Taking my blood pressure, why the varied results? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree7Likes

Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

Default Taking my blood pressure, why the varied results?

Doc diagnosed that I had moderately elevated blood pressure about 3 years ago. (he's the only one that thinks I have elevated pressure, always fine when nurse checks it) Medicine was prescribed, had problems with first, then changed meds to some that didn't cause the bad side effects. (dry cough).

I bought a modestly priced pressure checker, have noticed varied results when I was taking my meds, or not taking them. Didn't seem to be any reason for the variation.

This morning, I played around with the machine, moving the cuff around a few degrees on my arm. Results; 131/79, 146/75, 130/75, and 128/72 (okay range). These were taken within a couple of minutes.
Time for a new machine, or is this a normal problem?
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Trigger

I'm no medical expert by any means, but my wife was having BP issues a while back and she had a cuff from Walgreen's. She was told by a nurse to wait a few minutes between each test because repeatedly checking the BP would cause weird readings.
Cobiacatcher and MaxxT like this.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Grouper

You could check it 100 times in a row and each one would be different by a few points.

Check it once a day in the morning when you wake up, if your supposed to be monitoring it. Really you only need to check it a couple times a week.

DO NOT USE A WRIST CUFF, even if it's brand new and cost 100$ throw it away LOL. Also, if your using an older machine, they need to be re-calibrated ever so often.

But your BP looks good there, I wouldn't fuss about that. Plus you stated that you moved the cuff around a few degrees, that will give you different results too.
Cobiacatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

Same here. Took a few changes of medicine to get one that didn't screw something else up. I bought a bp machine from my drug store, and the pharmacist told me the pressure will change every time I take it. I figure bp is like the stock market..., don't get too concerned about it on a daily basis. Download a phone app called Smart BP and enter your results. Over a few weeks, you'll have a good record of your average bp.

Your bp doesn't look so bad, and I've been told that a wide range between the top and bottom numbers is good, and yours is.

Off topic, I think everybody should have a local pharmacist they can get to know that will take the time to explain the meds, the possible side effects, and what to expect from the treatment. I get more good information from mine than the doctor most times.
Yellow River Cat likes this.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
Sailfish

Difference between the nurse saying it`s ok and the doc telling you you need to be on meds is - doc gets kickbacks from the meds he prescribes.
Just went thru a heart monitor and check up. All looked good but doc still told me I need to be on drugs. WHY? I now know the answer.
I`m now looking at all natural vitamins.
catfever24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-r-cy View Post
Doc diagnosed that I had moderately elevated blood pressure about 3 years ago. (he's the only one that thinks I have elevated pressure, always fine when nurse checks it) Medicine was prescribed, had problems with first, then changed meds to some that didn't cause the bad side effects. (dry cough).

I bought a modestly priced pressure checker, have noticed varied results when I was taking my meds, or not taking them. Didn't seem to be any reason for the variation.

This morning, I played around with the machine, moving the cuff around a few degrees on my arm. Results; 131/79, 146/75, 130/75, and 128/72 (okay range). These were taken within a couple of minutes.
Time for a new machine, or is this a normal problem?
That's pretty normal. You need to be careful about moving, don't cross your legs, and ideal is to have the bloodpressure cuff at heart level.
perdidochas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfever24 View Post
Difference between the nurse saying it`s ok and the doc telling you you need to be on meds is - doc gets kickbacks from the meds he prescribes.
Just went thru a heart monitor and check up. All looked good but doc still told me I need to be on drugs. WHY? I now know the answer.
I`m now looking at all natural vitamins.
The doc does not get a kickback on most of the common bp meds. Publix sells me my bp medicine for almost nothing. It's cheaper when I don't use insurance for it.
perdidochas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

Doc might not get kickback, but they want you to come back every 90 days to keep check on your health. ($$$ per visit) Needless to say, I've since changed Doc's. He re-upped my prescription for 1 year, said come back only if I need him. I like my new Doc.
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #9
Sailfish

Blood pressure is never the exact same all the time. I don't have a blood pressure problem but my wife has non-systematic afib or atrial fibrillation and we purchased a blood pressure machine that seems to work quite well - at least it's close to what our readings are at the Dr's office. It's an Omron 5-series and simple to operate. I can take my blood pressure a number of times per day and it's hardly ever the exact same.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
Grouper

Also FYI if you check it in the morning wait say a couple of hours after your last cup of coffee. Coffee will elevate your BP like meds.
kiefersdad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in