Question about selling a house? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Question about selling a house?

I heard today that some new law passed and now if you want to sell a house with Aluminum wiring you have to have it rewired with copper before it can sell. Is this true? Wow, this is just what we need right now. Also, I have AL in my house so if I am smart I have to rewire so if I ever need to sell I won't be screwed at the table. Can anyone confirm this? Details?
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Sailfish

call the building inspector in your area.

jack
jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Trigger

I dont think that this is anything new. AL wiring is notorious for causing fires and if you get a home inspection and they find AL wiring most home inspectors will advise that it is strongly recommended that all the wiring be replaced.. When I was selling houses just a few years ago I saw several deals fall through because of this. It was not mandated at the time but strongly recommended that the wiring be replaced. It would not surprise me if they have updated the building code to mandate replacement.
local_hooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Sailfish

local government building inspector has nothing to do with it..... and aluminum wiring isnt really all that bad, its all the junctions from aluminum to copper when you do a little remodeling or adding some cans/fans that cause the biggest threat. but like i said on gcfc, if you have it, you will have to get rid of it completely, and from multiple angles (lenders, insurance companies, etc). now or later....
?MEGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
White Marlin

Not true. You should spend the $ for aluminum recepticles. They run about $2.50 each at lowes. I have 1 in closing now and the aluminum wiring is no secret.
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Sailfish

james i think theres a misunderstanding across the board. its not a mandate by the government, yet.. its a mandate among title, mortgage, and insurance companies. you cant buy a house without one or the other. aluminum boxes dont help. if the oerson borrowed the money to buy the house and it had all al, and even with all al devices, and they decided to add a workshop outlet with a 12g copper romex and had a fire,--- mortgage company could possibly have a burnt house thats borderline worthless, and insurace company has a hell of a claim on their hand. theres anomalies to everything, esp as is purchased in full cash homes, but on a whole, this is true... AL has got to go.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Grand Slam

I have changed to all aluminum receptacles. I am just looking ahead to when I want to sell.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Sailfish

not to mention it could limit your potential market for a buyer, esp one thats on the up and up on home/building trends, as well as encourage low ball offers and or canceled contracts... i have many documented cases of such... spooney bite the bullet and get the house rewired and call it a day.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
White Marlin

My home has passed the FHA inspection. As far as insurance companies go only 1 Citizens will write them. There is a loop hole. Citizens only requires a 4-point if the home is 40 or 50 years old. So you can slide in just don't mention the wiring and they won't ask.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?MEGA View Post
not to mention it could limit your potential market for a buyer, esp one thats on the up and up on home/building trends, as well as encourage low ball offers and or canceled contracts... i have many documented cases of such... spooney bite the bullet and get the house rewired and call it a day.
If you have the cash do it but don't expect a good return on the investment. It will just pass quicker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in