Sand Blaster - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

Default Sand Blaster

Anyone got a portable sand blaster I can borrow or maybe buy? I bought a old piece of farm equipment this weekend and need one to clean up the rust a little to referbish it. This would have to be a hand held one, not the cabinet style. I saw a couple of cheap ones at harbour freight but thought I'd ask here first. I'll buy the media I use from you or just buy my own. I have a compressor if it takes one.
Thanks
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default sand blaster

how big a piece are you wanting to sand blast? you may be better off going to the guy on dogtrack rd. he does good work and is the most reasonable i have used. cobern machining and sand blasting
CHUMM BUCKET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

It's a old Covington planter and cultivator. Just want to clean it up a little and repaint it. Mostly the planter and parts. Not as worried about the cultivator piece as much. It's in good condition for it's age just needs a little cleaning up and a few new bolts, nuts, and small part or two. Then some paint and she will be ready to hunt. Kind of need to get started pretty quick. Will need to plant my corn between sometime in june for deer season. That's not far off. I'll either borrow one or buy one before paying someone. I wouldn't mind having one anyways even if I have to buy one. There's been several times I would have like to have had one anyways. Thanks for the info though.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Sailfish

Default blaster

well if you gotta have one harbor freight has one for under $100.00. I used one from there last summer for a while sandblasting some handrail i built for a friend. IT SUCKED! That sand gets everywhere. Another thing to keep in mind is what ever eye protection you wear isn`t going to last long because the sandetches it pretty quick. I wore one of my welding helmets without the glass in it. I kept a a few of the clear plastic lenses near by. One last thing. If you are doing this outside the sand will get all over everything. When it gets on your cars and your neighbors cars don`t just grab a brush and wash it off or you will scratch the heck out of it. Rinse it good first. Have fun and you better get started before it warms up.
CHUMM BUCKET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin

10-4. Thanks for the advice. I will be doing it out by the barn. No neighbors for 100yds+. Ive been around one before so I know the substantial mess they can make!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Sailfish

I had one of these little gems... I did small jobs with it but did do a whole riding garden tractor before shooting it Cat yeller and brown...

It is not bad on sand and was reliable but obviously slower than a large unit.

I think it held 2-5 pounds of sand.

Real nice for tight fine work.

Brent
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Check the CFM requirements of the blaster you end up with.
Many of them require more volume at a certain pressure than the average hobbyist compressor.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in