Our trip to Pa. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Our trip to Pa.

Our trip to Pa.
Thought I'd share a few pics of our trip back to my hometown. Shamokin,Pa. Went up to celebrate birthdays for my Nephew and my Moms 70th. Had to take a run up to my favorite stretch of Penns Creek.

The sun starting to burn the off the morning haze.

Shane trying to get one out of a fast riffle.

Here's a little fishing cabin that I always thought was in such a great setting. Look out the windows to a nice bend in the creek which backs right up to the mountain.

I couldn't pass up a couple flower shots.

Next, partII

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Part II
Well the Trout didn't cooperate. Heard there was a die off this year from the heat. Still had fun with the Chubs and a bunch of small Bass. Stopped off at the Sportsman's Club to see what they're supposed to look like.

These are for teasing the fishermen. Some nice healthy fish.

Alittle blurry but a nice Palamino.

And a couple nice Buck taking a break.

Now what would a trip be without us going to bust some rocks! My wife flew up and had to take her to a couple of my old fossil hunting grounds. First spot produced a bunch of Fern Tree and Connifer Tree fossils. Found ones of the leaves, frawns, bark and wood of the Fern Tree.

This is the bark of the Fern Tree, reminds me of Ostrich skin.

The next spot is a pretty well known geologic area called the Whaleback. It was formed during the Carboniferous period 350-300 MYA when Pa. was 5 to 10 degrees from the Equator. It's one of the few areas where you can see an Anticline(middle folds up) and syncline(middle folds down) in the same place. These were caused by the Contenents colliding when Pangaea was forming. In this pic I'm standing on one of the Anticlines and two more to the right. Look close in the middle to see the Syncline where the rock dips down.

Here's a close up of it.

Another neat feature is the Iron concretions that are big bumps that stick out all over the place.

Some close ups.

Here's a shot of the wall and Karmen digging around. Shows some perspective of the size.

I have to laugh thinking about TSA openning my suitcase to find 45lbs of fossils. Guess they see it all.
Well folks, hope you enjoyed the tour, rides over!

Skip
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
White Marlin

Is that cabin in Coburn or Englebee, it looks like the catch and release section of Penn's creek around that area.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Thats probably the stretch your thinking of. It's about 4 or 5 miles above Wiekert(sp). I've heard they quit stocking up that far and they do encourage catch and release. Saw Deer, Turkey and a Bald Eagle up there. Not one other soul on the creek all day.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
White Marlin

I just looked it up its about 35 miles down stream still beautiful but if you have a chance next time go to englebee and check it out. It's catch and release only by law with some huge fish a great place to see.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in