Security cameras - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree11Likes

Old 05-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Security cameras

Our neighborhood keeps getting their cars hit.

We're looking at installing surveillance cameras. Normally not a big deal, but makes it a bit harder when you have to figure out a way to get power and internet to the camera without a good source.

How to people install neighborhood cameras for watching the street/entrance?

Any ideas? I know I could use a solar panel for power, but what about internet?

And please, for the love of God, we don't need lectures on locking doors. I'll go ahead and say it before the entire gang lines up to say it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
holicori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Sailfish

Called one company and they wanted $2,000 a year to set up and manage stand alone cameras.....not bad, til they said the $2,000/year was per camera. Lol

I laughed and hung up

Boat-Dude likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Sailfish

I use the Ring system at my house. Works off of wireless and I bought the solar chargers for both camera's. I get notifications of movement if my dog so much as sneezes in the back yard.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
I use the Ring system at my house. Works off of wireless and I bought the solar chargers for both camera's. I get notifications of movement if my dog so much as sneezes in the back yard.
Don't think ring system is viable.

Several of our neighbors have them and nothing went off.

Our houses have a front door that's recessed, so the ring will only see a very narrow portion of the road, and won't cover much of their own driveway.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Trigger

Here are a couple that work on cellular and run on lithium batteries. I just bought a Reolink Go to test it out and use up at the camp.

https://reolink.com/product/reolink-go/

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/...o/default.aspx
holicori likes this.
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Grouper

Arlo are good for moving around areas that you typically can't run a poe camera to. Trees, poles, etc and being able to keep moving and adjusting angles to catch what you need.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
Sailfish

I have the ARLO cameras and they do great. 100% wireless and great quality.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

So it all depends on what you want. You can get stand alone cameras, like deer cameras, that don't need connection to the internet to work. Some cameras, have a small SD card that will record even if not connected to the internet as well. I can't remember if the Arlo has this option or not.

So if you don't need internet you can get a simple deer camera type system or if you do there are several different internet based ones out there. I have the Arlo system as well for the sheer fact that it's completely wireless and you can put it anywhere. It also has a 7 day icloud storage that is free.

So look at the area you want covered and see what options you want/need and then go from there.
Trevfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevfishin View Post
So it all depends on what you want. You can get stand alone cameras, like deer cameras, that don't need connection to the internet to work. Some cameras, have a small SD card that will record even if not connected to the internet as well. I can't remember if the Arlo has this option or not.

So if you don't need internet you can get a simple deer camera type system or if you do there are several different internet based ones out there. I have the Arlo system as well for the sheer fact that it's completely wireless and you can put it anywhere. It also has a 7 day icloud storage that is free.

So look at the area you want covered and see what options you want/need and then go from there.
Would like something completely stand alone, that will automatically upload about a 3-7 days continuous loop of video. Would prefer continuous video...not just motion activated.

Will be calling arlo

Old 05-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Arlo doesn't do continuous loop, it's based on motion only and only records for a certain period of time. You do have options you can set, but I know it doesn't do continuous loop.

You can adjust the sensitivity on it, but then again have mine maxed out and it picks up the street from the front porch which is about 40ft away.
Trevfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in