tar balls washing up on Perdido Key Beach - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default tar balls washing up on Perdido Key Beach

Is there a lot of tar washing up on the beach at Perdido Key? I was looking on a webcam in Gulf Shores and I thought I saw workers picking up tar washing up? Would you say it is safe to swim in the waters now?
sdm65742 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Grouper

I was down at Alabama Point/perdido pass on saturday and I saw probabpy 25 tar balls washed up inside the pass under the bridge.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm65742 View Post
Would you say it is safe to swim in the waters now?
Give me a break, even if you come in touch with any tarball (most are the size of quarters), it's not going to kill you. Little cold to be swimming right now anyway, don't you think? Get used to it; it's been showing up since June and it probably won't stop for awhile. They run the tractors in front of my house every night disking it under where the waves break. Been swimmin in it since summer; I'm still kickin.
Attached Thumbnails
tar balls washing up on Perdido Key Beach-sky-falling-net-jpg  

Last edited by Captain Woody Woods; 03-01-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Sailfish

It's as safe as it ever was.
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Woody Woods View Post
Give me a break, even if you come in touch with any tarball (most are the size of quarters), it's not going to kill you. Little cold to be swimming right now anyway, don't you think? Get used to it; it's been showing up since June and it probably won't stop for awhile. They run the tractors in front of my house every night disking it under where the waves break. Been swimmin in it since summer; I'm still kickin.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, that was not my attention. We visit the gulf twice a year every spring break and every August, except last August we did not because of the oil and we absolutely missed it. It was a honest question, not anything to start any ill feelings. Yes, it is too cold to swim during spring break but I have two kids that cannot keep out of the waves while there, I on the other hand prefer the heated pool. I guess maybe I just got scared from watching all kinds of youtube videos on people getting sick last summer and kids having medical problems from visiting. We spend our hard earned money visiting and it would be heartbreaking to sit on our condo balcony and see big equipment digging up the beach in front of our condo or have the beach full of tar balls, that is all. And, I hope you do get a break, cause the oil spill breaks my heart for all the people of the gulf coast, I just couldn't imagine. Once again, sorry if I offended you.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evensplit View Post
It's as safe as it ever was.
Thank you! Now that's what I wanted to hear.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

With all the news media, it is a fair question to ask locals. I bet there are a lot more folks north of us wondering the same thing.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm65742 View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, that was not my attention. We visit the gulf twice a year every spring break and every August, except last August we did not because of the oil and we absolutely missed it. It was a honest question, not anything to start any ill feelings. Yes, it is too cold to swim during spring break but I have two kids that cannot keep out of the waves while there, I on the other hand prefer the heated pool. I guess maybe I just got scared from watching all kinds of youtube videos on people getting sick last summer and kids having medical problems from visiting. We spend our hard earned money visiting and it would be heartbreaking to sit on our condo balcony and see big equipment digging up the beach in front of our condo or have the beach full of tar balls, that is all. And, I hope you do get a break, cause the oil spill breaks my heart for all the people of the gulf coast, I just couldn't imagine. Once again, sorry if I offended you.
The further East you go the better it is most likely going to be. I was on the Beach a week ago yesterday near Destin and not a single Tar Ball was seen by any of the group of 10 or so of us that were there. Lots of kids were in the water and Surf Boarders were there too. The beaches in Destin and Okaloosa Island were packed with people over the weekend and I didn't hear of any reports of tar balls but again we our quite a bit East of Perdido. Maybe this year instead of Perdido you give Destin or SanDestin a try and go back to Perdido next year if you're worried about it. http://www.vacationrentals.com is a good place to find pretty affordable rentals in Destin. I'm not saying Destin is better than Perdido, just saying this year you might have better luck avoiding any oil going further East. Good luck!
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Mingo

I was on Perdido Key at Johnsons Beach this Saturday and saw the workers and their equipment from a distance. I walked about 1-1/2 miles down the beach and did not actually encounter any workers or any tarballs either. I did a little surf fishing and even searched the sand with my sand flea rake and although I was looking for sand fleas I did not come across even 1 tar ball. The beach was beautiful, the water was cold and tarballs were not found.
Bluesbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Trigger

Plus 1 on the tarballs over in Desting Viking......none seen and CI looks clean as it does this time of year. BTW, if you find any Guidelines around this area, share the local. My large cranium needs to try them on before I order! Thx!
ammolance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in