The real Navy - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree30Likes

Old 10-08-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default The real Navy

How many can remember this? 15 years out of 20 for myself on 6 Ships.MMC (DV) 5342.

I like the Navy. I like standing on deck on a long voyage with the sea in my face and ocean winds whipping in from
everywhere the feel of the giant steel ship beneath me, lit's engine driving against the sea. I like the Navy. I like the clang of steel, the ringing of the bell, the foghorns and strong laughter of Navy men at work. I like the ships of the Navy nervous darting destroyers, sleek cruisers, majestic battleships and
steady solid carriers. I like the names of the Navy ships: Midway, Hornet,
Enterprise, Sea Wolf, Iwo Jima, Wasp, Shangri-La, Tidewater and
Constitution, majestic ships of the line. I like the bounce of Navy music and the tempo of a Navy Band, "Liberty Whites" and the spice scent of a foreign port. I like shipmates I've sailed with . . . the kid from the Iowa cornfield, a pal from New York's Eastside, an Irishman from Boston, the boogie boarders of California, and of course a drawling friendly Texan. From all parts of the land they came, farms of the Midwest, small towns of New England, from the cities, the mountains and the prairies. All Americans, all are comrades in arms. All are men of the sea. I like the adventure in my heart when the ship puts out to sea, and I like the electric thrill of sailing home again, with the waving hands of welcome from family and friends waiting on shore. The work is hard, the going rough at times, but there's the companionship of robust Navy laughter, the devil-may-care philosophy of the sea. And after a day of hard duty, there is a serenity of the sea at dusk, as white caps dance on the ocean waves. The sea at night is mysterious. I like the lights of the
Navy in darkness -- the masthead lights, and red and green sidelights, and stern light. They cut through the night and look like a mirror of stars in darkness. There are quiet nights and the quiet of the mid-watch when the ghosts of all the sailors of the world stand with you.
And there is the aroma of fresh coffee from the galley. I like the legends of the Navy and the men who made them. I like the proud names of Navy heroes: Halsey, Nimitz, Perry, Farragut, and John Paul Jones. A man can find much
in the Navy -- comrades in arms, pride in a country. Aman can find himself.
In years to come, when the sailor is home from the sea, he will still remember with fondness the ocean spray on his face when the sea is angry. There will still come a faint aroma of fresh paint in his nostrils, the echo of
hearty laughter of the seafaring men who once were close companions. Locked on land, he will grow wistful of his Navy days, when the seas belonged to him and a new port of call was
always over the horizon. Remembering this, he will stand taller and say.
"ONCE I WAS A NAVY MAN."

Last edited by sealark; 10-08-2017 at 06:36 PM.
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
"ONCE I WAS A NAVY MAN."
HooYah! Thanks for posting.

Evan.
Retired,
Navy Mustang
Enlisted: CTTC(SS/SW)
Commissioned: Commander, USN.

Last edited by DAWGONIT; 10-09-2017 at 08:33 AM.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Sailfish

Thank God and all that ship on them.
daniel9829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Snapper

Six years and three ships for me. All Spruance class destroyers, USS O'Bannon, USS John Rogers and was TAD to USS Moosebrugger. GSM2
Bluecape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to speckledcroaker

Wirelessly posted

Yup retired swabby myself. I miss it. AMSC
Orion45 likes this.
speckledcroaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Seeing as how I was just an Army guy ... I don't really have much to offer in this thread.

Except:

(although I did spend about 5 months training at Indianhead Naval Ordnance Station ... does that count as having been in the Navy? "There's no head like Indianhead", we used to say )
halo1, FL Aggie and harley1 like this.

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 10-08-2017 at 07:12 PM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
Low speed, low drag.
Grand Slam

Heck the Army has more ships than the Navy, they just can’t drive em. The whole port/starboard thing confuses those fellas.
stewart_fish and AndyS like this.
grouper22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Andy you got everything to offer, you served this country and that's what counts.
floorman1 likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Andy you got everything to offer, you served this country and that's what counts.
Well, I did give the Navy serious consideration seeing how my Dad was a Navy guy in the Korean war. On an LST? I think. But it was like this .... I'd gotten tired of slinging beer kegs at Copper Mountain ski resort up in Colorado and thought I'd head for a warmer clime. It was January 1979 and the ride I hitched into Denver dropped me off in Aurora. So I'm walking down a street near the freeway looking for a place to get a bite to eat with $20 bucks to my name, started snowing & my sleeping bag all wet, when I spied a recruiting center in a strip mall. All four services lined up in a row next to each other. Figuring I'd dry out & warm up for a bit I went in on a whim. First I went into the Marine Corp office and, to tell ya the truth, that guy kinda scared me a little bit. Next I went over to the Air Force and, no offense to anyone or the USAF, but that dude seemed a little light in the loafers.... mentioned what a shame it was gonna be to cut my beautiful long hair and, I could have been wrong about it, but I kinda got the feeling the way his knee kept bumping into mine as he sat next to me looking at the literature might not have been entirely accidental?, so got out of there and hopped over to the Navy office. Now that dude seemed alright, regaled me with stories of exotic girls in foreign ports and was starting to get my interest ... but the part about long months at sea and having to get permission to leave the ship and all made me decide I'd have to think it over a bit. It well after noon then and I hadn't eaten that day yet, so I went to the Army office and found a crusty old Master Sergeant sitting at the desk. He took me straightaway over to a dive bar and grill nearby, fed me a big burger and fries, and we shared two or three pitchers of beer. We got back and right before I signed on with a guarantee for balmy Fort Polk, LA as my first post he told me: "remember, the only other thing you're promised here is three hots & a cot" I never forgot that. I did finally get my hair grown back out long again, though .... 30 some odd years later! And I do know my port from my starboard. (Port is a kind of wine, right?)
jim t, grouper22 and stc1993 like this.

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 10-08-2017 at 07:51 PM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
Mingo

I'm a Proud Dad of a navy F-18 pilot doing carrier landings as we speak and about to take a 3 week trip out.He just did a fly over for the Texas A&M game last weekend with 3 other jets....I'm extremely proud of all who serve this great country.Thank You
Orion45, Kamac and markdido like this.
haulingrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in