Stay away from Pepboys - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree7Likes

Old 12-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Stay away from Pepboys

..and don't let your girls go there either

I dropped off my truck last night to have tires mounted/balanced and to have a complete front end alignment done. Total was going to be $250 (5year warrant of front end).

I recently replaced almost all my front end, new control arms, ball joints, all tie rods, etc.

They called this morning to tell me they could even do the alignment because the front end was really, "loose" and would be an EXTRA $600. I thought, hmm...ok well make me a list if what's wrong and I'll take care if it. They called back with a list...ready for it?

1) a cotter pin under 1 ball joint was missing

2) the tie rod castle nuts were loose

3) and a sway bar link was "installed incorrectly". I'm assuming I got one of the bushing upside down...it was late at night.

They wanted $600 for all this, and wouldn't even do the alignment. If you don't know about this, we are talking about 15min of work...literally just putting a wrench on 4 nuts (easy access) and tightening them. They wanted $600 for it.

I called tire oro next door and explained it to them
..they laughed and said they'd do the alignment and " fix" the loose ends for free.

I'm really annoyed they are so greedy, and annoyed they made me waste a day having to wait on my truck.
oldflathead likes this.
holicori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Sailfish

Pepboys on highway 90 in pace
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Dang man, that surprises me. The Pace store has always treated me well.
I take everything to them.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
eating tasty
White Marlin

Sounds like a total rip off! How many hours of labor did they figure? Also, don't tie rods have a cotter pin on the castle nut as well? No way they could get too loose. Glad you didn't just up and pay them like a lot of folks would.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Sailfish

The pace store techs have been cool. Let me use their tools when needed and stuff. I've had them do work once in awhile too. But this is a total flat out rip off trying to steal from people.

They're pretty stupid too, because I told them I did all the work myself...so I knew what I was talking about.

I'll pick up my truck today and pay them for the tires. And then explain to them how they not only lostoney on the alignment, but also all the potential business they have lost.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by holicori View Post
..and don't let your girls go there either

I dropped off my truck last night to have tires mounted/balanced and to have a complete front end alignment done. Total was going to be $250 (5year warrant of front end).

I recently replaced almost all my front end, new control arms, ball joints, all tie rods, etc.

They called this morning to tell me they could even do the alignment because the front end was really, "loose" and would be an EXTRA $600. I thought, hmm...ok well make me a list if what's wrong and I'll take care if it. They called back with a list...ready for it?

1) a cotter pin under 1 ball joint was missing

2) the tie rod castle nuts were loose

3) and a sway bar link was "installed incorrectly". I'm assuming I got one of the bushing upside down...it was late at night.

They wanted $600 for all this, and wouldn't even do the alignment. If you don't know about this, we are talking about 15min of work...literally just putting a wrench on 4 nuts (easy access) and tightening them. They wanted $600 for it.

I called tire oro next door and explained it to them
..they laughed and said they'd do the alignment and " fix" the loose ends for free.

I'm really annoyed they are so greedy, and annoyed they made me waste a day having to wait on my truck.
A Shop fixing another shops mistakes for FREE is awesome!
Flounderpounder and holicori like this.
davdoc0011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Sailfish

After using them in FWB several times, buying tires there and them knowing me, I was treated the same way. Wanted to charge for work unneeded, double the price for the work needed and mad up problem I did not have...Not ever again! Since they were bought out by PB there has been this going on, they are guided by corporate to find things. A Friend of mine, a manager for years at Discount Tires or whatever it was before, stayed w PB for 2 years and left. Crooked practices was his reason.
MaxxT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Grouper

Default Cervantes

They replaced an alternator for me and charged nearly $500.00. Told them that was a total rip off they tried to justify it saying they carry a life time warranty. Two days later truck won't start. Take it auto save on pace blvd find out they had pinched a wiring harness when they tightened down the alternator and shorted out the starter cost me a starter and a labor but was still cheaper than the alternator. Will never use pep boys again.
FLWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
Trigger

that sux. I use Paul Handy at Vannoys on 9 mile. They have been taking care of me and my family for years. Always first rate operation.
grouper1963 likes this.
orbiting headquarters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Sailfish

Post a review on Google Maps....I always do
grouper1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in