"Pig Bomb" on Discovery Channel - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Snapper

Default "Pig Bomb" on Discovery Channel

Sorry if this is a rerun and already discussed. I have the Miami game on the small TV and watching this show on the other right now. Pretty interesting show about the explosion of wild hog populations. Any of you hunters had some unexpected encouters with any before? Are they as aggressive as it sounds? I'm pretty ignorant to all things hunting related. I also remember hearing about a group that used to run "hog dogs" a few years ago north of Pensacola somewhere. Need to get some kevlar for those dogs by the looks of it.
d45miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Sailfish

As my nick suggests, I am a hog dogger. Yes wild/feral swine is a tuff critter. I know of countless numbers of dead dogs buried from california to north carolina. We run 4 layer cut vests and collars on the dogs with 2 layers being kevlar on the higher end gear. They can still be killed from blunt force trauma with no tusk penetration.

I know of half a dozen or so major injuries to the humans as well... The population is growing and spreading pretty well.

I was a state licensed "Nuisance wildlife trapper" before they did away with the permitting.

Many of my clients (I did not often charge for hog removal jobs) were VERY UPSCALE subdivisions that adjoined state lands in central fl. these lands were not WMA's... it was Florida wildlife sanctuary with ZERO hunting allowed... Hogs loved that!

Surgical staple guns were a god send to hog doggers. Before that, you had to know how to stitch yer dogs or have a trusted vet on call. It can be hard to find a vet that don't have tree hugger animal "RIGHTS" FREAKS who assume these are dog fighting injuries... since the best "catch dogs" are bull breeds.

Brent
hogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

I watched a Tred Barta episode where they used dogs to chase then "subdue" a hog while Tred snuck up from behiind and stuck a big knife in the hogs heart from underneath.

Not as ballsy as those guys on the tower but a manly way to hunt no doubt. And those dogs were FEARLESS. Are they trained (I don't need details) or do they naturally chase and latch on to the hogs? Is it exclusively hogs or are the inclined to chase anything that runs?

Very cool way to hunt.

Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Sailfish

Very little to train into the finding/baying dogs or the bulldogs... they either want it or they don't... some "puppy work" but that is more to decide if you want to continue working the dog or not.
Habits are what we look for... Dogs that are "open on track" for one habit have to learn to shut up or go to a deer dogger... Hogs will play that dog for a chump.

We don't "stick" a caught hog unless he is wrecking the dogs... We "tip and tie" meaning a person (or 2 for a real large hog) grab the back legs, twist arms to put the hog on his side than we tie him up and haul him home alive... Gives us more time to butcher fresher meat and with a pen we can feed them out on corn for a week and let the adrenaline and/or testosterone to dissipate from the meat for better flavor.

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; 09-24-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Sailfish

We have to "trash break" for chasing deer, dillers, coons or cattle etc... but one or 2 "good doggie" for pigs, and a good dog knows what we are after...

A good bulldog will catch for the love of the scrap. My 2 best girls were catching a 25-30 pound pig at 10 weeks...

Brent
Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Very cool Brent.

Thanks,

Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in