Trouble with the fridge. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Junior Member
Cigar Minnow
 
Fish On's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cantonment, Fla.
Posts: 23
Default Trouble with the fridge.

Got up Sunday morning with water on the floor. Pulled out fridge from wall to find the compressor not running. Went Monday morning to Marconies appliance on Pace for parts. Wanted to replace Capacitor and Overload. They say they had to order the parts and would take a week for them to come in. Cost would be around $60.00. While there there was a guy standing there, He asked the lady if she had a generic part that would work? She said she had one but would not sell it to me, because I was not a trained tec. Could do more harm to the compressor if not connected right. Went to a friend that lives in Perdido who is a tec.
Got the generic part from him. He spent 3 minutes explaining how to connect. Went home with the part and within 5 minutes I had it working.
Cost me $30.00.
Why wouldn't the lady at Marconies sell to the public. I'm not a A/C tec but I,m Not a dummy either. Thanks for good friends.
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
fishn4real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ozark, Missouri - 6 miles from Bass Pro Shops' world headquarters; and the entire gulf coast area.
Posts: 2,228
Default

It's called liability. Marcone is in the business of selling replacement parts, primarily to trained professionals. If she sold a "generic" part to someone whom she knew was not a trained technician and the purchaser installed the part incorrectly and damaged the appliance, or worse - injured himself; then, Marcone would be liable to that purchaser for whatever damages and injuries were sustained.

Not selling to you is not a reflection that you are a "dummy", just covering their backsides. And smart for them to do so!

Glad you got it going.
fishn4real is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam
 
Splittine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 30' Up, Looking Down
Posts: 19,453
Default

No offense to you but A/C and Refrigeration parts houses selling to the public kills work for service business. I know of a supply house that not only sells units out the back door but installs them for residential customers and its complete crap, they are not licensed or insured. Not many years ago you couldnt buy anything from a supplier except filters, thats how it needs to be.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittine View Post
No offense to you but A/C and Refrigeration parts houses selling to the public kills work for service business. I know of a supply house that not only sells units out the back door but installs them for residential customers and its complete crap, they are not licensed or insured. Not many years ago you couldnt buy anything from a supplier except filters, thats how it needs to be.
If a man can fix his own stuff, why on earth should he be prevented from doing so?

If he screws it up worse, then he can call you and you get more for it..

But MAKING them call someone?
Sailing_Faith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam
 
Splittine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 30' Up, Looking Down
Posts: 19,453
Default

Because alot of the stuff they are selling to home owners they have to be certified for. Homeowners are not, its against the law. And FYI I dont do service work for a company in either residential or commercial and probably never will again but its still the princible. I work for a company and only do in house work. Now Im not talking about a homeowner buying a fan motor or something, Im referring to units and such, but it all comes down to the same situation when homeowners complain because they cant buy a unit from a wholesaler.

Last edited by Splittine; 05-17-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittine View Post
Because alot of the stuff they are selling to home owners they have to be certified for. Homeowners are not, its against the law. And FYI I dont do service work for a company in either residential or commercial and probably never will again but its still the princible. I work for a company and only do in house work. Now Im not talking about a homeowner buying a fan motor or something, Im referring to units and such, but it all comes down to the same situation when homeowners complain because they cant buy a unit from a wholesaler.
Thanks for the reply, yes I agree that it is pretty much pointless to sell something that would require cracking the system open...

.. your earlier post said;

Quote:
....Not many years ago you couldnt buy anything from a supplier except filters, thats how it needs to be....
which is what I was objecting to.

Sailing_Faith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam
 
Splittine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 30' Up, Looking Down
Posts: 19,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes I agree that it is pretty much pointless to sell something that would require cracking the system open...

.. your earlier post said;



which is what I was objecting to.

I know where you were coming from. I didnt word my post very well.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.