rear-end accident - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Default rear-end accident

I've got an 96 F-150 that I got popped in the rear and shoved into a car the other night. my truck looks like it has a fat lip where front bumper rolled down, busted grill, and a bent rear bumper. FHP officer only issued a ticket to the person who hit me from behind.

never been in an accident before, I only have PIP insurance on my truck since any little ding, full coverage would total it..... but would the insurance of the person who hit me be responsible for my damages for front and rear bumpers, or anything or what?

Wasn't for the brackets that mount the front bumper being bent, i would just get replacement bumpers and grill from junkyard and change everything out myself but since the brackets are bent it will need some shop work. I'm just wondering where to go from here as far as having the damage fixed? I've been researching but all I come up with is lawyers websites lol

Also, anyone know of a decent cheap body shop that could do the work if I end up just paying out of pocket?
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
K-Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crestucky, Boggy, Pcola
Posts: 3,115
Default

sounds like the person behind you's insurance will prob end up totaling your truck. yes, they are responsible for both front and rear - provided they have a current policy. but yeah if the damage is that bad it may be a total.
K-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bill View Post
sounds like the person behind you's insurance will prob end up totaling your truck. yes, they are responsible for both front and rear - provided they have a current policy. but yeah if the damage is that bad it may be a total.
person infront of me and behind me both had geico which from what I've found online, isn't really good about making good with other drivers.... don't really want my truck to be totaled.....
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
K-Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crestucky, Boggy, Pcola
Posts: 3,115
Default

yeah it may not be, don't know. just something you may want to consider. and be thankful they have insurance. lots of folks get punted everyday like you were by someone with a suspended license or who didn't pay their bill.
K-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
Grouper
 
floridays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 730
Default

If it is just bumpers and brackets call BPA 494-9595 on hwy 29. They are the cheapest around for bumpers.

If the insurance company jerks you around call a lawyer to protect your rights. It will not cost you a thing since your not at fault. Let the lawyer do the work for you and GEICO will end up paying for that too.

Do not sign anything until you get a check that will cover repairing your truck.

Good luck
floridays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 956
Default

I got in a wreck in a 96 f150 about 2 years ago. I was headed down 98 in foley past 59 . A mexican pulled out in front of me ( yes I got a good fast look at him ) making a left hand turn in front of me. I noticed I wasnt going to make it . I hit the brakes and thought I could make the ditch on the other side of the road. I caught the rear of his car and it drug me back into head on traffic and hit a miata and then the ditch. I wasn't wearing seat belt. I went to the window and awoke in the passenger seat. lol I got out thought I killed the poor girl in the miata . She was out cold. The mexican guy left never to be caught. I had to pay for mine. She had to pay for hers. Only thing wrong with mine was new used front bumper and a head light and broken windshield .Wind shield being my dumb fault for not having on my belt. Built FORD TUFF. ( I can hear all the chevy guys in here cussing me ) Miata was totaled ( ofcourse ) .I went a long way to say that to say this , its a tuff truck and I wouldnt get rid of mine.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Default

Yeah I want to keep mine..... would a lawyer help me keep from the chance of geico trying to total it and Just fix it? Any recommendations? I'm 23 and just a bit ahead of living paycheck to paycheck thanks to overtime so I can't afford much out of pocket. Truck is paid for and has treated me great.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 956
Default

I would call them and talk them first . Tell them that you want to keep it , you just want it repaired. Let them know that you would like to settle this without a lawyer. Obviously do your homework and find out what the repairs are going to cost. Take it to get an estimate from a cheap , really expensive and a moderate costing place to get estimates. Maybe they will work with you on it. They may not , then I would call and seek the legal representation. Cant hurt to try it without lawyers though.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I would call them and talk them first . Tell them that you want to keep it , you just want it repaired. Let them know that you would like to settle this without a lawyer. Obviously do your homework and find out what the repairs are going to cost. Take it to get an estimate from a cheap , really expensive and a moderate costing place to get estimates. Maybe they will work with you on it. They may not , then I would call and seek the legal representation. Cant hurt to try it without lawyers though.
Recommendations for the cheap, expensive, and moderate places in pensacola? Need new bumpers,grill,headlights and plastic/chrome trim around lights. And brackets for front numerous which is an xlt so has the Eddie Bauer style bumper with air flow cutout
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Auburn Grad - 1999
White Marlin
 
Grassflatsfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I got in a wreck in a 96 f150 about 2 years ago. I was headed down 98 in foley past 59 . A mexican pulled out in front of me ( yes I got a good fast look at him ) making a left hand turn in front of me. I noticed I wasnt going to make it . I hit the brakes and thought I could make the ditch on the other side of the road. I caught the rear of his car and it drug me back into head on traffic and hit a miata and then the ditch. I wasn't wearing seat belt. I went to the window and awoke in the passenger seat. lol I got out thought I killed the poor girl in the miata . She was out cold. The mexican guy left never to be caught. I had to pay for mine. She had to pay for hers. Only thing wrong with mine was new used front bumper and a head light and broken windshield .Wind shield being my dumb fault for not having on my belt. Built FORD TUFF. ( I can hear all the chevy guys in here cussing me ) Miata was totaled ( ofcourse ) .I went a long way to say that to say this , its a tuff truck and I wouldnt get rid of mine.
Thats why I drive a Chevy. Would have waxed the other cars paint off and it would have looked good as new. No new bumper needed.

When I hear stuff like this and the story for this thread it makes me glad I have a umbrella policy with uninsured motorist. Just added protection for some other dummy. Think if you ended up crippled or you crippled that girl. Who's gonna bring you or her a pay check? It's cheap protection in a case like this.

I'd get a hold of Geico and see what they have to say. I'm sure they will be more than happy to just fix your ride vs totalling it out. Like was said above, do not sign anything until you are satisfied with the offer. Once you sign paper or cash that check the case is closed. That's consider automatic "Acceptance" in the eyes of the court and no turning back then.
Grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.