Pay Pal and ebay, whatch out. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE
Default Pay Pal and ebay, whatch out.

I'm new to the ebay thing on the selling end and got totaly screwed.

My 14 year old wanted to sell his ipod Touch so he created an ebay account and a paypal account, within 2 days he had a buyer. I thought it was quick but was happy for him mostly. He forwarded a email from paypal to me that said paypal had recieved and approved payment and were waiting on a tracking number to transfer the money to my paypal account. So I went to the post office in Navarre on Saturday right before they closed and sent it express International, got the tracking # and sent it to my son to get to paypal so we could collect the " Collected approved" Payment.

Right after he got an email from ebay telling him the buyer was not register with them and he was a victim of fraud and to report it.

I went first thing in the morning today , the first day they were open after I shipped it and they tell me I'm outta luck it was already out of the country as of the 17th, Sunday.

I am so freaking pissed right now. I have ordered many things and alot from overseas and I can see them scanned in at 5-7 places before even getting to the US but this is out of the country within 18 hiurs of me shipping it???? WTF ????

Just so you all know, come to find out Paypal does not send out emails, I found out the hard way. Don't send anything until you see the money in your paypal account, PERIOD!!!
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Sailfish

Lesson well learned. I don't deal with ebay or paypal. I like buying from people in person. You are opening up a can of worms when you buy over the internet. I did buy a boat off ebay 8 yrs ago, but made contact with the owner and went and got it.

Accutech Carpet And Tile Cleaning

850-529-1335
kelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Grouper

I have bought nearly 90 things off of ebay all with paypal. I havent had a problem at all. I have sold 6 things and used paypal but I did confirm before I shipped. It sux that you had to learn the hard way.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Over the years I have bought and sold literally hundreds of items. Have never had but one problem, and that was I bought a Garmin 2006 for $100.00. I caught the bidding just right. Well the guy sends me a E-mail saying that he wasn't the person selling the GPs. I know he didn't get as much as what he wanted, so he claimed it wasn't him.....yea RIGHT!!

PayPal is not just for buying... it can be used just to send money. I make a modification for a motorized bike clutch and sell it for $17.00 to the door. In order to avoid PayPal charges you can send the money, using the "personal" tab and as a "gift", (non E-Bay).

Unless you have faith in the person you are dealing with, don't send items until money is in your account. If accepting PO money orders and or checks, don't send item till the PO money order or check clears.

Occasionally if I feel good about whom I'm dealing with, I'll cross ship (to guys on the forum) . That is send item while the check is in the mail (they pass one another en route). If I get stuck, it isn't for much, and haven't yet. I've sent the part to all over the US, Canada and even to France. In fact I have a Cashiers Check from a guy in France...it got here 3 days after he received my shipment.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Man View Post
Over the years I have bought and sold literally hundreds of items. Have never had but one problem, and that was I bought a Garmin 2006 for $100.00. I caught the bidding just right. Well the guy sends me a E-mail saying that he wasn't the person selling the GPs. I know he didn't get as much as what he wanted, so he claimed it wasn't him.....yea RIGHT!!

PayPal is not just for buying... it can be used just to send money. I make a modification for a motorized bike clutch and sell it for $17.00 to the door. In order to avoid PayPal charges you can send the money, using the "personal" tab and as a "gift", (non E-Bay).

Unless you have faith in the person you are dealing with, don't send items until money is in your account. If accepting PO money orders and or checks, don't send item till the PO money order or check clears.

Occasionally if I feel good about whom I'm dealing with, I'll cross ship (to guys on the forum) . That is send item while the check is in the mail (they pass one another en route). If I get stuck, it isn't for much, and haven't yet. I've sent the part to all over the US, Canada and even to France. In fact I have a Cashiers Check from a guy in France...it got here 3 days after he received my shipment.
You mentioned a motorized bike and caught my attention about the clutch. I'm on my third one I'm building right now and they get better each time with practice and I'm making a dollar or two as well but would like to know about your mod if you don't mind. What does it do/help with?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsar592 View Post
I have bought nearly 90 things off of ebay all with paypal. I havent had a problem at all. I have sold 6 things and used paypal but I did confirm before I shipped. It sux that you had to learn the hard way.

The problem is not with ebay and paypal, the problem is with international shipments. I get orders payed with paypal every day, but 100% of them are domestic where I have recourse. For international sales I require wire transfer or payment by western union money in minutes.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Sailfish

One of the services that Ebay and PayPal should provide to a "seller" is "Seller Protection" I say this because they make their percentage off of every Ebay transaction and it should be reconfigured to help the seller as well. I like the Western Union idea, but I think I won't accept International Buyers from now on after reading this.
Chris
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Trigger

I run an internet business for a company out of the NYC area. We use ebay and paypal and have over 1900 transactions without any problems. There are just a few things you need to do inorder to not get screwed. Never buy from/sell to overseas accounts , there are some good but many bad. Never ship an item until you have payment in your account. Lastly never ship an item to an unconfirmed address. If you follow those 3 rules you will never have a problem.

Incidentally one of the companies that we buy from is a marine wholesaler if you guys ever need anything hit me up and maybe I can save you some money.
local_hooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by local_hooker View Post
.... Lastly never ship an item to an unconfirmed address. ..
Unconfirmed address? I know how it works on the credit card side of the house. Whenever I buy something on the internet and choose to ship it to other than to my billing address, I confirm the address with the credit card company. I have several confirmed addresses on my credit card account to save future hassles.

Now to my question: I sell an item on eBay and use paypal. Once I confirm the payment is in my account, why the need to confirm the shipping address? Also, how does a private seller confirm an address?

Thanks.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion45 View Post
Unconfirmed address? I know how it works on the credit card side of the house. Whenever I buy something on the internet and choose to ship it to other than to my billing address, I confirm the address with the credit card company. I have several confirmed addresses on my credit card account to save future hassles.

Now to my question: I sell an item on eBay and use paypal. Once I confirm the payment is in my account, why the need to confirm the shipping address? Also, how does a private seller confirm an address?

Thanks.
Ebay is the one who confirms the address and if you ship to that address then you are protected through their buyer protection program. If you ship to an address that they have not verified then you are SOL
local_hooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in