relocating batteries (boat) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default relocating batteries (boat)

i have a 92 21' cape horn i want to relocate the batteries under the console they are a bitch to get to under the live well. i have never done this before what kind of materials etc. is required to do it yourself, or if some one wants to do it what kind of price am i looking to get this done i wanna do it as least expensive as possible but not use something that i will have to replace in a year or two. it is a two battery set up
floater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Grouper

Main thing to consider to make sure cable splices are very good and sealed as much as possible. I like the vulcanizing tape you apply heat to make it seal better. I currently have a repair in my motor harness due to a broke wire.
pappastratos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
PDC Fishing Team
Sailfish

You may need a 2nd mortgage for the wire. Make sure you use the correct gauge.

Also, search this forum for battery connections. I think I remember X-Shark???? posting a good read about soldering/crimping the connections.

"....during the public comment period that followed, comments were overwhelmingly opposed to the proposal. As a result, NOAA fisheries reopened the public comment period for and additional 15 days, but there was no change to the results. The regional administrator of NOAA Fisheries announced that the recreational greater amberjack season will close for June and July as scheduled..."
swhiting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Sailfish

I did it and am happy with it you can get the wire at a good price at the stereo place across from the T&W flee market

http://www.bayoujoes.com/

Team Hoo's ur Savior Hillcrest Baptist Church
inshorecatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Smart but Stupid
Trigger

Had the same problem except it was under my rear fishbox which imo was a bad design because of water being able to get onto the batteries, So I relocated them to my console as well as the two switches I use for them tons better and worth it!
Instead of using the $6.50 a ft marine wire I just went to car audio shop in fwb and bought some Aluminum Coated Audio Amp Wire (4ga) for $1.05 aft and ran it from my motor to my center console works great! I never have any problems but I'm sure there are people on here that will disagree with this method even though the wire is virtually the same. The stuff can handle a 1500w car audio amp which is a little over 433 amps total so I think it can handle the charging system from my little ol motor =P

Last edited by appleguy; 01-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.
appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Use Tinned Copper wire, That way it wont corrided and last longer..Its kinda pricey,but worth it..Im guessing you batteries, are probably like mine right infront of the motor but under the transom area, and its apain to do anything..I just had to replace my bilge pump and it was a PAIN..
wld1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Sailfish

We would be glad to do it for you. Let me see what I can get the cables for. Should be able to move your battery switch to under the console, then will just have to measure how long the cables need to be. What size is your motor so I can price the proper size wire.

gameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

i keep hearing mixed reason wht and why not you can use 2 gauge welding cable what is the diffrence in welding cable/amp wire/battery cable and tinned battery cable beside marine application on the tinned cable
floater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Here ya go. http://stores.ebay.com/Marine-Wire-Superstore?_rdc=1

Here's another, http://stores.ebay.com/Genuinedealz?_rdc=1

I've used both these stores before and never had any problems. Be sure you get the Tinned Marine wire and it wouldn't hurt to step up on your wire size because of the distance from the motor.

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

JoeyWelch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
i keep hearing mixed reason wht and why not you can use 2 gauge welding cable what is the diffrence in welding cable/amp wire/battery cable and tinned battery cable beside marine application on the tinned cable

I rewired my entire boat back in November with tinned marine wire. The wire that capehorn used when they built the boat was tinned marine also. I rewired because there were some splices and such that I did not like. When I pulled out the original wire that the boat was built with, You could strip it back and it looked just like the new wire I was putting back in. My Cape is a 95 model. That is the difference in the wire. Find a piece of regular copper wire on your boat that has been there for a few years and strip it back and look at it.

To use anything else would be a waste of time and money.

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

Last edited by JoeyWelch; 01-19-2011 at 06:13 PM.
JoeyWelch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in