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Bull, I feel your pain, truth be known if the NCAA put all the college programs under the scrutiny microscope, very few if any would be left standing. Until they make it illegal under penalty for the Scouts who dangle money in these players faces. They will not stop this mess. I personally think the Universities should have to keep an escrow account for the players because they make millions and millions off of these players.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Could get REAL ugly.

Former players might need to testify about ill gotten gains or face contempt charges in a separate bankruptcy court for those who got screwed in the Ponzi scheme.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/3...d-players.html

Jim
jim t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

hey if you think miami is the only one doing this your crazy we just get caught more than other cause when our boosters get butt hurt there not getting the attention they think they deserve then its rat city i think the rats neet to be shot lol
tugfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
White Marlin

That would not make it any worse. The thing that will kill them is some ex coaches drove players to his house. Stoutland who is now the O-line coach at Bama is all but convicted of it. Don't you think it's suspect that the other football coach who was named as being the bag boy got Louisville a top 5 class last year consisting of UM decommitts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in