• 1 Post By cuzmondo
  • 1 Post By Hopin4aboat
  • 1 Post By NKlamerus

Old 01-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Default Q. Fuel pump - Chevy pickup

2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 2wd

So the truck stops dead in the road a few days ago while pulling a light trailer with about a ton of sand on it. No warning ... have had no issues and I tend to kinda pay attention to what my motor's doing. Will barely run but I'm close to home so I limp her home ... barely. Starts easy ... but idles really rough, and no power at all under acceleration.

Check a few things ... put the code reader on it. Yup, there's the one I've known about for some time .... front o2 sensor on bank 2. Also threw a new code related to the fuel system I've not seen before. So after probing the TPS & a few other sensors under the hood with a multimeter, and just a general inspection of various things and finding nothing and fearing bad stuff I start thinking .... hmmm, fuel filter? Nah, that'd be too easy! It never goes that easy for me ... but that fuel gauge has been sticky for some time now.

Run down to Autozone this a.m. (after coffee & perusing the news & the PFF on the interwebs for a couple of hours first of course), pick up a new fuel filter. 10 minutes off & on & now I'm a happy man.

Question is .... should I replace the in-tank fuel pump as well? Esp what with that sticky fuel gauge issue I've been having for a couple of years now? Also .... what about pulling the whole fuel tank and cleaning it out? Worthwhile? Not looking forward to lifting the bed to do that ... but I've done it before for something else so not like it's beyond my shade-tree experience level.

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 01-29-2017 at 12:45 PM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
White Marlin

f/p replacement is really not needed and those years are notorious for having repeat problems with the fuel gauge. I had a 97 that I replaced the pump 3 times because of the gauge and my daughter was driving it.....finally stopped messing with it and never had a problem with the pump, with regular filter changes....just the gauge
AndyS likes this.
brnbser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Sailfish

Andy, how many miles? I had the same vintage (2001) Chevy with the 5.3. Had the sticky gauge problem for years too. I replaced the fuel pump at about 150K just because I thought it was nearing the end of it's life. Usually when they poop out, they just die. Sometimes you can hear a buzzing sound from them when they're nearing the end of their life. Oh, and you can replace the pump without fully removing the bed, but it you have the means to lift it off (floor crane or some good friends) that's probably easier. Otherwise, take all the bolts out of the drivers side and loosen all the bolts on the passenger side so that only a few threads are left holding, disconnect the taillight wiring and jack up the left side as high as you can and block it up. It's tight, but doable.

Unless you found crud in the filter or something, I see no reason to worry about removing and cleaning the tank.
AndyS likes this.

Last edited by cuzmondo; 01-29-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Cleaning tank
cuzmondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
White Marlin

Catalytic converter does the same thing, glad it was as simple as a fuel filter. I would just replace as needed if it's easy to get to
AndyS likes this.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Grouper

If it's running seems like the pump is working but you have a flow issue, a vacuum leak, or a misfire. could be a leaking / clogged injectors as well. If you don't smell raw fuel in the engine bay or anywhere else I would chase the other things. YouTube those things above and u should be able to find it.
Bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopin4aboat View Post
Catalytic converter does the same thing, glad it was as simple as a fuel filter. I would just replace as needed if it's easy to get to
That's one thing I was really fearing. Couldn't hear any rattles though just tapping on 'em with a mallet ... and I don't have a temperature sensing tool. Guess I oughta go ahead & replace that one O2 sensor as well while I got all my tools spread out & a can of PB Blaster handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzmondo View Post
Andy, how many miles?
Truck only has about 135,000 on it. Looks like h*ll & I don't drive it a lot .... mostly just to pull the boat & mc trailer. Mostly short local trips & the occasional longer.

Last edited by AndyS; 01-29-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
White Marlin

I wouldn't pull the tank and I'd probably wait to do the pump anyways. 135k is practically new for a truck that old!

When/if you do replace it, clean out the "well" area where it sites. I have no idea why GM would place it in the gap between the bed and box but it's retarded. Rain water, leaves, acorns; all get stuck and sit there against the pump head.
AndyS likes this.
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKlamerus View Post
I wouldn't pull the tank and I'd probably wait to do the pump anyways. 135k is practically new for a truck that old!

When/if you do replace it, clean out the "well" area where it sites. I have no idea why GM would place it in the gap between the bed and box but it's retarded. Rain water, leaves, acorns; all get stuck and sit there against the pump head.
I already had to patch the brake line last year where it goes across between the cab & the bed. Brake pedal suddenly went to the floor while driving. Surprise!

Turns out debris collects there & captures/holds moisture. Rusted a a small section of brake line through. Design flaw.

Like I said ... truck looks like h*ll, but I think I'll keep her awhile yet.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by AndyS; 01-31-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I already had to patch the brake line last year where it goes across between the cab & the bed. Brake pedal suddenly went to the floor while driving. Surprise!

Turns out debris collects there & captures/holds moisture. Rusted a a small section of brake line through. Design flaw.

Like I said ... truck looks like h*ll, but I think I'll keep her awhile yet.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Had the same thing happen on my Duramax! Hauling a dump trailer with firewood down 285 and all of the sudden my pedal went to the floor.

Made it back safely with the transmission brake and trailer brakes.

The truck was from Chicago you can imagine what the lines looked like.....
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in