pizza delivery - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Like Tree5Likes

Old 12-13-2015, 03:50 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default pizza delivery

My wife and I often don't agree on how much to tip the pizza delivery person. I think about five dollars on a fifteen dollar bill. Im I cheep or what.
RAZORBACK101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 03:55 AM   #2
Grouper

Hell no. That's over 30%. He probably didn't make it, he just drove it to your house
bhudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
White Marlin

That's more than enough. I'd rather spend that $20 and make my own. Actually $20 can buy you enough ingredients to make a lot of pizza
Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

That's a standard tip. I will say back in the day when I delivered pizza going to night school those guys didn't make crap, at lease gas prices have given them a break. Think about it you gladly pay a waitress 5 bucks to just walk back and forth in the restaurant or a bar tender walking a few feet BUT the pizza delivery guy is running literally, paying gas, car insurance which is now higher because it is used on the job. I would get people way out not even tip, after you hauled ass to get them a hot pizza.

BTW the delivery fee that the pizza company charges you does NOT go to the driver.

Last edited by Boat-Dude; 12-13-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Boat-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Sailfish

What does your bride think would be a good tip? 5 seems plenty to me.
KingCrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I don't care too much fer pizza but I had been seeing the stuffed crust pizza from Pappa Murphy's. So the other day we went by and got one ($15.00). It was purty dern good. The crust was purty dense but heck I love crust of the pizza anyways....

$5.00 tip on a 15 delivery is more then enough though!!!

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
Tangle Master
White Marlin

$5 dollar tip on a $15 bill is a good tip. I have delivered pizza for extra income a couple times and most people are not that generous.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

That's a good tip. Went thru the Tops hamburger place in FWB on Wed got a $5ish order. Won't be going there for a looong time since I'm leaving the city, gave em a $10 for the tip jar, it's the holidays.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

I tend to tip pizza delivery above the average you might tip a restaurant waiter (when I do have one delivered .... which is not often.)

They really don't make crap for what they do & for many it's a second-job, so you gotta give 'em a little credit for being willing to hustle for that little bit of extra money.

If I'm not feeling like handing a pizza delivery driver at least a 5 buck tip ... I go pick it up myself.

And as to doing a percentage of the order cost ... well, that's really irrelevant to pizza delivery (unless they're bringing you like 50 pizzas or something)

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 12-13-2015 at 12:06 PM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Sailfish

Here's my point. And I've worked in restaurants for a long time, and actually worked at one place in Jacksonville that was the go to for pizza delivery (we were open until 4am!).

I hate that business' in America make us pay server's/delivery guy's instead of the company paying for them. I think it's BS. In Europe...people don't tip, because they get a regular wage. Anyways....

For me, $5 is a minimum. I usually make it a flat $20 even no matter what my pizza order was. Its usually $12.xx so I just round it to $20.

The reason for this is because they actually have more upfront money than what a normal server/waiter does. They have gas and car maintenance. Some of the guys I worked with would easily put $50k miles on their car in a single year. That is alot of maintenance. And they only get paid from the company the same that a server would...so about $3/hr. And their company will usually help some with gas, but generally its not 100% cover. Its usually about 80%. Right now it may be 100% because prices are low, but when they go up...they generally pay out of their own pocket.

If I tip them the same as I would a normal server, they are already in the hole. I mostly tip them for their gas and car upkeep...that's why I tip them higher. I don't order delivery very often for this very reason though.

I'm not going to bust people's chops about what is fair enough...but I think I've explained it well enough to know you should tip more than what you would just sitting in a restaurant and tipping the server.
AndyS likes this.
holicori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in