Prescription drug question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
CCC
Grand Slam

Default Prescription drug question

Is there any law that says you CAN NOT TAKE prescription medication after the expiration date ? I know it might not be a wise thing but let's say the Doc prescribes you pain medication for anything, back, wisdom teeth, whatever.......and you take some after the expiration is that illegal ? I am asking because at work we have to divulge any medications we are taking and "RUMOR" is if anything was to show up in a piss test and you do not have a CURRENT prescription you could be terminated. My thinking is you got the prescription legally you can take it whenever the hell you want, just wanted oppinions you may have.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikvi

Kind of a gray area. I used to inverstigate illegal drug in for the military and have seen it go both ways. Strickly speaking, you are abusing the drug if it is not being used for the specific time period and reason stated by the prescribing physician. Some of these type of cases went to court, usually with other circumstances involved. The bottom line is to ask your company their policy. The fact you are asking the question at all leads me to believe you already know their answer.
Mikvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Sailfish

Also, be aware that medications have an expiration date for a reason -- other than to sell more drugs. Some medications and compounds degrade over time -- and can turn into things that can be quite harmful to you and your health... Remember, at some dosage level -- all drugs become poisons rather than medications... Disposing of old medications properly (no, don't flush them down the toilet) is the best choice.

If you have a condition where the same medication may be required again -- most physicians will grant a refill with simply a phone call if it is warranted and the condition does not have a medical need to be seen again.
scubapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

or you could go back to your dr. and tell him the situation and your still having some pain and get him to write you a new perscription and the problem goes away
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye48 View Post
or you could go back to your dr. and tell him the situation and your still having some pain and get him to write you a new perscription and the problem goes away
In a lot of cases, any employee that is suffering a physical condition or injury that requires prescription med's to function (other than a recent dental visit) will probably be sent home until a Doctors release is written in the form of a "fit for duty" slip. There is employer liability and work safety issues involved....
Hell, I've done the same thing though with old pain killers and a once or twice a year migraine.... Hope it works out for you....
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Snapper

I remember a Mythbusters (or similar show) that actually went over the expiration dates. The majority of prescription drugs out there were good for up to 2-3 years after the expiration date with a few exceptions. I am looking to find the info online about this but nothing yet.

One sticking point is multi-vitamins with Chromium, where the Chromium starts to become toxic (due to oxygenation) a month or two after the expiration date.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in